POST: IR - Sierra Designs Cyclone Eco Jacket - Chuck Carnes

  • Chuck Carnes
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2008
      Initial Report - Sierra Designs Cyclone Eco Jacket - Chuck Carnes

      HTML Version:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20SD%20Cyclone%20Jacket%20-%20Chuck%20Carnes/

      Text Version:

      Sierra Designs
      Cyclone Eco Jacket
      Initial Report: September 29, 2008

      BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION
      Name: Chuck Carnes
      Age: 38
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6 ft. 0 in (1.83 m)
      Weight: 180 lb (79 kg)
      E-mail address: ctcarnes1(at)yahoo(dot)com
      City, State, Country: Greenville, South Carolina USA

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND
      I love the outdoors – I’ve spent time camping in the outdoors since I was born, and have been actively hiking and backpacking since then. I consider myself a lightweight hiker, usually carrying 20 – 30 pounds (11-13 kg) for hikes up to a week in length. I hike at an easy pace, averaging 2 mph (3 kph). I am a one-man tent camper for now. I like to carry a single trekking pole when I hike to help relieve stress to my legs and knees. I like to get out on the trail as often as I can.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION
      Manufacturer: Sierra Designs
      Model: Cyclone Eco (Green Effect)
      Year of manufacture: 2008
      Listed Weight: Not Listed
      Actual Weight: 13 oz (369 g)
      Size: Large
      Color: Gris
      MSRP: $149.95 USD

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Sierra Designs Cyclone Eco Jacket is a hardshell jacket that is made with Drizone 2.5 Waterproof/Breathable material. From the web site on this material:

      "This 2.5 Layer, Drizone™ Green fabric is comprised of solvent-free laminate, textured double ripstop nylon face with a dry touch back. Fiber Content: Recycled Polyester/Textured Double Ripstop Weight: 3.01 oz/yd² (86 g/m²). All garments made from Drizone™ Green 2.5L fabric also feature PVC-free seam tape. 5,000 mm waterproofness, 8,000 g/m²/24 hrs breathability."
      The PVC-free seam taping makes this Jacket wind up in the 'green' catagory which is part of their 'Green Effect Program'. The jacket has pit zips with 2-way zippers for regulating the internal temperature of the jacket. This jacket also has many different pockets for orginization and has a fast pack hood so it can be stuffed in its own, attached pocket inside the hood.

      Other Features
      YKK Aquaguard zippered chest pockets
      Single-hand adjustment hem
      Large internal pocket
      ECO-Fully taped PVC-free seams
      Conversion Chart
      Adjustable Velcro cuffs with custom tab
      2 zippered hand pockets

      I N I T I A L R E P O R T
      September 29, 2008

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS
      The Sierra Designs Cyclone Eco Jacket showed up in a box with the jacket in a clear plastic bag. The jacket felt a little heavy at first but after inspecting it and feeling the material I realized that this was quality material and it felt like it would really hold up to the elements. I tried it on and it fit just fine. The sleeves are at a good length and the bottom hem is several inches (centimeters) below my waist line. The jacket feels very roomy inside and does not feel constricting at all. I have plenty of room to wrap my arms around myself and not feel the back material stretch or pull. When squatting down the rear hem of the jacket remains over the top hem of pants, this is very nice when water is shedding off of the back of the jacket and it doesn't go down into the pants.

      The hood is very roomy and is well seam taped as seen in the picture above. The hood felt really good on my head. The hood has a semi-stiff visor that extends well beyond the front off my face which makes my face feel very protected. The back of the hood has a small cord that can be pulled that pulls the side of the front opening, back, so that the user has peripheral vision while the hood is on. The pulled cord is held in place by a small, sliding, rubber mechanism. At the base of the hood opening, there are two pull cords, one on each side of the neck line, to be pulled to cinch the opening of the hood around the face. The cinched cord is held tight by small, sliding, rubber mechanisms that can be operated by one hand.

      The zippers on the outside pockets are protected by a storm flap and are provided with zipper pulls for easy access. The chest pocket is mesh pocket that is held closed by a waterproof zipper, no storm flap. The full length pit zips are protected by a storm flap and can zip either way. The inner mesh pocket has a conversion chart sewn to the outside mesh material as seen in the picture above. The conversion chart converts temperature, length, distance, weight, and volume. This would come in very handy if the user is doing some world traveling and needed conversions fairly quickly. It could also have many other uses.

