IR-Primus Lunch Jug-Suzi Gibson

  • suzi_q_jones
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 30, 2008
      Below are the links as well as the text for my IR on the Primus Lunch Jug.
      Thanks for taking the time to edit this:)
      Suzi

      Tiny URL:
      http://tinyurl.com/5tnzlt

      IR-Primus Lunch Jug
      Test Series by Suzi Gibson
      Initial Report - 30 October 2008

      Tester Information:
      Name: Suzi Gibson
      Age: 30
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'6" (1.7 m)
      Weight: 155 lb (70.3 kg)
      Email address: suzi_q_jones at yahoo dot com

      City, State, Country: Anderson, South Carolina, USA

      Backpacking Background: I've gone on many family camping trips to
      various places along the east coast of the US since I was a child. The
      backpacking bug was always there, whispering in my ear until finally
      in my early twenties it bit me! I've since done several backpacking
      trips in Florida, Washington, Virginia, and North Carolina. I
      typically backpack with around 30 lb (13.6 kg) of essential gear
      (sleeping bag and mat, tent, stove, and clothes), food and water and
      usually go for 2 to 3 days. My current tent and bag comprise almost
      half of the pack weight.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Primus
      Year of Manufacture: 2007
      Sizes Available: 11.8 oz (0.35 l) and 16.9 oz (0.5 l)
      Size Tested: 16.9 oz (0.5 l)
      Listed weight: 12.5 oz (355 g)
      Weight as Delivered: 13.0 oz (368.5 g)
      Listed Dimensions: 3.3 in (85 mm) x 6.5 in (165mm)
      Actual Dimensions: 3.3 in (85 mm) x 6.5 in (165mm)
      Listed Volume Held: 16.9 oz (0.5 l)
      Actual Volume Held: 17.0 oz (0.5 l)
      MSRP: $15.00

      Product Description & Initial Impressions:

      I received the 16.9 oz (0.5 l) Primus Lunch Jug (hereafter, lunch jug)
      for this test series. The lunch jug is a vacuum-sealed thermos with
      18/8 stainless steel double walls. The outside wall has a black powder
      coat finish, which is supposed to provide a little extra grip. The
      inside wall is not painted. The lunch jug's mouth is indeed wide at
      2.75 in (70.0 mm). The inner dimensions are capable of storing an
      unopened 10.5 oz (298 g) can of condensed soup just in case I plan on
      heating up some soup on the trail. There is a plastic seat on the base
      as well as at the base of the neck. In addition, the cap and threads
      are also plastic. The threads themselves are wide which should prevent
      mis-threading. The o-ring is fairly thick and appears to be made of
      silicone. It is also seated snug in the cap.

      Care and Cleaning:

      There were no care or cleaning instructions given nor was there any
      indication if the lunch jug is dishwasher safe. Therefore, during the
      test series I will hand wash the lunch just after use instead of
      letting the dishwasher do the work for me. This really shouldn't be
      too bad since there are only three parts to the jug: the base, the top
      and the o-ring and it does have a wide mouth.

      Test Plan:

      Primus supplied a time series graph on the lunch jug's box detailing
      their findings for content's temperature retention. They also state
      "Liquid filled at 95 C (203 F) is still warm (60 C/ 140 F) after
      approx. 5 hours". I will conduct my own simple home testing to
      quantify how long the contents stay warm. These findings will also
      give me a better idea of how long I can expect contents to stay warm
      on the trail. This is important to me since the hikes that I really
      like to do are 1 - 2 hours away. I want to be confident that the
      contents will stay hot during the drive as well as on the trail.

      Of course there will also be lots of trail time in the Carolinas,
      Maryland and Florida! Over the course of field testing, I will try to
      answer the following questions:

      • What is the full weight for a can of soup, a full container of tea,
      or hot cocoa?
      • How easy (or perhaps not) is it to fill with hot liquids, dried
      foods or anything else I'd like to pack into it for the hike?
      • Will the contents be easy to remove or will I have to learn any
      `tricks' to be able to eat or drink from the jug without creating a mess?
      • Does the lid form a tight seal throughout testing?
      • How long do the contents stay warm?
      • Is any heat transferred to the jug's exterior? If so, does it make
      it `too hot' to hold or no effect at all? What is the impact on the
      heat retention of the hot liquids inside the jug if heat is being
      transferred to the exterior wall?
      • How well does it pack into the packs I'll be using for the outings?
      • How well does the entire unit handle in my clumsy fingers; can it
      withstand being dropped on many occasions?
      • Does the jug `wear evenly' or do certain components wear quicker
      than others?
      • Does the cap or cap components come loose during the hike, or does
      it maintain the seal?
      • Is beverage taste affected by the container, as is the case on some
      beverage containers?

      My initial impression is that the lunch jug looks rugged, ready for
      some trail fun. The plastic lid is a bit of a concern for me as I am
      wondering how much impact stress it can take from my butter fingers.
      However, the subtle grip from the powder coating should help me keep
      the lunch jug in my hands on not on the trail. I'm impressed with the
      wide mouth and I think it'll be fairly easy to pour liquids (including
      chunky soups) into the lunch jug as well as eat and drink from it.
      Cleaning on the trail or at home should also be easy given the wide
      mouth. Given that there is plastic on the jug and that the plastic
      serves a vital role in sealing the lid, I do not think it wise to
      attempt to cook or heat liquids in the lunch jug while on the trail.
      The lunch jug's compact size should allow it to pack easily into my
      child carrier or lumbar pack for a days outing.

