IR - Brooks-Range Sharktooth Shovel - Andy Henrichs

  • a_henrichs
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2008
      Here's my IR for your editing pleasure. The html version can be found
      at: http://tinyurl.com/6z5pw7 <http://tinyurl.com/6z5pw7> . Thanks for
      the edits!

      Andy

      HTML clipboard
      Brooks-Range Mountaineering Equipment Sharktooth Mini Pro Shovel

      Test Series by Andy Henrichs

      October 31, 2008

      Initial Report - 10-31-08 <#Initial%20Report>

      Biographical Information

      Name: Andy Henrichs
      Age: 27
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 2" (1.88 m)
      Weight: 185 lb (83.9 kg)

      Email address: a_henrichs@...
      City, State, Country: Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA

      Backpacking Background

      Most of my backpacking has been in the mountains of Colorado and the
      deserts in the southwestern US. I've gone winter camping several
      times, but I still prefer backpacking in the warmer months. Most of my
      trips are 2-3 days, but I have taken several trips of 5-6 days. In the
      summer of 2004, I was fortunate enough to have thru-hiked the 476 mile
      Colorado Trail over 35 days. Recently, I have been leaning towards the
      lightweight side of the spectrum.

      Initial Report

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Brooks-Range Mountaineering Equipment
      (www.brooks-range.com <http://www.brooks-range.com/> )

      Year of Manufacture: 2008

      Manufacturers Stated Weight: 26 oz (737 g)

      Testers Measured Weight: 30 oz (850 g)

      Colors Available: Chaos Red, Chaos Blue, Chaos Pink, Chaos Smoke,
      Annodized Blue

      MSRP: $50 US

      [Shovel parts disassembled]
      Shovel parts disassembled

      Product Description

      The Brooks-Range Mountaineering Equipment Sharktooth Mini Pro Shovel is
      designed for demanding backcountry use in winter environments. It is
      composed of four distinct components: a blade, two shaft sections
      (which double as stretcher bars for a backcountry rescue sled) and a
      handle. The blade measures 9 in by 10 in (23 cm by 25 cm) and features
      a serrated leading edge. According to the manufacturer, this edge
      makes "short work of the toughest stubborn ice and hard pack. Only
      available on Brooks-Range shovels." I have to admit, it is quite
      sharp. Painted on the surface of the blade is a 5-step quick reference
      guide to avalanche beacon search patterns and companion rescue. It's a
      feature I haven't seen on shovels before. Ideally, all backcountry
      travelers should be well-versed in avalanche rescue skills, but having a
      handy cheat sheet provides an extra margin of security. The blade also
      features four holes so it can be used as an emergency deadman anchor.
      It also has two 1.25 in by .5 in (3 x 1 cm) oval holes. I can't figure
      out what these are intended to be, as they don't seem to appear on the
      shovels pictured on the website. I'm thinking they may be intended to
      reduce weight of the shovel, as they shouldn't affect the structural
      integrity at all. Where the blade connects to the shaft, my name was
      "engraved" on the shovel. Basically, it's painted on in white paint.
      The blade section connects to the lower shaft section with two detent
      buttons. The upper shaft section connects to the middle shaft section
      with one detent button. The upper section can be locked into a packed
      or extended position. The plastic, D-shaped handle connects to the
      upper shaft section with one detent button. In its packed position,
      the shovel (from serrated edge to handle) measures 35 in (89 cm). In
      its extended position, the shovel measures 44 in (112 cm). As I
      mentioned earlier, the two shaft sections can be used as stretcher bars
      for an emergency backcountry sled. The lower shaft section (and front
      stretcher bar) is 18.25 in (46 cm) in length and has two oval cutouts
      on each side of the bar. The cutouts on one side are 4.5 in by .6 in
      (11 cm by 1.5 cm). The cutouts on the opposite side are 2.5 in by .6
      in (6 cm by 1.5 cm). The upper shaft section (and back stretcher bar)
      is 17 in (43 cm) long. It has two oval cutouts on one side of the bar.
      Both of these cutouts measure 4.5 in by .6 in (11 cm by 1.5 cm).