      I am actually looking forward to getting out in the rain with the Sierra Designs Cyclone Eco jacket. The material and construction seem like very good quality. The feel of the material when wearing the jacket seem very breathable but still has the waterproof feel.

      This concludes my Initial Report
      Check back in December for the Field Report
      Thank you Sierra Designs and BackpackGearTest.org for this opportunit
    • Hollis
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2008
        Chuck and moderators,

        I've got a question that, depending on the answer, becomes a concern.

        Chuck, from your IR, I think I understand that there's a pocket
        stitched to the inside of your jacket's hood that holds the hood in a
        packed configuration. Am I reading your report and seeing your
        pictures correctly?

        The jacket I was sent has no such pocket. There's nothing to explain
        why the hood on mine is called a "Fast Pack Hood", since there's no
        way to pack it.

        My concern is that it appears we're not testing the same gear.

        Hollis
      • Chuck Carnes
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2008
          Yes..you are seeing it correctly. Mine has a mesh pocket as to be able to, I guess, stuff it inside itself. I haven't tried it yet though. Maybe check the web site to see which one you have. WE WILL need to be testing the same one.

          Chuck

          > I've got a question that, depending on the answer,
          > becomes a concern.
          >
          > Chuck, from your IR, I think I understand that there's
          > a pocket
          > stitched to the inside of your jacket's hood that holds
          > the hood in a
          > packed configuration. Am I reading your report and seeing
          > your
          > pictures correctly?
          >
          > The jacket I was sent has no such pocket. There's
          > nothing to explain
          > why the hood on mine is called a "Fast Pack
          > Hood", since there's no
          > way to pack it.
          >
          > My concern is that it appears we're not testing the
          > same gear.
          >
          > Hollis
        • Hollis
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2008
            Guess I'm shipping BOTH pieces back to Sierra Designs, then?

            Mine is clearly a Cyclone jacket: the large central logo thing at the
            center back (yours has it too) says "Cyclone X-Large Made In
            Indonesia". It does not say Cyclone _Eco_; does yours?

            Sierra Designs doesn't list any other Cyclone gear on its site, and a
            quick Google search shows that all previous entries in the Cyclone
            line have had stowable hoods, which certainly implies a place to stow
            them.

            I have not yet heard back from Sierra Designs about my issues with the
            pants, and would appreciate moderator guidance on how to proceed. Do
            you want me to write an IR about the jacket as-is, along with the pants?

            Hollis

            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Carnes

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2008
              Man that is really weird...they must have gotten your and Ray's jacket out of the closet or something. Curt is the master in charge of this one so maybe wait and see what he says. I'll check mine when I get home tonight to see if it says anything about "Eco" on mine. I am very curious now.

              Chuck

              > Guess I'm shipping BOTH pieces back to Sierra Designs,
              > then?
              >
              > Mine is clearly a Cyclone jacket: the large central logo
              > thing at the
              > center back (yours has it too) says "Cyclone X-Large
              > Made In
              > Indonesia". It does not say Cyclone _Eco_; does yours?
              >
              > Sierra Designs doesn't list any other Cyclone gear on
              > its site, and a
              > quick Google search shows that all previous entries in the
              > Cyclone
              > line have had stowable hoods, which certainly implies a
              > place to stow
              > them.
              >
              > I have not yet heard back from Sierra Designs about my
              > issues with the
              > pants, and would appreciate moderator guidance on how to
              > proceed. Do
              > you want me to write an IR about the jacket as-is, along
              > with the pants?
              >
              > Hollis
              >
              > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Carnes
              > <ctcarnes1@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Yes..you are seeing it correctly. Mine has a mesh
              > pocket as to be
              > able to, I guess, stuff it inside itself. I haven't
              > tried it yet
              > though. Maybe check the web site to see which one you have.
              > WE WILL
              > need to be testing the same one.
            • rayestrella1
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2008
                <ctcarnes1@...> wrote:

                > Man that is really weird...they must have gotten your and Ray's
                jacket out of the closet

                I still have not seen one.

                Hollis, look for a flap that the rolled hood can slip into/under making
                it kind of a stuffed collar. That is what they do on a lot of them.

                If mine shows up I will let you both know what I got.

                Ray
              • Chuck Carnes
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 1, 2008
                  I would think though that it would be like mine if it is "supposedly" the same jacket. But yeah if his rolls up at the collar then it would obviously be a different model. I'm just curious to see if mine says 'Eco' and then I think that would tell us the missing link...maybe.

                  Chuck