Application - Yaktrax Pro - Nathan Kettner

  • kettnernw
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2008
      Please accept my application to test the Yaktrax Pro. I have read
      Chapter Five of the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide, version 0609,
      and I will follow all requirements.

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Nathan Kettner
      EMAIL: kettnernw "at" yahoo "dot" com
      AGE: 31
      LOCATION: Colorado Springs, Colorado
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 1" (185 cm)
      WEIGHT: 175 lb (79.40 kg)

      Backpacking background applicable to this test:
      I don't do a lot of proper backpacking in the winter, except for a
      hut trip or two, however, I still get out for day trips as often as I
      can. These day trips are most frequently spent in the steep canyons
      of the Colorado Rocky Mountain Front Range. With elevations from
      6,300 - 14,110 ft (1,920 - 4,300 m) there are freezing temperatures
      and significant snowfall as early as September. When the earth tilts
      away from the sun, snowpack that has been tramped into ice stays on
      the trails well into Spring. Without some extra traction, these
      trails become all but impassable.

      Field Information:
      The average temperature during the four month test period will vary
      significantly, from lows near 10 F (-12 C) to highs near 70 F (21
      C). On my day trips I carry a small backpack with water, thermos,
      snacks, GPS, camera, and spare warm clothes.

      Test Plan:
      I will take the Yaktrax on at least three day trips during the test
      period where I will likely encounter slippery, ice-covered trails and
      bridges. I believe the key to a successful test will be finding out
      if the Yaktrax Pros are light and comfortable enough to wear through
      all trail conditions (when I need them and when I don't) or whether
      they will be convenient enough to don/doff each time I encounter an
      icy patch. In the long run, durability will be equally important to
      a successful test. Any piece of equipment spending time between my
      boots and the ground, with loose gravel grinding away, is going to be
      subject to wear and tear. Will they still be as useful at the end of
      the winter season as the first time I wear them?

      All my previously written test reports and owner reviews can be found
      here:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/kettnernw

      Currently Testing Other Items:

      Testing Sitka Gear Traverse Shirt - IR complete.
      Testing Gordini Base Layers - IRs in progress.

      Thank you BGT and Implus Footcare LLC for considering me for this
      test.

      Sincerely
      Nathan Kettner