application Brooks Range shovel David Bradish

  • d_bradish
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2008
      Please accept my application to test the Brooks Range Sharktooth Mini
      Pro shovel. I have read the BackpackGearTest.org bylaws v. 0609
      including, but not limited to, Chapter 5. I will exceed the listed
      requirements.

      Tester Information
      Name: David Bradish
      Age: 45
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 2" (1.9 m)
      Weight: 170 lbs (77.1 kg)
      Email address: davebradishATgmailDOTcom
      Location: Southern California
      Country: USA
      Date: October 1, 2008

      Backpacking Background:

      I started hiking in my teens in Arizona and New Mexico, primarily
      focusing on winter hiking. Since 1991 I have hiked a lot with my
      brother-in-law Ray mostly in California's Sierra Nevada range, and
      the southern mountains. In winter I bring as much gear as necessary
      to be safe and comfortable. For 3-season hiking I try to follow the
      principles of ultra light. My 3-season pack weights for a three day
      hike are in the teens with everything including food water and sat
      phone.

      Field Conditions and Test Locations

      The time right around the holidays is hard for me to get out because
      of family commitments but I average 2 dayhikes a month and one
      overnighter a month in the winter.

      We try to take at least one multiday Sierra trip in the winter. We
      are thinking about Yosemite for 2008/09.

      We always climb San Jacinto and San Gorgonio each winter, sometimes
      multiple times or attempts. These trips start off in boots and then
      go to snowshoes then crampons and reversed on the way back down. This
      year we are going to attempt Mt Baldy also.

      The temperatures in the mountains should be between 10 and 40 F I
      would guess. I have seen it get lower in the Sierras. I will be at
      altitudes up to 11500'.

      Test plan

      I have been carrying a shovel while backpacking since I was 19. I
      started my love of backpacking doing primarily winter trips in snow
      climbing the mountains of New Mexico. I still love winter and am
      looking forward to the first snowfall.

      I will take the Sharktooth with me on all my snow trips this winter.
      I will be using it to shovel off flat pads for my tent to be set up,
      or for piling snow around it as a wind block.

      I will also use it to dig an entry pit at my tent vestibule. This a
      an area about a foot deep at the door of the tent. It makes it much
      easier to get in and out of the tent while on snow and is a nice
      place to put boots on in the morning.

      I also dig and build a protective pit to use when I melt snow for
      water. This is a combination of a multilevel hole to sit in and maybe
      a wall to block wind if it is not too hard. If it is very hard I melt
      it in my vestibule.

      In the past Ray and I have used our shovels to dig out gear that had
      gotten covered by a few feet of snow, dig outhouses out of 6 feet of
      snow and even to uncover a creek about 8 feet down one time. We moved
      a lot of snow for that one. I am sure I will be doing more things
      like that in the future.

      The safety reason to carry a shovel is to dig a hiking partner out of
      the snow after an avalanche. I have never had to do it but must
      always be ready to. Another is to dig a snow cave in the case of an
      emergency bivouac.

      Here are some things that I will look at if I get the Sharktooth.

      I will see what the right weight is of the shovel as it says
      different things on the web page.

      I will see if the handle will come all the way out of the shovel
      instead of just collapsing down to its shortest length. I like to
      carry the scoop in my outside pocket and the handle on the side of my
      pack.

      Both mine and Rays shovels have flat edges. I will see if the
      sharktooth edge makes it easier to shave the snow when making a pad.
      And if it digs any better.

      Will the longer handle make it easier to get big scoops of heavy snow
      or will it make it to where the scoop could get bent because of the
      extra leverage?

      Will the handle be big enough for my hands to fit in it with big
      gloves on?

      Will it be fun to ride on as a sled? I will get a picture of it in
      use for one.

      I have no tests right now. I have applied for the Nomad jacket.

      My stuff can be seen at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/DavidB1

      Thank you for considering me for this test.

      Dave