LTR - Vibram FiveFinger FLOW Shoes - Daignault

  • CLD
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2008
      HTML version: http://tinyurl.com/5np56b

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      I've continued to use the FiveFingers FLOW Shoes here in Central
      Florida; mostly in the Hal Scott Nature Preserve, which is near my
      home. The average temperature this time of year in the area I'm
      testing in is 85 degrees Fahrenheit [29.44 C], and the elevation is
      about 12 feet [3.6 Meters] above sea level. The terrain is mostly
      flat, with sand, gravel, scrub brush, local trees and the occasional
      creek or river to cross. I do day hikes 2 to 3 times a week out there
      and have worn the Flow Shoes during many of those hikes. The weather
      has cooled down considerably and has been 10 to 15 degrees lower than
      the average lately.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      The FLOW shoes continue to peform well for all indoor workouts, which
      include running on the treadmill, using free weights and even a
      stairstepper. I have worn the FLOW shoes on day hikes in areas that
      have water issues -- areas that won't dry out and that have small
      running creeks to cross. The FLOW shoes work great under these
      circumstances and I like that I don't have to worry about where I'm
      going to step.

      They have wonderful traction; especially in wet areas. Walking in sand
      is about the same as when I walk in sand barefoot, except that I don't
      end up with any sand between my toes; the depth of the sand determines
      the amount of work it takes to move about. Dirt and grass feel great
      and are very easy to walk on .

      I still am not able to wear the shoes on any extremely hard surfaces
      for an extended period of time. My feet begin to cramp and the
      smallest toes on both my feet get sore spots along the top of them. I
      also am not comfortable wearing them while walking on gravel or
      smaller rocks; I can feel the rocks and gravel and it is almost
      painful. I still haven't been able to discern whether this is due to
      my feet being ultra-sensitive or if it's because wearing the shoe is
      just so similar to going barefoot.

      SUMMARY

      Overall, I still really like the FLOW shoes for indoor workouts, water
      activities and short day hikes on softer surfaces or wet areas. My
      feet feel stronger in my opinion and I notice that my toes spread out
      more naturally now when I am actually barefoot.

      People I see out on the trail are very curious about the FiveFinger
      FLOWs and have asked where they can purchase them -- or at least try
      them on. I do encourage a try-on prior to purchasing, just to make
      sure the toes will fit properly and that the sizing is correct.
      Putting on and removing the FLOW shoes is still a time-consuming
      process, but it's something I've become accustomed to over the testing
      period.

      CONTINUED USE

      I will continue to use the FLOW shoes as my primary workout shoe,
      unless I'm out running on the road or trail. I'll also use the shoes
      for any water activities or hiking in wet areas. These shoes are fun
      to wear and look at and they continue to be great conversation pieces.

      This concludes my Long Term Report on the Vibram FiveFingers FLOW
      Shoes. Many thanks to Vibram USA, Inc. and BackpackGearTest.Org for
      the opportunity to test this product.

      Thanks!

      -- Chari
      "Not all who wander are lost"