Application: Primus Lunch Jug - Kathryn

  • Dark Lazarus
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2008
      Please accept my application to test the Primus Lunch Jug. I have read
      the Survival Guide v.0609 and my tester agreement is on file.

      Application to test the Primus Lunch Jug

      Personal Information:
      Name: Kathryn Doiron
      Age: 32
      Gender: Female
      Height: 1.7 m (5' 8")
      Weight: 68 kg (150 lb)
      Email: kdoiron 'at' gmail 'dot' com
      Location: Washington, DC, USA

      Brief Background:
      I started backpacking and hiking seriously almost five years ago. Most
      of my miles have been logged in New Hampshire and Massachusetts. I
      have recently finished 1200+ miles (1930+ km) of the Appalachian
      trail. My style is to be as light as possible while not spending a
      fortune. My pack weight tends to hover around 20lbs (9 kg) with food
      for 2-3 days. I'm still new to winter camping, but I recently just
      started getting into kayak camping.

      Test Plan:
      As the DC area moves into fall, the weather becomes cold and humid
      with cold driving rains. From last fall and winter I do remember the
      weather being cold, damp and accompanied by a cutting wind. Having a
      thermal jug to carry hot liquids on day hikes would be a boon in this
      weather. I would be interested in testing the 17 oz (0.5 L) size and
      my application will reflect questions about this larger sized jug.

      How big is the jug, is it easy to hold in the hand or just a little
      too big to hold comfortably in one hand. The Primus site says this is
      a stainless steel jug. Is this only the inside or is the outside also
      a brushed stainless steel. The picture looks like the outside is
      plastic. The site also explains that this comes with a leak-proof
      lid. How leak proof is the lid when filled with hot liquids. Will
      the hot liquids create a seal that helps to prevent leaks. What about
      cold liquids, will the leak proof seal also hold. How leak-proof is
      the jug when bouncing around full in a pack. Although the lid is leak
      proof when closed, how well does the lid function when open. Can you
      drink straight from the jug. This is how I would expect to use the
      jug, storing or cooking hot liquids in the jug then drinking/eating
      straight from the jug. Will the threads on the top of the jug be
      comfortable to drink from. Will liquids dribble down the side due to
      the threads. Can items be poured out without too much drippage in
      cases where people are sharing from the jug. 17 oz (0.5 L), is that a
      large enough volume to share with someone or is this more of a single
      serving size.

      I'm assuming hot liquids can be poured directly into the jug,
      therefore it might be possible to cook items like soup in the jug. Is
      it possible to cook more involved items like noodle or rice dishes.
      Is the large size big enough to accommodate cooking items. How deep
      is the jug, will my spoon be able to reach to the bottom for food
      items or to mix up cocoa.

      How easy is it to keep the jug clean. Are the threads close together
      requiring a toothbrush to clean them adequately? Is the lid also
      stainless steel or plastic. Is there a rubber o-ring to seal the jug.
      Can the o-ring be removed to clean underneath. Is it easy to stick
      my hand inside the jug to clean down to the bottom. Will any of the
      parts pick up flavours from the items placed inside. Will my morning
      tea taste like last night's hot chocolate or yesterday's soup.
      Although I don't have a dishwasher, but is it dishwasher safe.

      How rugged is the jug. Will it hold up well to pack life. Will the
      lid leak if packed full of liquids. How tough is the interior should
      I use it to pack other small and/or delicate items to protect them
      from pack life. This jug might hake a nice pack safe for items that
      need to stay dry or remain uncrushed. This could be useful to store
      delicate food items while hiking. Does the outside of the jug warm up
      when filled with hot items, or cool when filled with cold items.

      Game plan:
      My testing plan will include using the Primus Lunch Jug on all
      overnight trips, on kayaking trips (when the weather cools),
      snowshoeing/skiing, as well as daytrips and possibly for work. I will
      be backpacking sections of the Appalachian trail and Shenandoah park
      region which offers challenging hikes and many opportunities to do
      overnights and longer hikes. I am now a member of several local
      hiking/backpacking/kayaking meetups and there are always trips planned
      to join in on. I have at least one weekend trip planned per month
      with day hikes scattered around. Most likely I will be joining in on
      already planned hikes to better learn the area. In October and
      November, I have 2 three day trips and two day trips tentatively
      planned for the Shenandoah National park area. I also have a
      tentatively planned 4 day trip over the Thanksgiving break.

      I welcome the opportunity to test the Primus Lunch Jug. I am
      currently wrapping up testing on one item, field testing another item
      and writing the IR for a newly arrived item.

      Previous Reports:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/dark11lazarus

      Currently Testing:
      White Sierra Simpson capris - Awaiting edits
      Origo Traverse Watch - Field testing
      Montbell EX Lite Down Jacket - Just arrived

      Applications still pending:
      none