APPLICATION - Redfeather Conquest Snowshoes - Brett Haydin

  • Brett Haydin
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14 6:30 PM
      Please accept my application to test the Redfeather Conquest
      Snowshoes. I have read the BGT By-Laws (v.0609) including Chapters 4
      and 5 and will comply with all of the reporting terms and
      requirements. My signed Tester Agreement is on file. I will have no
      difficulty meeting the minimum expected use requirements and plan to
      use the Conquest Snowshoes more than the required amount of time.

      NAME: Brett Haydin
      EMAIL: bhaydin AT hotmail DOT com
      AGE: 35
      LOCATION: Denver, Colorado, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 195 lb (88.50 kg)

      I started backpacking in Wisconsin as a youth, being involved in the
      Boy Scouts programs. As a young adult, I worked at a summer camp
      leading backpacking, canoeing and mountain biking trips. I now
      generally take short weekend or day trips in rough, mountainous
      terrain, although I have extensive experience in the upper Midwest as
      well. I take one or two longer trips each year, where I typically
      carry heavier loads in excess of 45 lb (20 kg). I prefer to be
      prepared and comfortable, but I have taken lightweight trips as well.

      Why I would like to test the Redfeather Conquest Snowshoes
      Winters are a busy time of the year for me. OK, so the whole year is
      busy, but I especially enjoy winters. If I am not snowboarding at
      the local resorts or in the backcountry, I can usually be found
      braving the cold overnight in some hair-brained attempt to conquer
      some mountaintop. I started snowshoeing more often last winter, and
      while my current pair perform well, I would like to experiment with
      different traction types and styles. Over the testing period, I plan
      to take a number of hikes and backpacking trips in both flat terrain
      as well as steep ascents.

      If I am fortunate to be selected to test the Redfeather Conquest
      snowshoes, I will be testing it in a variety of settings in the
      Colorado Rocky Mountains. Snow is measured in feet (m) not in inches
      (cm) here in the mountains, so weather is not a concern.
      1. In January and February I plan to make a couple of winter
      summits and snowboard descents of some the less technical mountains
      with some local climbers. Dates are still being finalized, but I
      will be snowshoeing in and camping to make the ascent. Elevations
      for camping will be around 10,000 ft (3,050 m) but the hikes will top
      over 14,000 ft (4,267 m). When I do an overnight before riding down
      a mountain, I plan to take this pack along for the summit push and
      ride down.
      2. In March and April, the snows continue to fall, usually in
      heavier numbers than earlier in the winters. I am targeting a trip
      to Brainard Lake area, which offers splendid snowshoeing at about
      10,000 ft (3,050 m). Temperatures will likely range from 23 to 46 F
      (-5 to 8 C).
      3. In April, I plan to backpack up Pikes Peak, elevation 14,110
      ft (4,301 m). The hike from Manitou Springs to the Summit is well
      over 20 mi (32 km) and temperatures should range from 20 to 40 F (-7
      to 4.5 C).
      At least once a month, I tend to take quick, spontaneous trips,
      which could add at least another four days of testing in the
      backcountry. I also arrange hikes for my local community recreation
      center, and there has been a lot of interest in snowshoe hikes this
      coming winter.

      Aside from the usual statistics of general fit, weight, measurements
      and product description, I will comment on the following:
      • How comfortable are the snowshoes? Do the straps hold my
      shoes and boots easily and comfortably?
      • Is there a heel lifter that will make climbing steep terrain
      easier? How easy is it to operate?
      • Can I use my snowboard boots with the snowshoes as well as
      normal winter boots?
      • Are there floats available for use as well? What type of
      weight capacity are the Conquests recommended for?
      • How heavy are the snowshoes? Injection mold snowshoes seem
      to be pretty light when I have inspected them in the past.
      • How easy are the snowshoes to strap to my pack when not
      needed? Are there any convenient points to lash them?
      • How much traction do the snowshoes provide on steeper slopes,
      both going up and coming down?
      • Do my boots slip in the bindings or are they held in place?
      • How easy is it to walk in the snowshoes? Do the heels drag
      behind me
      • Do the straps in the bindings show any signs of wear? Are
      there stress points that show signs of concern?
      • How well do the bindings hold to the frame of the snowshoe?
      How are they held in place?
      • How are the crampons attached to the injection molded frame?
      Do they hold up over time or do they break off after a lot of use?
      • If there is a heel lift, does it also hold up over time?
      • Do the crampons show signs of rust or other concerns that I
      may need to address?
      • Are there any special instructions I need to be aware of?

      It would be an honor to be selected to test the Redfeather Conquest
      snowshoes. I have a variety of uses over diverse terrain and should
      be able to provide a complete report on the uses. I have never been
      late for a report and I am not concerned about my test load, should I
      be considered. I would like to thank BackpackGearTest.org for your
      consideration and Redfeather for their generosity in this test.

      Owner Reviews (3)
      Tests in progress
      Black Diamond Oasis Tent – Field Testing
      Outdoor Research Exped MultiMat – Field Testing
      Red Ledge Allegory Rain Jacket – Field Testing
      Dakine Heli Pro 20 L Pack – Field Testing
      Gordini Stretch 2 in 1 Gloves – Field Testing
      Danner Ascend Boots – Test delayed
      Pending Applications