IR - Gordini Fever Gloves - Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2008
      Hi Jason,

      I've posted my IR for the Gordini Fever gloves to the test folder.  Edits welcome!

      Nancy

      http://tinyurl.com/6czmmn

      GORDINI FEVER GLOVES
      TEST SERIES BY NANCY GRIFFITH
      IR
      December 01, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Nancy Griffith
      EMAIL: bkpkrgirlATyahooDOTcom
      AGE: 42
      LOCATION: Northern California
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
      WEIGHT: 132 lb (60.00 kg)
      HAND LENGTH: 7 in (17.8 cm)
      HAND CIRCUMFERENCE: 7.5 in (19 cm)

      My outdoor experience began in high school with involvement in a local canoeing/camping group called Canoe Trails.  The culmination was a 10-day canoe voyage through the Quebec wilds.  I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania.  I have completed all of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina.  Now I usually hike in the Sierra Nevada of California.  Most of my trips are section hikes or loops from a few days to a week.  I carry a light to mid-weight load, use a tent, stove and hiking poles.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Gordini
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.gordini.com" LINK TEXT = "http://www.gordini..com">>
      MSRP: US$50
      Listed Weight: Not available
      Measured Weight: 143 g (5 oz)
      Size Tested: Women's Medium
      Also available: Men's S, M, L and Women's S, L
      Color Tested: Black (also available for Men)
      Also available: Dark Chocolate (Men and Women)
      Other details provided by manufacturer on the tag inside of one glove:
      Shell: 100% Polyester
      Trim: 85% Polyester/ 9% Wool/ 6% Nylon
      Palm: 100% Genuine Leather
      Lining: 90% Polyester/ 10% Wool
      Interlining: 65% Polyolefin/ 35% Polyester
      Insert: 96% Polyurethane/ 4% Other
      Padding: Polyurethane Foam
      Made in China
      This information is also listed in French on the opposite side.

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The gloves came with a small plastic display hanger that was attached to either glove with a nylon strap.  The nylon strap has a recycle logo and says 'Gordinigreen'.  There were also 5 hang tags for the following: 'AquaBloc', 'lavawool', 'Gordinigreen', Style/Size/Color, and Women's Medium (also in French on back).
      The Fever gloves are part of a new 'green' line of gloves which are made with some recycled materials.  In this glove the recycled materials are used in the Thinsulate insulation and in the shell.
      The shell is a three layer soft shell fabric called AquaBloc which is supposed to be windproof and waterproof while being breathable.  It has a diagonal print on the knuckles for a bit of fashion style.  The palm, fingers and thumb have a leather layer for durability.
      The insulation is Thinsulate.  The liner material is a blend of fleece and wool called lavawool to help move moisture away from hands.   The fingers are sewn in a way that has them bent slightly.
      The gloves extend an inch (2.5 cm) or so past the wrist and have a hook and loop closure strap at the bottom of the glove.  There is a thin stretchy section under the strap which fills the gap left by the adjustment slit.
      There is an elastic silicone grip leash sewn to the end of each glove.  The pair can be held together with a small clip buckle.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      There is a caution label inside of one glove which says to remove the gloves by pulling each finger individually so that the weather proof liner does not get inverted by pulling the hand out quickly.  This caution is also listed in French on the back.
      This makes sense since the waterproof liner can't be sewn to the shell or else it would have a bunch of holes in it.  Just from putting on and pulling off the gloves several times, I didn't really see that it would be very easy to invert the liner.  But it is nice to be aware of the possibility.
      I did not find any washing instructions included.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS & TRYING IT OUT

      My first impression when trying on the gloves was that they seemed small.  However, my husband noted that they fit me perfectly.  There is ample room for my finger length with the webbing hitting just right between my fingers.  This seems to put my knuckles in the right locations too.  I am able to make a fist with some slight resistance felt since there is no stretch in the back of the gloves.  The liner is soft and comfortable on my hands.  I cannot feel any seams or unevenness.  Wool typically makes my skin itch and become slightly irritated, but I did not notice any reaction at all to the lavawool liner.
      I then dragged out several pairs of my old gloves and found that most of them are Men's sizes.  Since Women's sizes weren't readily available when I purchased most of my work gloves and ski gloves, I have gotten used to wearing gloves that are too big.  It seems that the only properly fitting gloves that I own are my bike gloves.  It will be interesting to test these gloves.
      The construction of the gloves is well-done.  The seams are complete and uniform with no loose threads.  The tags are sewn in evenly..  The tags for the caution and material content are large.  I will leave them there for the test but cannot wait to cut them off.  The elastic silicone grip leashes also are in the way when they are not used.  I'll give it a fair shot to see if these bother me or not and whether I find them useful.

      PROS & CONS

      Things I like so far:
      Weatherproof
      Fit/comfort
      Things I'm not so sure about:
      Usefulness of elastic leash

      SUMMARY

      The Fever gloves are not yet on the Gordini website, so I cannot comment on how they compare to their advertising.  However, I could not find a sizing chart on their website.  I tried to call customer service, but it was after their hours.  So I searched the internet for Gordini glove sizing and found another pair of Gordini gloves and used that sizing chart.
      Overall the gloves are high quality and have some great winter features.  I'm looking forward to getting out in the cold and snow.
      Thanks to Gordini and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to test these gloves.
      This concludes my Initial Report.  The Field Report will be appended to this report in approximately two months from the date of this report.  Please check back then for further information.

      Copyright 2008.  All rights reserved.