POST: IR - Gordini Fever Gloves - Chuck Carnes

  • Chuck Carnes
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2008
      IR - Gordini Fever Gloves - Chuck Carnes

      HTML Version:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR-Gordini%20Fever%20Gloves-Chuck/

      Text Version:
      GORDINI
      F E V E R
      Gloves

      Initial Report: November 30, 2008

      Biographical Information
      Name: Chuck Carnes
      Age: 38
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)
      Weight: 175 lbs (79 kg)
      E-mail Address: ctcarnes AT yahoo DOT com
      City, State, Country: Greenville, South Carolina, USA Backpacking Background
      I love the outdoors – I’ve spent time camping in the outdoors since I was born, and have been actively hiking and backpacking since then. I consider myself a lightweight hiker, usually carrying 20 – 30 pounds (11-13 kg) for hikes up to a week in length. I hike at an easy pace, averaging 2 mph (3 kph). I am a one-man tent camper for now. I like to carry a single trekking pole when I hike to help relieve stress to my legs and knees. I like to get out on the trail as often as I can.

      I N I T I A L R E P O R T
      November 30, 2008
      PRODUCT INFORMATION
      Manufacturer: Gordini
      Model: Fever (Style #: 4G2039)
      Size: Medium
      Color: Black
      Year of manufacture: 2008

      Listed Weight: Not listed
      Actual Weights: 6 oz ( g) (for pair)

      MSRP: Not Listed

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
      The Gordini Fever is a breathable, insulated glove. The breathable insert that makes it so nice is the 'Aquabloc'. It is an insert between the outer layer and the lining. It is waterproof, windproof and breathable. The inserts are a seam sealed membrane and allows hand moisture to escape but keeps the heat in. The insulation is what is called 'lavawool'. It is a wool fleece blend. It stays drier longer and manages the moisture more effectively than pure wool and pure synthetics. The Fever is also part of Godini's 'Green' line that uses recycled wool and thinsulate.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS
      The Gordini Fever showed up in the color and size I requested. Upon first inspection I noticed a few lose threads but nothing major, but I will keep my eye out on these. On first look they appeared to be very thick and possibly hard to maneuver my fingers while having them on. After weighing them and cutting the tags, I put them on. They felt a little snug but I like that in a glove. Another size up would be too big and I think the fingers would be too long. With them being a little snug, I feel like I can grab things better since they are some what thick and very insulated.

      The feel of the soft fleece inside is nice and warm. The outer layer seems durable, waterproof and windproof. I am curious to see how well the leather palm, knuckles and finger tips hold up to the outdoor abuse. The finger tips feel insulated but my fingers get very cold easily so I hope they are insulated enough.

      The cuffs have elastic around the wrist area with a short 3 in (7 cm) extension collar that covers the rest of the wrist. One side of each glove either has a clasp or ring to be able to join together to keep the pair from getting separated. Also, inside the glove at the wrist is and elastic loop that can be placed over the hand and onto the wrist as the gloves are being put on so that the gloves can be taken off and they hang from the wrist, again, so as not to loose them. The top of the cuff has a hook and loop tab that can adjust the tightness around the wrist.
      So far the gloves seem to be made of quality material and very durable. The insulation seems sufficient and warm as well as the outer layer seems waterproof and windproof. I am curious to see if the collar is long enough to keep out wind and snow if it is tucked under my jacket cuff. So far I have no dis-likes for the Gordini Fever

      This concludes my Initial Report.
      Check back in February for my Field Report
      Thank you Gordini and BackpackGearTest.org for this opportunity.