IR- OR Exped MultiMat - Brett Haydin

  • Brett Haydin
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 27, 2008
      I am pretty excited about this test! It's a pretty neat thing so
      far. You can see the html at: http://tinyurl.com/3jmbxz. Text to
      follow...

      Thank you in advance for your edits and suggestions!

      OR EXPED MULTIMAT
      TEST SERIES BY BRETT HAYDIN
      INITIAL REPORT
      September 27, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Brett Haydin
      EMAIL: bhaydinAThotmailDOTcom
      AGE: 35
      LOCATION: Denver, Colorado, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 195 lb (88.50 kg)

      I started backpacking in Wisconsin as a youth, being involved in the
      Boy Scouts programs. As a young adult, I worked at a summer camp
      leading backpacking, canoeing and mountain biking trips. I now
      generally take short weekend or day trips in rough, mountainous
      terrain, although I have extensive experience in the upper Midwest as
      well. I take one or two longer trips each year, where I typically
      carry about 40 lb (18 kg). I prefer to be prepared and comfortable,
      but I have taken lightweight trips as well.

      ----------

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Exped
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.exped.com
      MSRP: $38.00
      Listed Weight: 19.4 oz (550 g); packsack 0.7 oz (20 g)
      Listed Dimensions: 79 x 39 in (200 x 100 cm)
      Listed Packed Dimensions: 20 x 4 in (51 x 11 cm)
      Measured Weight (with packsack): 19.5 oz (553 g)
      Measured Dimensions: 79 x 39 in (200 x 100 cm)
      Measured Packed Dimensions: 21 x 5.5 in (53 x 14 cm)
      Temperature Rating: 46 F (8 C); R-value of 1.2 (Kalcos test by EMPA)
      Warranty: 5 year on materials and workmanship

      Product Description
      The Exped MultiMat is a versatile picnic mat that also doubles as a
      sleeping pad as well as several other possible listed uses. Exped is
      a Swiss division of Outdoor Research (OR) and this product is
      featured on OR's website as well, which is
      http://www.outdoorresearch.com The MultiMat comes prepackaged in the
      packsack with 3 hangtags attached to the draw cord. One hangtag is a
      generic Exped marketing tag listing different types of products. The
      other two contain product information in three languages: English,
      German and two sides in French.

      The MultiMat is constructed of closed cell and waterproof EVA foam
      and covered wit a rip-stop nylon covering on the top. The nylon is
      the color of rust. The mat can be laid flat, which serves as a picnic
      mat or a tent carpet. When folded in half (length-wise) the mat
      serves as a sleeping pad for warmer conditions.
      Some additional uses listed by the manufacturer are an emergency
      splint when rolled up as well as a canoe or car liner.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The Exped MultiMat is exactly what I expected from viewing the
      website. It is lightweight and appears quite useful. The
      craftsmanship is excellent and I found no defects. The website was
      helpful and easy to use and provided an accurate representation for
      me.

      When completely laid out, the MultiMat provides an good surface for
      picnics as intended. Since I will be using it with my dog, I invited
      my dog to come and sit next to me. The MultiMat easily accommodated
      both of us. Best of all, there were hardly any clinging dog hairs to
      be found! I found it easy to roll the mat back up to place it back in
      the packsack. Because it folds in half, a little care is needed to
      make sure that the edges stay lined up, but it was still an easy
      experience.

      TESTING STRATEGY

      I have several planned uses for the Exped MultiMat. Primarily I will
      use this as a tent carpet when my dogs accompany me backpacking. I
      always worry about the dog claws on the tent floor, but also to
      provide a comfortable spot for him to lay on.

      I also intend to use the MultiMat as a sleeping pad when I can. The
      pad is thinner than my current sleeping pad and I would like to see
      how comfortable it is to sleep on.

      Finally, I also plan to use the pad as a sitting pad. I hope that
      while lounging around camp this mat can provide a decent space to sit
      in lieu of a camping chair. Additionally, in the winter I hope this
      will provide a decent workspace and insulation from the snow.

      SUMMARY

      I am impressed with the apparent uses the MuliMat can provide. It is
      lightweight and easy to use. My hope is that I can find enough use to
      justify the additional weight.

      This concludes my Initial Report on the Exped MultiMat. Please check
      back in approximately two months for my Field Term Report and see how
      well it is performing.

      I would like to thank BackpackGearTest.org and Exped for allowing me
      to be involved in this test series.

      This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer
      Version 1. Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
    • nwcurt
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 2008
        Brett,

        Here are your edits, noted with **. Nice clean report! Feel free to
        upload once edits are made.

        -Curt

        OR EXPED MULTIMAT
        **My understanding is that OR is just the distributor of Exped
        products in the U.S., not the manufacturer. The title should just be
        Exped, then, and I believe they are now required to include what the
        item is. Something like, "Exped MultiMat Sleeping Pad"

        Temperature Rating: 46 F (8 C); R-value of 1.2 (Kalcos test by EMPA)
        **I'm guessing this is Exped's information? Just add a quick note that
        it is mfr. Info

        The MultiMat is constructed of closed cell and waterproof EVA foam and
        covered wit a rip-stop nylon covering on the top.
        **Covered `with' – forgot the `H'

        but also to provide a comfortable spot for him to lay on.
        **Technically I think this is supposed to be "lie down"
      • Brett Haydin
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
          Curt,

          Thanks for the edits. Yeah, I suppose the title can be confusing.

          Edits incorporated and uploaded. See you in two months!

          _____

          Here are your edits, noted with **. Nice clean report! Feel free to
          upload once edits are made.

          -Curt

          OR EXPED MULTIMAT
          **My understanding is that OR is just the distributor of Exped
          products in the U.S., not the manufacturer. The title should just be
          Exped, then, and I believe they are now required to include what the
          item is. Something like, "Exped MultiMat Sleeping Pad"

          Temperature Rating: 46 F (8 C); R-value of 1.2 (Kalcos test by EMPA)
          **I'm guessing this is Exped's information? Just add a quick note that
          it is mfr. Info

          The MultiMat is constructed of closed cell and waterproof EVA foam and
          covered wit a rip-stop nylon covering on the top.
          **Covered `with' - forgot the `H'