FR - Jublo Trail sunglasses - Coy Boy

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2008
      Hello Bill and all, here is my FR for the Jublo trail sunglasses. I
      just bought my first ever Bama hat today and managed to get a photo of
      it in the report...I also included the link to a Video but Vimeo does
      not link to a bunch of junk videos like youtube (only mine so I guess
      that is not completely true...) Anyways, I will remove it if the Mods
      say so (Leesa is checking with them). Otherwise, thanks for all edits
      and comments. Enjoy!

      HTML found here

      http://tinyurl.com/65z87r

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR%20-
      %20Jublo%20Trail%20sunglasses%20-%20Coy%20Boy/

      Field Report: November 30, 2008

      jt 5 Pic of me on a day hike

      Testing Locations and Conditions
      All testing was done in Northeast Alabama. My testing has consisted
      of a lot of everyday wear, including driving. I also wore them on 4
      kayak day paddles, about a dozen bike rides and the same number of day
      hikes. The first several weeks of riding, hiking and kayaking were in
      beautiful fall weather with highs near 80 F (27 C) which sometimes
      felt a little too warm for climbing steep hills. When it got too cold
      to ride my recumbent and kayak I would go for a hike and even had my
      kayaking buddies along for a few of them. I hiked in temperatures as
      cold as 36 F (2 C). I rode my recumbent in nice weather mostly but
      did manage one cool ride and on a chilly 51 F (11 C) day. The
      kayaking trips were taken on the warmest days possible. Elevations
      ranged from around 600 to 1200 ft (183 to 366 m).

      jt 6 kayak pic

      Field Test Results
      As mentioned above, several of my early fall day hikes and recumbent
      rides were in nice warm weather. Nothing much to report on those
      except that the sunglasses were very comfortable and I had no trouble
      with the glasses distorting my view of the trail or the road. Then I
      went for a hike on a very cold and windy afternoon in which the
      temperature was 41 F (5 C) when I left the house and 36 F (2 C) when I
      got home just before dark. I considered this the first real test of
      the anti-fog abilities of the Jublo Trails. They did great as there
      was absolutely no fogging of the lenses and I was able to see the
      trail even in the fading light. This photo shows me at the top of the
      mountain and the sweat was flowing freely.

      jt 7 pic of sweat...

      A couple of days later I went for another hike with some friends. We
      had planned a kayaking trip for the day but decided it was to cold and
      windy at 54 F (12 C) and strong winds...the local news was giving lake
      wind advisories and I generally try not to go kayaking in those
      conditions. So, I invited the gang for a nice hike down to the creek
      behind my house. We walked down to the creek using a trial I hike all
      the time but then went off trail for awhile as we continued down the
      creek. In many places we had to climb up steep banks to get around
      places that were impassable down along the creek. I didn't get
      slapped with any limbs as I have learned to not follow closely behind
      anyone but I have poked myself in the eyes before. It was reassuring
      to have on the Jublo Trails.

      However, a few weeks later I had another chance to test the anti-
      fogging even better. I say even better because I have had more
      trouble with fogging when riding my bent as apposed to just hiking.
      It was 51 F (11 C) for this particular ride off the mountain and this
      kind of cool weather is normally when I have trouble with my glasses
      fogging, even my bike specific glasses with so called venting lenses.
      The trouble usually occuurs when I have worked up a good sweat and
      then stop riding for a rest break but I didn't see any fogging at all.
      A video of this ride can be seen here. http://www.vimeo.com/2309481

      jt 8 bike photo

      A few weeks later I went for another day hike, only this time there
      was no trail at all. The day was actually warmer than normal as it
      reached 66 F (19 C) by the time I finished the 6 mile (10 km) 5 hour
      hike (I rested a lot...). I finally ended up on an old overgrown wagon
      road but it was covered with small trees and the weeds and briars
      typical of this type trail. I did manage to get a small twig lodged
      between the frame and one of the lens but luckily I stopped
      immediately or I might have damaged that lens. I looked and could not
      find any scratches but I did notice the glasses were a lot dirtier
      after this trip. However they are still very clear to see thru. And
      speaking of seeing with them, I have found the lens transition to be
      great. When in bright light they transition down to a dark color but
      if I go inside they are quick to transition back to a very light
      color. In fact, I am continually surprised at how well I can see
      indoors with these sunglasses on.

      So far I have not used the case the Jublo Trails came in. For one, it
      is big and bulky and for two, when not using them I usually leave them
      hung over my rear view car mirror by the strap I put on the
      sunglasses. The only cleaning I have done so far is to rinse them in
      warm water and dry with either my cotton t-shirt or a lens cleaning
      tissue at work which we use to dry off glass sample cells.

      Summary Thus Far
      In all the above I found the Jublo Trails to be very comfortable to
      wear. The hikes lasted anywhere from around 2 hours to around 5 hours
      and the kayaking trips generally lasted about the same lengths of time
      but one lasted almost 6 hours. I did remove the supplied head strap
      because it held the glasses on tighter than I found comfortable. I
      could loosen it up but it is designed as more of a head lamp type
      strap. I went for a few weeks without using any type strap and during
      this time took a few hikes, recumbent rides and kayaking trips. I had
      no trouble with the glasses trying to escape without any type strap.
      Then, I found a nice camo strap that slides over the ends of each ear
      piece and this strap has worked out great. If my knees allowed
      running I might need the other strap for the jarring but honestly, I
      didn't find the glasses trying to fly off my head even when riding my
      recumbent at 42 MPH (68 km/hr) while looking off to the side and never
      when out hiking even though I was jumping from rock to rock on a few
      of the hikes. Here is the strap attached to my sunglasses. As a plus
      it matches my Bama hat.

      jt 9 photo of strap

      For comfort when wearing, clear vision, and fog resistance I give
      these sunglasses an A+. For style they get a B but only because for
      some reason I don't think they match my head very well. In other
      words, if I were in a store trying on glasses I would pick a different
      look. These seem to be too small for my head or something (I can't
      quite put my finger on why) because I have some other sunglasses that
      are very similar to these which I think look better on me.

      This concludes my Field Report. Stay tuned for the Long Term Report
      which should be forthcoming in about two months to see how well the
      Trail sunglasses are continuing to working. I would like to thank
      Julbo and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test these
      sunglasses.