LTR - CiloGear 40B Alpine Day Pack - Allnutt

  • Rick Allnutt
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2008
      Oops... Here is the report:

      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/Allnutt%20-%20CiloGear%20pack%20LTR/>

      LONG TERM REPORT

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      September 17-19, 2008 – Three day, two night hike in the Gila
      Wilderness, New Mexico. The altitudes ranged from 6000 to 7400 ft (1800
      - 2300 m). Temperatures were from 45 to 75 F (7 to 24 C). The weather
      included sun and rain. Total distance backpacking was about 25 mi (40 km).

      Over the full test period I used the pack for backpacking on five
      overnights and as a day pack for about 10 additional days. Non
      backpacking use has been as my overnight bag on about 5 airplane or car
      trips.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD
      The CiloGear 40B pack has been just the right size for all my travels.
      For the trip to the Gila Wilderness, I used the reinforced backplane,
      not knowing how much water I was going to have to carry. It turned out
      that I never had to walk more than 10 mi (16 km) without a water supply,
      so using the reinforced suspension was a bit of overkill. However, the
      pack was very comfortable with two liters of water and a pack full
      camping equipment. I probably overpacked a little for this trip, as I
      did not know the countryside and did not know what to expect. Carrying a
      little extra weight (pack was 22 lb (10 kg) with water) was all the
      easier with the hip belt and reinforced backplane.

      I continue to enjoy the ability to snug up the pack into a day pack
      sized pack with the side adjustments. Doing so gives me a pack that
      rides very close to my center of gravity and which is excellent for
      bushwacking. The cloth of the pack is very sturdy and has not been
      damaged by Texas cedar branches as I have frequently gone cross country
      in rough country.

      I only used the pack with the reinforcement on a plane one time. The
      large aluminum stay made it through the security that time, but I did
      have the pack taken apart one time to make sure it was OK. On the other
      trips, I left the backplane and aluminum stay at home. Nothing was ever
      taken apart in this configuration.

      I remain very impressed with the wide ranging adjustments that can be
      made with the pack. For the trip to the Gila, I used the topper and it
      worked out very well, staying balanced on the top of the pack. As I have
      said before, this is the equivalent of a dozen different packs in my
      closet, all depending on what options I strap on and use.

      SUMMARY

      Things I really liked:
      This pack is the most adaptable pack I have ever used.

      The materials are robust and well put together.

      What I missed:

      Despite the strap on water bottle sack, I really missed a pair of
      elastic topped pockets on each side to slide a water bottle into.

      Rick Allnutt wrote:

      > This has been a fun test. The LTR text and the html version in the test
      > folder follow.
      >
      > Rick

    • Coy
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2008
        shotrest report and easiest edit to date...LOL

        Coy Boy

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Rick Allnutt <rick@...>
        wrote:

        > This has been a fun test. The LTR text and the html version in the
        test
        > folder follow.
        >
        > Rick

      • Coy
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2008
          Hi Rick, no edits from me but would you look at the font size in the
          last 2 sentences before the summary. It is a different size in the
          first sentence then changes back to normal size midways in the next.

          Other than that, upload at will, As usual, I enjoyed reading this
          series of reports and working with you!

          Coy Boy
          PS the pack does sound sweet but I would also miss the water bottle
          pockets.

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2008
            Coy,
            Thanks for the edit. I think I found the error in my code that had
            changed the font size. I repaired it so that the size does not change.

            See you round the trail!