APPLICATION - Danner

  • Brett Haydin
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2008
      Please accept my application to test the Danner Formation GTX Hiking
      Boot and Dri Release Socks

      Date: September 2, 2008

      Please accept my application to test the Danner Formation GTX hiking
      boot and Dri Release Socks. I have read the BGT By-Laws (v.0609)
      including Chapters 4 and 5 and will comply with all of the reporting
      terms and requirements. My signed tester agreement is on file. I will
      have no difficulty meeting the minimum expected use requirements and
      plan to use the Danner Formation GTX and Dri Release socks more than
      the required amount of time.

      TESTER INFORMATION
      NAME: Brett Haydin
      EMAIL: bhaydinAThotmailDOTcom
      AGE: 35
      LOCATION: Denver, Colorado, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 195 lb (88.50 kg)
      SHOE SIZE: 10.5

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND
      I started backpacking in Wisconsin as a youth, being involved in the
      Boy Scouts programs. As a young adult, I worked at a summer camp
      leading backpacking, canoeing and mountain biking trips. I now
      generally take short weekend or day trips in rough, mountainous
      terrain, although I have extensive experience in the upper Midwest as
      well. I take one or two longer trips each year, where I typically
      carry heavier loads in excess of 45 lb (20 kg). I prefer to be
      prepared and comfortable, but I have taken lightweight trips as well.

      Why I would like to test the Danner Formation GTX
      These boots really intrigue me as a quality light-weight boot for my
      backpacking agenda this fall. I have several planned trips into
      various Wilderness Areas in the Rocky Mountains. My plans include
      making several summit hikes to some of the Colorado Fourteeners,
      mountains over 14,000 ft (4,267 m). These boots will help me shed
      some of the weight in these long and sometimes difficult approaches.
      I could not find much information on the Dri-Release socks, but I
      think they will still be great!

      FIELD INFORMATION
      If I am fortunate to be selected to test the Danner Formation GTX, I
      will be testing the boots in a variety of settings in the Colorado
      Rocky Mountains. Over the testing period, I have several backpacking
      trips for two to five days each.
      1. September 27 - 30: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness. Elevations
      for this trip will reach over 14,000 ft (4,267 m) as I plan to summit
      several Fourteeners. Average temperatures in September are from 33
      to 68 F (0.5 to 20 C) with daily afternoon thunderstorms. The terrain
      in this wilderness area is especially rugged and also covers alpine
      forests, meadows, tundra and rocky scrambles. On this trip
      especially, lightweight boot will be extremely helpful!
      2. October 11–12: Mount Evans Wilderness Area. I plan to camp in
      the wilderness area and climb two Fourteeners. Average temperatures
      for this time of year are from 26 – 58 F (-3 to 14 C). The terrain I
      expect to encounter will go from wet, marsh-like conditions
      to arctic tundra. This wilderness area actually has an area
      classified as arctic tundra! I plan to hike approximately 24 mi (38.6
      km) over the 3 days.
      3. Late in October, I plan to go out to the Dinosaur National
      Monument. Average temperatures are from 32 to 61 F (0 to 16 C). I
      haven't decided whether this will be in the backcountry or if we will
      camp at a developed site and hike each day, but I definitely will be
      able to test the pillow.
      4. In November and December, I will be staying to the lower
      elevations for my trips. While the temperatures may be a little bit
      cooler, it is not uncommon to have comfortable weather above 70 F (21
      C). Some of the locales I am thinking about are the Great Sand Dunes
      National Park, and Big Bend National Park.
      At least once a month, I tend to take quick, spontaneous trips,
      which will add at least another four days of testing in addition to
      plenty of day hikes.

      TEST STRATEGY
      Aside from the usual statistics of general fit, weight, measurements
      and product description, I hope to be able to utilize the unique
      weather conditions to test a variety of qualities.
      FIT & COMFORT
      • Do the boots fit comfortably? Are there any hot spots that develop
      repeatedly?
      • Do the boots have heel lift?
      • Does the GORE-TEX XCR lining allow for enough breathability to keep
      the boots cool while hiking?
      • Do the laces hold tight and are they configurable to keep these
      boots snug?
      • The heel and collar have additional padding for comfort, according
      to the manufacturer's website. Is this feature as comfortable as
      implied?
      • How comfortable are the socks? Do they have multiple layers that
      could shift? Do they wick away moisture?
      DURABILITY
      • Will the stitching hold up over time?
      • There are numerous eyelets on the boot that appears to be made of
      nylon. Will this hold up after repeated lacings?
      • How well does the fabric hold up from some of the abrasive rock in
      the areas I will be hiking in?
      • Do the soles keep the tread well? Are there any points where the
      soles flake or break away?
      PERFORMANCE
      • How well do the boots provide traction in the varied conditions I
      will face? In particular, do the soles provide enough traction in
      wet, snowy or rocky conditions equally? Are there certain conditions
      where it slips such as logs or slick rocks?
      • The manufacturer's website also notes that the boots
      provide "stability without the weight." This is provided by the
      Terra Force X Lite
      • Does the GORE-TEX XCR remain waterproof for the duration of the
      test period?
      • How well do the uppers provide support to the ankle?
      • Will the toe rand provide enough protection from rocks along the
      way?
      MAINTAINANCE AND CARE
      • How easy are the boots to keep clean after a hike? Do they stain
      easily?
      • Are there any special treatments recommended by the manufacturer?
      • Do the socks wash easily?

      SUMMARY
      I am very excited about the prospect of having the privilege to test
      the Danner Formation GTX hiking boots. I hike just about every
      chance I get, and these boots will help reduce my weight while
      providing support in the rugged areas I plan to backpack. I would
      like to thank the test call monitors at BackpackGearTest.org for
      their consideration and Danner for their generosity.

      PREVIOUSLY WRITTEN REPORTS
      Owner Reviews
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/bhaydin
      Tests in progress
      MontBell Mistral Parka – LTR stage
      TrailDog Wicking T-Shirt – LTR stage
      Sierra Designs Velox 2 Tent (awaiting shipment)
      Outdoor Research Exped MultiMat (awaiting shipment)
      Pending Applications
      None
    • Brett Haydin
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2008
        Oops, I hit send instead of preview before I had the subject line completed.
        Sorry about that!

        Date: September 2, 2008

        http://www.backpack <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/bhaydin>