Alt Tags...

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2008
      Got my report fixed. I was mistaken in thinking the alt tags would
      mess up my picture filing system....what I get for commeting before
      actually trying something. My early problem was naming images I store
      on my puter using similar tags as one might use for an Alt tag. Come
      report time I had a lot of trouble keeping up with which image went
      where. Now I just name them jt 1, jt 2 etc (jt would indicated julbo
      trail). this lines them up neatly in my photo folders for quick
      uploading. Why my mind thought this would be changed is beyond me. It
      was late, I was tard....
    • Thomas Vickers
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2008
        Html here

        Actually, I will post the html tomorrow since I need to sleep and I am
        having upload issues

        Long Term Report - October 30, 2008
        Testing locations:
        Along the San Jacinto River
        Other Southeast Texas locations

        Conditions:
        Temperature: 64 - 90 F (18 - 32 C)
        Precipitation: none
        Altitude: 0 - 250 ft (0 - 76 m)
        Terrain: Flat and level, loose sand, forest floor, and grass

        Trips:
        Four one-night trips
        Five nights basecamping

        Hanging the hammock:
        One thing that I have really grown to like over the past few months are the
        Snakeskins. As a hammock camper I can not believe that I have never even
        considered using them. I can actually set up this hammock in a few minutes
        (less than 5) on most occasions using the Snakeskins.  Even better is the
        fact that when it is time to break camp, all I have to do is slide the
        Snakeskins down over the hammock and fly and then I am done. This long
        "roll" of hammock is easy to fold up and pack away. Using the Snakeskins
        also means that the hammock takes up a lot less room in my pack versus my
        regular manner of packing the hammock (I stuff everything into the bottom of
        my pack).

        Elbow room:
        One reason that I prefer hammocks is due to their comfort. The Hennessy
        Hammock Explorer Ultralight A-sym is no exception. I have had no issues with
        finding a comfortable way to sleep in this hammock no matter what the
        outside conditions are. I am a side sleeper and sleeping on the ground is
        nearly impossible for me. This hammock though is different story. I can
        sleep on my back (my least favorite position) or I can turn over on my side
        and sleep as well.  The Explorer has what I think is an enormous amount of
        interior space for a hammock. Even when lying on my side there seems to be a
        lot of room to squirm around in. I have never been fond of the tight fitting
        "cocoon" that some hammocks seem to create when I am inside and I have never
        had this feeling inside the Explorer. There is room to spare and I have
        never felt confined or smothered while lying in this hammock.

        Keeping it toasty:
        During the last few days that I used the tent, the night time temperatures
        dropped below 70 F (21 C) for the first time in the test period. This seemed
        to be the point at which I noticed cold spots on my body while sleeping in
        this hammock. As a side sleeper they weren't that much of a problem since
        they were mainly limited to my shoulders, hips, and feet.  Between 70 F and
        about 65 F (21 C - 18 C) I was able to sleep comfortably, but I woke up a
        few more times than I would have preferred due to the cold spots.  When the
        temperatures dipped below 65 F (18 C) the cold spots were annoying enough
        that I had to put an extra sleeping bag under my body (in addition to the
        one I was sleeping in) to stay comfortable.  This wasn't a problem due to my
        location and situation at the time, but if I had been on a multi-day hike in
        the back country, this temperature situation would not have been one I could
        have cured so easily.

        Living in the hammock:
        Due to Hurricane Ike my trail time was limited during this phase of the
        test. I did how ever sleep in the hammock for five consecutive nights after
        the hurricane because it was cooler outside in the hammock than in the house
        with no electricity.  The first night was extremely warm and the reason I
        decided to use the Explorer was because it was unbearable inside for me.
        Over the next four nights the temperatures dropped into the lower 60's F (15
        - 16 C) and I still preferred the open air and breezes outside over the lack
        of ventilation in the house. I was lucky to be close to my home because on
        these nights I did need extra insulation due to the cooler weather, but the
        hammock was definitely the best way to sleep.

        One thing that really tells me how gear is going to work is when I get to
        use it on consecutive days/nights like I did with the Explorer. Not only was
        it extremely comfortable to sleep in after a hard day of clearing storm
        debris, but the hammock itself held up very well to being used daily. The
        construction and materials held up to the use and abuse of staying hung for
        nearly a week and used every night.

        Wrapping things up:
        I have used other hammocks by Hennessy Hammocks and I figured that I not be
        that impressed by the Explorer. The good news is that I was wrong.  The
        Explorer is like the other A-sym hammocks that I have used, but it was
        different in one way and that was the interior room. The Explorer is just
        plain roomy. I can stretch out inside and not be smothered by the sides of
        the hammock. I never felt like I was wrapped up in a cloth cocoon in this
        hammock and that is a more than pleasant surprise.

        I was also disappointed that I never was able to use the Explorer in rainy
        weather. I had one chance during the hurricane, but my fear of flying debris
        kept me from testing the hammock in 70 + mph (113 kph) winds and 8 + inches
        (20 + cm) of rain.  Condensation on the underside of the hammock fly was
        never a problem and on mornings that I found heavy dew on the top of the
        fly, I simply shook or wiped it off before I slid the Snakeskins down.

        If I could describe the Explorer with one word, it would probably be
        "comfort". That is the selling point for me with this hammock. I can sleep
        in it all night long and not get painful pressure points on my shoulders and
        hips. I can sleep in it all night long and not feel like I am wrapped up in
        a giant cloth cocoon.

        Things I like:
        1. Snakeskins
        2. Comfortable to sleep in
        3. Durable

        Things I don't like:
        1. Interior mesh pocket could be larger
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Vickers"
          <redroach@...> wrote:

          > Html here
          >
          > Actually, I will post the html tomorrow

          Hi TV,

          Just give me a yell when the HTML is up and I will edit from it.

          Ray