POST: IR - Sierra Designs Cyclone Eco Pant - Chuck Carnes

  • Chuck Carnes
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2008
      Initial Report - Sierra Designs Cyclone Eco Pant - Chuck Carnes

      HTML Version:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR-SDCyclonePant-CC/

      Test Version:

      Sierra Designs
      Cyclone Eco Pant
      Initial Report: September 29, 2008

      BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION
      Name: Chuck Carnes
      Age: 38
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6 ft. 0 in (1.83 m)
      Weight: 180 lb (79 kg)
      Waist: 34
      E-mail address: ctcarnes1(at)yahoo(dot)com
      City, State, Country: Greenville, South Carolina USA

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND
      I love the outdoors – I’ve spent time camping in the outdoors since I was born, and have been actively hiking and backpacking since then. I consider myself a lightweight hiker, usually carrying 20 – 30 pounds (11-13 kg) for hikes up to a week in length. I hike at an easy pace, averaging 2 mph (3 kph). I am a one-man tent camper for now. I like to carry a single trekking pole when I hike to help relieve stress to my legs and knees. I like to get out on the trail as often as I can.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION
      Manufacturer: Sierra Designs
      Model: Cyclone Eco (Green Effect)
      Year of manufacture: 2008
      Listed Weight: Not Listed
      Actual Weight: 9 oz (255 g)
      Size: Large
      Color: Black
      MSRP: $99.95 USD

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Sierra Designs Cyclone Eco Pant is a hardshell pant that is made with Drizone 2.5 Waterproof/Breathable material. From the web site on this material:

      "This 2.5 Layer, Drizone™ Green fabric is comprised of solvent-free laminate, textured double ripstop nylon face with a dry touch back. Fiber Content: Recycled Polyester/Textured Double Ripstop Weight: 3.01 oz/yd² (86 g/m²). All garments made from Drizone™ Green 2.5L fabric also feature PVC-free seam tape. 5,000 mm waterproofness, 8,000 g/m²/24 hrs breathability."
      The PVC-free seam taping makes this pant wind up in the 'green' catagory which is part of their 'Green Effect Program'. The pant has full side zips for easy on and off and hook and loop fasteners at the top for extra tightning of the waist and extra protection over the zipper. The full zip is covered full length with a storm flap that is held tight with strips of hook and loop fasteners the entire length of the leg. The waist is a draw string closure for the front with elastic band in the back.

      Other Features
      YKK Aquaguard zip thigh pocket
      PU Reinforcement at heel hem opening
      PU Reinforcement around drawcord openings at waist
      Articulated knees

      I N I T I A L R E P O R T
      September 29, 2008

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS
      The Sierra Designs Cyclone Eco Pant showed up in a box with the pant in a clear plastic bag. When I retrieved the pants from the bag they just felt like a quality product. The material just really seemed like quality fabric and felt waterproof. I tried the pants on and they were a little snug around the lower abdominal area but the waist was fine. As seen in the picture above of the front of the pant, there are no pleats and this makes this area smooth and slick. As for the back, they are a little baggy but I guess this is to give room for bending and stooping down. The elastic band is very comfortable and does not feel constricting.

      The hem at the bottom of the leg can be opened by unsnaping the snap and unzipping the leg zip as far as needed. The grey area at the very bottom hem has a rubbery feel to it. This would come in contact with the top of a boot or shoe so it must be for durability purposes. Seeing the openings at the top and bottom, one can see the Drizone fabric and it's construction.

      The Cyclone pants have one side pocket that is closed shut by a waterproof zipper. The pocket has a good depth, not to deep and not to shallow, just right for things not to fall out if left open. Both zippers down the entire length of the leg on the outside are covered with a storm flap. The inner seams are fully taped and the construction of this process is top notch, very well done.

      I am actually looking forward to getting out in the rain with the Sierra Designs Cyclone Eco pants. The material and construction seem like very good quality and the feel of the material when wearing the pants seem very breathable but still have the waterproof feel.

      This concludes my Initial Report
      Check back in December for the Field Report
      Thank you Sierra Designs and BackpackGearTest.org for this opportunity.