      [Shovel extended]
      Shovel in extended position

      [shovel packed]
      Shovel in packed position

      [shovel blade detail]
      [engraving detail] Close-up of
      avalanche beacon search quick reference guide
      Close-up of engraving

      [stretcher bar detail]
      [available color samples]
      Pictures of stretch bar slots in shaft sections
      Available colors (clockwise from top left): Annodized Red, Chaos Smoke,
      Annodized Blue, Chaos Pink, Chaos Blue, (Chaos Red shown in other
      pictures)

      Initial Impressions

      Maybe I'm being a little melodramatic, but I think this is a beautiful
      shovel. Not only does it appear to be crafted quite well, the Chaos
      Red color is a wonderful change from the boring color patterns that are
      common on most pieces of gear like this. The shovel components all
      lock together quite solidly. I've found that the handle seems to be
      the most difficult part to attach. The detent buttons don't pop into
      place as easily as they do on the metal sections. It only takes me an
      extra second or two to lock it in, but I plan on leaving the handle
      attached while stored in my pack, as every second counts in an
      avalanche situation. The stretcher slots in the shaft sections can
      make it interesting when changing the shovel from the packed position
      to the extended position. In order to avoid the button popping out in
      the slots, one has to twist the shaft sections until the detent button
      is past the slots, they twist it back in line with the locking hole.
      It's actually pretty easy to do, but again, every second counts.

      I really like the quick reference guide on the shovel blade. While I
      feel comfortable in my avalanche rescue skills, it's nice to know that,
      should I panic in an emergency, I have instructions to help me regain
      my bearings. I am a little concerned that the paint of the quick
      reference guide and my name will scratch off. I've already found a few
      spots where paint is starting to wear. I'm interested to see what it
      will look like after four months of use. I'm also interested to see
      what the serrated edge does to the inside of my pack. My winter pack
      has a separate compartment for a shovel and probe, and I always store
      my avalanche safety gear inside my pack. It will be interesting to see
      if the serrated edge damages the inner material. I typically remove
      the blade from the shaft when packing my shovel. This shovel shaft
      extends a little further than my old shovel, even when in its packed
      position. The pocket still closes, but pushes on the pack lid a bit.
      I'll have to pay attention to how the shaft works when my pack has more
      equipment in it.

      This concludes my Initial Report. I will amend this report with my
      Field Report in approximately two months.

      Thank you to Brooks-Range Mountaineering Equipment and
      BackpackGearTest.org for giving me the opportunity to test this shirt.

    • Thomas Vickers
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 31, 2008
        Thank you to everyone who applied.
        Congratulations to the three lucky testers.
        Could

        Andrew Henrichs
        Mike Wilkie
        James E. Triplett

        Please provide me with the following info off list? (redroach@...)

        Name
        Address
        Phone #
        Email

        Requested size:
        Non-guaranteed color choice:

        Thank you,

        Tvickers
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2008
          Hi Andy, nice report, great product photos! Just a couple of edits
          for you to look at. No Word on the puter I am using today but I can
          speell with the best....

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "a_henrichs"
          <a_henrichs@...> wrote:

          > Here's my IR for your editing pleasure. The html version can be
          found
          > at: http://tinyurl.com/6z5pw7 <http://tinyurl.com/6z5pw7> .
          Thanks for
          > the edits!
          >
          > Andy

          > Colors Available: Chaos Red, Chaos Blue, Chaos Pink, Chaos Smoke,
          > Annodized Blue

          Edit: Annodized should be anodized.

          Where the blade connects to the shaft, my name was
          > "engraved" on the shovel. Basically, it's painted on in white
          paint.

          Comment: no big deal but unless the manufacture says engraved I would
          choose a different word. But that is a cool feature...and I am less
          likely to come steal your shovel...but watch your ultralight canoe....
          (For Jim and Steve if reading...)