      Likes:
      • Wide mouth
      • Compact size
      • Powder coat grip on the exterior of the jug

      Dislikes/Concerns:
      • Plastic lid is a pre-testing concern

      This concludes my Initial Report for the Primus Lunch Jug. The field
      report will be appended to this report in approximately two months
      (January 2009). Please check back then for more information. Thanks
      again to Primus and BackPackGearTest.org for granting me the
      opportunity to test the Primus Lunch Jug.
    • pamwyant
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 5, 2008
        Sorry Suzi,

        I missed this one:

        Listed Dimensions: 3.3 in (85 mm) x 6.5 in (165mm)

        ### EDIT: Looks like the manufacter lists 6.7 in for your size jug.

        I am also going to check with the moderator to see which website should
        be linked, as you have the US one and Kathryn has the International
        one. I suspect it should be the international one, in which case your
        website link will also need to be changed.

        Pam
      • suzi_q_jones
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 10, 2008
          Ok, I've got a question..... The Primus website lists the dimensions
          for the lunch jug at 3.3 in (85 mm) x 6.7 in (175 mm). However, the
          dimensions as printed on the box are 3.3 in (85 mm) x 6.5 in (165 mm)
          which is also what I measured it at. So, which one of the Primus
          dimensions do I use?
          Thanks!
          Suzi

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "pamwyant" <pamwyant@...>
          wrote:

          > Sorry Suzi,
          >
          > I missed this one:
          >
          > Listed Dimensions: 3.3 in (85 mm) x 6.5 in (165mm)
          >
          > ### EDIT: Looks like the manufacter lists 6.7 in for your size jug.
          >
          > I am also going to check with the moderator to see which website should
          > be linked, as you have the US one and Kathryn has the International
          > one. I suspect it should be the international one, in which case your
          > website link will also need to be changed.
          >
          > Pam

        • Dark Lazarus
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 10, 2008
            Nice catch, I didn't notice that. I think we go with the hang tag as
            that is what comes with the product, but to mention such discrepancies
            in the report. I will also wait to see what the powers that be
            decree.

            kathryn

            On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 7:48 PM, suzi_q_jones <suzi_q_jones@...> wrote:
            > Ok, I've got a question..... The Primus website lists the dimensions
            > for the lunch jug at 3.3 in (85 mm) x 6.7 in (175 mm). However, the
            > dimensions as printed on the box are 3.3 in (85 mm) x 6.5 in (165 mm)
            > which is also what I measured it at. So, which one of the Primus
            > dimensions do I use?
            > Thanks!
            > Suzi
            >
            > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "pamwyant" <pamwyant@...>
            > wrote:
            >>
            >> Sorry Suzi,
            >>
            >> I missed this one:
            >>
            >> Listed Dimensions: 3.3 in (85 mm) x 6.5 in (165mm)
            >>
            >> ### EDIT: Looks like the manufacter lists 6.7 in for your size jug.
            >>
            >> I am also going to check with the moderator to see which website should
            >> be linked, as you have the US one and Kathryn has the International
            >> one. I suspect it should be the international one, in which case your
            >> website link will also need to be changed.
            >>
            >> Pam

          • Jason Boyle
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 10, 2008
              Suzi,

              I would make a table or whatever format you choose, and mention all
              three. It is important to note discrepancies, maybe they need to
              correct their website. Good catch!

              Jason B

              --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Dark Lazarus"
              <darklazarus@...> wrote:

              > Nice catch, I didn't notice that. I think we go with the hang tag
              as
              > that is what comes with the product, but to mention such
              discrepancies
              > in the report. I will also wait to see what the powers that be
              > decree.
              >
              > kathryn
              >
              > On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 7:48 PM, suzi_q_jones <suzi_q_jones@...>
              wrote:
              > > Ok, I've got a question..... The Primus website lists the
              dimensions
              > > for the lunch jug at 3.3 in (85 mm) x 6.7 in (175 mm). However,
              the
              > > dimensions as printed on the box are 3.3 in (85 mm) x 6.5 in (165
              mm)
              > > which is also what I measured it at. So, which one of the Primus
              > > dimensions do I use?
              > > Thanks!
              > > Suzi
              > >
              > > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "pamwyant" <pamwyant@>
              > > wrote:
              > >>
              > >> Sorry Suzi,
              > >>
              > >> I missed this one:
              > >>
              > >> Listed Dimensions: 3.3 in (85 mm) x 6.5 in (165mm)
              > >>
              > >> ### EDIT: Looks like the manufacter lists 6.7 in for your size
              jug.

              > >> I am also going to check with the moderator to see which website
              should
              > >> be linked, as you have the US one and Kathryn has the
              International
              > >> one. I suspect it should be the international one, in which
              case your
              > >> website link will also need to be changed.
              > >>
              > >> Pam

            • Jason Boyle
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 10, 2008