Application to Test Primus Lunch Jug - Dawn Larsen

  • Dr. Dawn Larsen
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2008
      Please accept my application to test the Primus Lunch Jug. My test
      agreement was mailed 2 July 2008. I agree to comply with all the
      report requirements including Chapter 5 found in the
      BackpackGearTest.org bylaws v. 0609, which I most recently read on
      July 2, 2008.

      Name: Dawn Larsen
      Age: 47
      Gender: female
      Height: 5' 4" (163 cm)
      Weight: 165 lb (74 kg)
      Email address: vicioushillbilly AT yahoo DOT com
      Florence, South Carolina USA
      Date: 1 October 2008

      Backpacking Background:
      I used to backpack in college a zillion years ago and just recently
      (in the last year) backpacked some private trails twice in Tennessee.
      I have been an avid car-camper for ten years and I have kayak/canoe
      camped for three years, both mostly in Tennessee, Missouri and
      Arkansas. I use a lot of the same equipment for both. I hike
      hilly/rocky trails especially in Tennessee and Missouri. I just moved
      to South Carolina and am planning to check out the terrain here with
      my fifteen year-old son.

      Field Information

      Generally, my son and I camp and kayak in and around Florence, SC. I
      also ride my bike to work 3-4 days per week, rain or shine, and take
      my lunch to work by bike on those days. Food is a big deal with us as
      we are both cooks. No freeze-dried or processed stuff for us (very
      often anyway). We have planned the following trips for the fall and

      1. Train trip to Charleston, SC October 3-6. We will take several
      train trips this fall and winter on the spur of the moment (it is so
      fabulous to live near a train). I will travel with my backpack. We
      take our dinner on the train with us so we don't have to eat lousy
      train food. This could be great for soups on train trips. Charleston
      weather is humid and windy since it is on the coast. Temperature
      range from 70-90 degrees F (21-32 degrees C) during the day to 60-70
      degrees F (15-21 degrees C) at night.

      2. Car camping in Columbia, South Carolina at Dreher Island State Park
      October 24-26. South Carolina can be boiling in September with
      temperatures generally falling in the 90 – 100 degree F (32 – 38
      degrees C) range during the day and 70 – 80 degree F (21 – 27 degrees
      C) range at night; or mild 70 degrees F (21 degrees C) during the day
      to mid-50s degrees F (mid-10 degrees C) at night. The weather changes
      at a moment's notice. It may rain or be hot and dry. Like TN, we have
      to pack for all kinds of weather. The soil is sandy and this
      particular park sits in the middle of a large lake so it is very
      windy. We will bring our kayaks and be on the water every day. Like
      TN, it is always humid, especially on a lakeshore.

      3. Backpacking on the Current River section of the Ozark Trail,
      December 2008. The weather in Missouri is very unpredictable,
      generally humid. Winter temperatures can range from below freezing
      during the day to 75 degrees F (24 degrees C) with below freezing at
      night sometimes. We will be climbing a fairly steep grade near the end
      of the first day and descending the same grade at the beginning of day
      2. We will be hiking about 12 miles (19 km) in and back out.
      4. I belong to a group of kayakers called the Sumter Hiking, Cycling
      and Adventure Club. We paddle and camp at the spur of the moment. So
      if someone posts a trip on the website, we very often join them.
      Usually it is around Sumter, SC. Conditions there are much like those
      in #2.

      5. I ride my bike to work at least 3 days per week, a little over 8
      miles (13 k) one way. I jam full stuff sacks in my soft messenger bag
      that I strap on a bike rack and into my panniers. I ride rain or
      shine. I ride half way on a side street and then half way on the
      shoulder of a major four-lane highway. There is a lot of road dirt,
      grime, and dust that gets into my pannier, which is really a wire
      basket with stuff sacks, and this jug possibly, etc. jammed in it.

      There may be other trips this fall and early winter, as well. After
      October, all car camping (every couple of weekends) will be in South
      Carolina most likely in state parks. We especially like to camp in
      the fall when the weather is cooler. We also plan to do a beach camp
      on a weekend. Backpacking trips may crop up from time to time. I hope
      to backpack a couple of South Carolina trails in the fall. Temperature
      in South Carolina rarely gets below 50 degrees F (10 degrees C) at
      night or above 80 degrees F (26 degrees C) during the day in the late
      fall and early winter. It is in January and February, when temps fall
      below 40 degree F at night.

      Test Plan:
      My strategy is to use this jug a lot. I really need something to hold
      olive oil when I camp/backpack that won't leak. I want something that
      I can put a cup of tea in to take with me and drink after I ride my
      bike to work on cold days.

      Wear - Will this jug break? crack? wash well? Will odors, oil linger
      after washing? Can you wash it in a dishwasher? Does it come apart to
      clean? Is there an o-ring used to seal it? If so, and the o-ring
      breaks, will it still be leak-proof? Can you cook in it? Can you pour
      boiling water into it to steep tea or make couscous? Is it squirrel,
      cat, bear-proof?

      Weight - Is it really light enough to backpack with?

      Leaks - Will it leak around the lid? How will temperatures affect the
      jug? If there is liquid in the jug, even if it is vacuum-sealed, will
      the liquid expand/contract and make the jug leak?

      Temperature – It is double-walled, but will it keep something hot
      after a 1 hour bike ride? or cold after a hot hike? Will the outside
      of the jug be hot or cold to the touch depending upon what is inside
      it? Will it sweat?

      Choice: .5L please

      Previously Written Reports can be found at

      Thank you for considering this application and thanks to Primus for
      providing the Lunch Jug for testing – Dawn Larsen.