IR Red Ledge Allegory - Leesa

  • Leesa J
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1 10:58 AM
      Here is my IR on the Red Ledge Allegory Jacket. Its been a tough week -
      broken camera, bomb threats at work, breaking up fights, etc, etc...

      In the test folder at:

      Anyway - I am redoing the photos - but have uploaded to the test folder and
      will have new photos by the time I upload for good. Any camera

      Red Ledge Allegory Jacket
      Test Series

      Initial Report: October 27, 2008

      Personal Information:
      Leesa Joiner
      Southwestern Maine
      46 yrs
      5'7" (1.7 m)
      150 lb (73 kg)

      My outdoor experiences include trips varying in length from one-day
      hikes to two-week trips. Most involve my three children. While my style
      isn't as 'high adventure' as some, I do enjoy the time we spend outdoors.
      My load used to be HEAVY - think pack mule. Now that the kids carry their
      own gear, plus the two oldest help carry the food, etc, my load is lighter.
      I go for durability over weight when selecting gear.
      While outdoors, I spend time hiking, geocaching, snowshoeing,
      cross-country skiing and camping. I spend almost as much time outdoors
      during the winter as I do during the summer.

      Product Information:
      Product Name: Red Ledge Allegory Jacket
      Manufacturer: Red Ledge
      Website: http://redledge.com
      Year of Manufacture:

      Size Tested: Large
      Advertised Weight: 16.5 oz (468 g) (size medium)
      Measured Weight: 18 oz (510 g) (size large)

      Product Description:
      Size Tested: Women's Large
      Sizes Available: Women's XS - XL (Men's sizes also available)
      Color Tested: Obsidian
      Colors Available: Cool Mint, Grey Vapor, Soft Blue and Delft.

      Coating: T-Core(R) waterproof/breathable
      Seams: 100% taped.
      Shell: Combination of Dupont Tactel nylon and reinforcement rip-stop nylon
      taffeta with DWR (durable water repellent) finish.
      Lining: Breathable polyester mesh and nylon taffeta.

      Features (taken from website)

      � Exterior and interior storm flaps
      � Waterproof pit-zips for ventilation
      � Attached hood with visor, peripheral vision adjustment and roll down
      � Two waterproof zip pockets for secure storage
      � Elasticized cuffs with adjustable Velcro(R) closures
      � Adjustable draw cord at waist and bottom hem
      � Packable into interior pocket

      The Red Ledge Allegory Jacket is constructed of Tactel nylon and reinforced
      with rip-stop nylon taffeta with a DWR (durable water repellent) finish. The
      two fabrics are a slightly different shade of black (obsidian). It has
      taped and/or sealed seams and zippers. It also features a breathable
      polyester mesh and a nylon taffeta lining. The elasticized cuffs have hook
      and loop closures, that allow for adjustment of the cuff's tightness.
      There is a draw cord at both the waist, and bottom hem to keep out wind and
      cold air. The draw cords for the waist are located inside the two front
      pockets. Both sets work well - easy to pull and secure. The two pockets
      provide waterproof storage for carry along necessities.

      The Allegory fits very well, with enough room to wear a couple of layers
      underneath. I will be trying it with different combinations throughout the
      test period. If I were testing in the spring/summer, I may have gone with a
      medium. The sleeves are long enough (which isn't always the case with
      jackets I try on) and the cuffs adjust enough to wear with a bulky shirt, or
      bare wrists. The jacket hits at the top of my thighs, which I really like
      so far. The hood covers my head, coming forward past the fronts of my
      ears. I am curious to see how it affects my peripheral vision when wearing
      it up while hiking.

      There are quite a few zippers on this jacket; the main front zipper, two pit
      zippers, the built in stuff pocket (double sided) zipper and 2 side storage
      pocket zippers.

      An unusual feature is the way the hood rolls down into a collar, and secures
      with a strip of fabric that has hook and loop strips to hold it in place.The
      hood can be stored within a pocket inside the back, top of the jacket.

      The top inner part of the jacket is lined with nylon mesh, and the bottom
      section of lining is nylon taffeta as are the sleeves and inner hood.

      There is also a storage pocket inside the jacket that allows the jacket to
      be folded up and stored. When stored, it measures approximately 9 X 6 X 4
      in (23 X 15 X 10 cm) There is also a small loop of nylon that allows the
      jacket when stored in its sack, to be hooked onto a caribiner (or similar
      device) and attached to a pack, or within a tent.

      The jacket's seams are sealed over the stitches with either seam tape, or
      with sealing glue. Red Ledge appears to have paid attention to details on
      this jacket. Everything is well finished. The zipper pulls are finished
      with pull cords that are securely attached. The front zipper flap has four
      pieces of hook and loop fasteners, to keep wind and rain away from the
      zipper. There is a snap at the bottom of the zipper.

      The jacket is what I expected from the advertising on the web page. I am
      anxious to wear the jacket out in rainy weather. November tends to be rainy
      in Maine, so I'm sure I won't have to wait long. I am also curious to see
      how it does in windy weather - does it block the wind along with rain? I
      had to reread the information about the breathability and waterproofness of
      the jacket. From what I understand, the fibers are porous enough to allow
      warm air to escape, but not allow water to enter. This is one area that I
      will definitely be looking at closely. It would be nice to have some
      breathability, so that perspiration doesn't become a problem. Staying dry
      from inner or outer moisture is always a good thing.

      Our weather is consistently inconsistent, but we can usually count on a wet
      November, along with blustery winds. By December we are seeing snow, and
      usually the wet, heavy variety. In January and February, as the
      temperatures drop, the snow tends to increase, but become much drier and
      more powdery. I snowshoe quite a bit in the winter and plan on wearing
      this jacket as an outer layer to see how well it sheds snow and moisture.
      I usually stay fairly warm while snowshoeing, but getting wet and then
      stopping for a break causes me too cool off too much.

      I am looking forward to testing the Red Ledge Allegory Jacket. Thanks to
      Red Ledge and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity. Check back in about
      2 months for my field report.