Application to Test - Montbell Nomad Parka - Brian Hartman

  • Brian Hartman
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2008
      Please accept my application to test the Montbell Climapro200 Nomad Parka.  I have read the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide, version 0609, including Chapter 5, and I will follow all requirements.  I have also completed the tester agreement and submitted it as required.

      Tester Bio
      Name:  Brian Hartman
      Age: 40
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 9" (1.7 Meters)
      Weight: 145 Pounds (66 Kilograms)
      Email address: bhart1426@yahoo. com
      City, State, Country: Noblesville, Indiana, U.S.
      Date: September 29, 2008

      Backpacking Background:
      I have been hiking and camping for over 20 years but recently started backpacking when my kids joined scouting.  I especially enjoy fall and winter backpacking and camping.  My backpack and gear are older and weigh 40+ lbs (18 kg).  This has limited the distances I have been able to cover and my enjoyment while hiking.  My goal over the next several years is to replace my existing clothing and gear with more suitable and lighter weight alternatives.

      Field Information:  I plan to test this parka on several camping trips during October and November.  I am also planning a solo backpacking trip to Southern Indiana in late fall and again over winter.  My testing will take place mainly in the Midwest with a possible trip to the Rocky Mountains during winter.  I will be riding in a one hundred mile bike event in October which will give me a great chance to test this parka's breathability.  Temperatures during the next three months typically range from 20 F to 65 F (-8 C to 17 C).  The precipitation in Indiana during October, November and December averages 3 inches (7.6 cm) per month.

      Test Plan: I own a fleece jacket and hardshell and am interested in reducing my pack weight during longer trips.  I would like to test this parka to see if the insulated fleece lining allows me to replace my current fleece jacket and hard shell with the Montbell Parka.  Among other things, I will be testing it based on its fit, performance, quality, durability and features.  Some of the questions I will ask are:

      Fit: How well does this parka fit me?  Is it true to size?  How well does the hood fit and does it provide good coverage?

      Performance: How well does ithis parka shed rain?  What about its breathability during high energy activities?  Is it windproof?  Over what temperature range is it comfortable?  Is it easy to put on over a base layer?  Does it eliminate my need for other clothing and thus lighten my pack load?

      Quality: Is it well constructed?   Are there any problems or defects with the fabric or zippers?

      Durability: How does the water repellent coating hold up after months of use?  Does the fabric pill, fade or shrink?  How easy is it to clean and care for?  Does the color bleed during washing?

      Features: Are there pit zippers?  How well do the wrist cuffs and waist draw cord work?  Are the hand and chest pockets usable?

      I am very excited about the possibility of being able to test the Montbell Nomad Parka.  If I am chosen, I would need a size Medium and would prefer the color Black.  Thank you for the opportunity to apply to test the MontBell Nomad Parka!

      Previously Written Reports:

      Owner Reviews:
      Swiss Gear Hiking Poles - August 28, 2008
      http://www.backpack geartest. org/reviews/ Trekking% 20Poles/Poles/ Swiss%20Gear% 20Hiking% 20Poles/Owner% 20Review% 20by%20Brian% 20Hartman/

      Cabelas 3-Watt LED Flashlight - September 11, 2008)
      http://www.backpack geartest. org/reviews/ Lighting/ Flashlights% 20-%20LED/ Cabela%203- Watt%20LED% 20Flashlight/ Owner%20Review% 20by%20Brian% 20Hartman/

      Eureka Pinnacle Pass 3XTA Tent - Submitted for review

      Completed Tests:
      None at this time.

      Currently Testing Other Items:
      None at this time