RE: [backpackgeartesters] Re: Member comment re Brooks-Range Sharktooth Shovel - Andy Henrichs

  • Thomas Vickers
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
      Andy may not know how to get the name engraved.
      Brooks Range offered that option to the testers, but they really don't have
      any details on how to order it that way that I know off

      Tv
      Sharktooth Shovel Monitor
    • a_henrichs
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2008
        Good catch Roger. That's what I get for writing the report after
        working for 13 hours. I'll clarify the engraving a little more as
        well as adjust the size of the pictures.

        Andy
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2008
          Hi Andy, the pics look good on my home puter and I have it set to
          blind...Great clarification on the name deal. But I did notice you
          have the manufacture weight listed as 26 oz when the site has it
          (incorrectly) as 3 lb 1 oz. I checked after noticing it on
          Christophers IR. I am guessing you got the weight off the product
          literature. If so then your OK, if not could you change that to 3 lb
          1 oz. Then we will see if they correct what is on the site. But in
          the end I would like for both (all 3) reports to show the same
          manufactures listed weight.

          Coy Boy

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "a_henrichs"
          <a_henrichs@...> wrote:

          > Good catch Roger. That's what I get for writing the report after
          > working for 13 hours. I'll clarify the engraving a little more as
          > well as adjust the size of the pictures.
          >
          > Andy

        • a_henrichs
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2008
            I actually got the 26 oz from the written description below the table.
            Should I revise my report to mention the incorrect numbers in the
            table? Looking closer at that table, it looks like they give a
            different measurement of the shovel blade (by a fair amount). Is this
            a case when we should contact the manufacturer directly and ask about
            these discrepancies before the report goes up?

            Andy
          • Coy
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 2, 2008
              Andy, you can contact them if you want but not required. Sorry I
              missed the place you saw it...now I see it plain as day. sooo. I
              think yours is fine. You can mention the chart is off but we really
              are not reviewing the site though it is deserting to find conflicting
              info. I will let a Mod decide which weight needs reported though I am
              leaning to the one in the print below the chart which is obviously the
              weight they meant. Of course it is off a tad but not near as much as
              the other in the chart.

            • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
                BTW - On the website it costs an additional $10 for the engraving, IIRC.

                JET

                backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com wrote on 11/01/2008 06:53:17 PM:

                > good catch, I am on a different puter with a 21 inch screen or I
                > probably would have noticed that. But as far as mentioning the name
                > on the shovel, he did say it came like that, in fact, it was part of
                > one of my edits (actually comment). Maybe Andy could clarify it
                > better. Like start that sentence with, The shovel comes with the
                > owners name on it. But he would also need to indicate if this was
                > standard and how they got his name. As in if someone ordered it from
                > backcounty.com (just a guess they might handle it) would the owneres
                > name be ingraved. If I order form them direct other than by phone is
                > it obvious when ordering the name will be included. Ie are there
                > special instructions when ordering to get the name paited on? Extra
                > charge? I just assumed it was one there for avalance rescue purposes
                > in case the owner was caught in one.
                >
                > Coy Boy
                >
                > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Caffin"
                > <r.caffin@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Very interesting bit of gear, but the report format is far wider
                > than my
                > > screen. I had to scroll sideways to read all the text. I think your
                > photos
                > > are far too wide for my screen.
                > >
                > > I was curious to know whether you had painted your name on the
                > shovel or
                > > whether it came from the manufacturer that way. You didn't say. If
                > the
                > > manufacturer did it, what happens when I buy one from a distributor?
                > >
                > > These are NOT official edits from the test monitor.
                > >
                > > Cheers
                > > Roger

              • Coy
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 4, 2008
                  Never heard any official ruling so I am asking all testers to do this.

                  Manufactures weight should be listed as 26 oz. which is what they list
                  it as in the description blurb on the website. If you want to mention
                  the weight listed in the chart (which is obviously wrong) you may do
                  so but keep it brief as we are not reviewing the website. But
                  pointing out something like this is inline with what BGT stands for.
                  Helping the buyer make an educated decision about gear.

                  To avoid questions it would be a good idea to mention the $10 charge
                  for adding your name to the shovel. Other than that, be as individual
                  and creative as you want...

                  If a Mod decides differently then we will adjust and go from there.

                  Thanks
                  Coy Boy

                  --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@...>