Application to Test Julbo Run Sunglasses- Chad Fike

  • Chad Fike
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2008
      Application to test the Julbo Run Sunglasses - Chad Fike
      Please accept my application to test the Julbo Run
      Sunglasses. I agree to comply with all the report requirements found
      in the BackpackGearTest.org bylaws v. 0609. I read these documents
      most recently on September 30, 2008.
      I am not sure what frame colors would be offered but I prefer darker
      tones like black or grey. I would be interested in the prescription
      optical insert if that is an option.

      Reviewer Information
      Name: Chad Fike
      Age: 36
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 10" (1.77 m)
      Weight: 150 lb (68 kg)
      Email address: chadfikeAThotmailDOTcom
      City, State, Country: Oakland, Maryland, USA
      Date: September 30, 2008

      Backpacking Background
      I have gone camping, usually very close to home, since my
      teens but only started seriously backpacking around age 30. I do
      mostly weekend trips and often take day hikes. My backpacking
      experience has been mostly in West Virginia, Maryland, and Virginia,
      including parts of the Appalachian Trail. Each trip has been a
      learning experience about techniques and equipment. I try to balance
      weight, durability, and cost with my gear choices.

      Field information
      Testing would take place mostly in forested terrain of the
      Appalachian Mountains of western Maryland and West Virginia. The
      elevation ranges from around 2500 to 4800 ft (762 to 1463 m). I live
      in an area with distinct changes in season. Since this test may run
      from October to January, these glasses would accompany me through
      fall and into winter. Therefore during the test period I could
      encounter anything from sunny days around 70 F (21 C) to snow and
      temperatures below freezing.

      I am applying to test these sunglasses for various outdoor activities
      rather than just backpacking. Since many Julbo glasses are
      recommended for mountain biking, I would love to try them on autumn
      trails. I would also test the Julbo's while dayhiking and, depending
      on snow, cross country skiing. My backpacking trips seem to be
      rather hit or miss, but I do have a three day backpacking trip
      tentatively scheduled for October and would use the glasses on this
      trip and any others I take. I wear eyeglasses, but usually use
      contacts for outdoor activities and would most likely be wearing
      these with contacts. I would also be interested in trying out the
      prescription optical insert if it is an option.

      Located about 10 minutes from my home, Herrington Manor and Swallow
      Falls State Parks and Potomac Garrett State Forest have many trails
      that I regularly ski, bike and hike on. For longer weekend hikes or
      backpacking, there are also miles of trails in several sections of
      the Monongahela National Forest in West Virginia that are within an
      hour of home.

      Testing information
      I have always been a cheapskate when it comes to sunglasses. I would
      like to find out how an expensive pair compares to what I usually
      buy. Since the glasses are not on the website, I am making some
      assumptions about possible features that may be similar to those
      found when I applied for the Julbo Trail sunglasses. I would adapt my
      reports to the actual features. If chosen, I would attempt to
      ascertain the following:

      Fit & Comfort- How well do the glasses fit me? Do my eyelashes rub
      the lenses? Are they comfortable? Do they rub my ears or any other
      places after being worn all day? Do they stay in place during
      activities like running or biking? Does the "elastomer insert at the
      temple end" really help provide "optimum hold" and does the "supple
      shock-absorbent insert" help them to "remain in position on nose"?
      Do they slide around when I get sweaty? How do they look on me?

      Features- Are the lenses nice and clear? I assume these will have the
      Zebra photochromic lenses. How much change is noticeable in the
      lenses? How quick is the automatic transition, is it really 28
      seconds as advertised? How well do the lenses adapt to varying light
      and dark conditions? Are they dark enough for a bright sunny day? Do
      they lighten enough for a cloudy day or wooded trail? How well does
      the anti-fog coating work? Does the "adjustable natural airflow"
      provide enough ventilation?

      Durability- Is the workmanship of high quality? How well do the
      glasses stand up to abuse? How do the flexible lenses perform? How
      much do they flex? Do they scratch easily? Do the hinges work
      smoothly?

      My most recently completed test was of the Hydrapak Streamline and I
      am not involved in any other active tests. This is my only current
      application. My reviews can be viewed at:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/chadfike