          > Available colors (clockwise from top left): Annodized Red, Chaos
          Smoke,
          > Annodized Blue, Chaos Pink, Chaos Blue, (Chaos Red shown in
          other
          > pictures)

          Edit: make that Anodized in both places.

          > Thank you to Brooks-Range Mountaineering Equipment and
          > BackpackGearTest.org for giving me the opportunity to test this
          shirt.

          Edit: change irt to ovel...not much of a change but makes a big
          difference....btw I am refuring to shirt in case you missed my edit.

          That's all I see, you know the drill from here.

          Coy Boy
        • a_henrichs
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2008
            Hey Coy,

            Thanks for the edits. I'm not sure what to do about the "annodized"
            part. I've always seen it spelled with 1 "n", but the manufacturer's
            website has it spelled with 2. Any thoughts?

            Andy

            > Hi Andy, nice report, great product photos! Just a couple of edits
            > for you to look at. No Word on the puter I am using today but I can
            > speell with the best....

            > > Colors Available: Chaos Red, Chaos Blue, Chaos Pink, Chaos Smoke,
            > > Annodized Blue
            >
            > Edit: Annodized should be anodized.
            >
            > Where the blade connects to the shaft, my name was
            > > "engraved" on the shovel. Basically, it's painted on in white
            > paint.
          • Coy
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 1, 2008
              I sometimes copy the list of colors available without atributing it
              as a quote just to save typing so in this case I would just correct
              the spelling. no need for identifying the colors availabe as a quote
              so no need for the [sic] either. or leave as is. in which case you
              might use the [sic], I'd just correct the spelling and forget it...

              or it could be some of that crazy Auzie spelling I see from time to
              time but they use colors instead of colours...unless you typed Colors
              Available and even the rest but used thier spelling of Anodized.
              Maybe Roger or Andrew (either one) will chime in.

              Coy Boy

              <a_henrichs@...> wrote:

              > Hey Coy,
              >
              > Thanks for the edits. I'm not sure what to do about the "annodized"
              > part. I've always seen it spelled with 1 "n", but the
              manufacturer's
              > website has it spelled with 2. Any thoughts?
              >
              > Andy
              >
              > > Hi Andy, nice report, great product photos! Just a couple of
              edits
              > > for you to look at. No Word on the puter I am using today but I
              can
              > > speell with the best....
              >
              > > > Colors Available: Chaos Red, Chaos Blue, Chaos Pink, Chaos
              Smoke,
              > > > Annodized Blue
              > >
              > > Edit: Annodized should be anodized.
              > >
              > > Where the blade connects to the shaft, my name was
              > > > "engraved" on the shovel. Basically, it's painted on in white
              > > paint.

            • Coy
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 1, 2008

                <a_henrichs@...> wrote:

                > Hey Coy,
                >
                > Thanks for the edits. I'm not sure what to do about the "annodized"
                > part. I've always seen it spelled with 1 "n", but the
                manufacturer's
                > website has it spelled with 2. Any thoughts?
                >
                > Andy
                >
                > > Hi Andy, nice report, great product photos! Just a couple of
                edits
                > > for you to look at. No Word on the puter I am using today but I
                can
                > > speell with the best....
                >
                > > > Colors Available: Chaos Red, Chaos Blue, Chaos Pink, Chaos
                Smoke,
                > > > Annodized Blue
                > >
                > > Edit: Annodized should be anodized.
                > >
                > > Where the blade connects to the shaft, my name was
                > > > "engraved" on the shovel. Basically, it's painted on in white
                > > paint.

              • Roger Caffin
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 2, 2008
                  > Thanks for the edits. I'm not sure what to do about the "annodized"
                  > part. I've always seen it spelled with 1 "n", but the manufacturer's
                  > website has it spelled with 2. Any thoughts?
                  Anodised or anodized, with ONE n.

                  Beware of copying manufacturer's web sites too closely!

                  Cheers