FR - Traildog Wicking T-Shirt - Brett Haydin

  • Brett Haydin
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2008
      So far the TrailDog Wicking T-shirt has made me one happy dog! Here
      is the Field Rport for your editing pleasure. The html version can
      be found at http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR%20-%

      Here is the text version:

      Quick Overview

      I have taken the TrailDog Wicking T-Shirt on 10 days of backpacking
      and camping during the initial two months of this test series. I have
      found this shirt to be comfortable beyond my expectations, although I
      would like the sleeves to be cut a little longer. Read on to find out
      why I like this shirt so far.

      White River National Forest, Colorado - Quandary Peak Trail - June 20-
      22, 2008
      Elevation: 10,400 - 12,000 ft (3,170 - 3,658 m)
      High temperature: 75 F (24 C)
      Low Temperature: 45 F (7 C)
      Weather conditions: light winds, sunny and warm

      Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado - Longs Peak Trail - July 29-
      30, 2008
      Elevation: 9,400 - 14,255 ft (2,865 - 4,345 m)
      High temperature: 85 F (29 C)
      Low Temperature: 50 F (10 C)
      Weather conditions: slightly gusty winds at times, occasional showers.

      Holy Cross Wilderness, Colorado - Missouri Lakes Trail - August 23-
      24, 2008
      Elevation: 10,250 - 11,250 ft (3,124 - 3,430 m)
      High temperature: 79 F (26 C)
      Low Temperature: 45 F (7 C)
      Weather conditions: occasional thunderstorms, but otherwise sunny and

      San Isabel National Forest, Hancock, Colorado - Car Camping Trip -
      August 30 - September 1, 2008
      Elevation: 11,150 - 14,000 ft (2,865 - 4,345 m)
      High temperature: 77 F (25 C)
      Low Temperature: 45 F (7 C)
      Activities: Day hikes (2) , off-roading and rock-hounding
      Weather conditions: ranged from warm and sunny, to cool and breezy as
      well as soaking rains.

      Other Activities: I also went on five day hikes and two bike rides
      during the field report stage.

      Up until this point, I have found that the TrailDog Wicking T-Shirt
      lives up to its name. The most difficult trip was up to Longs Peak,
      with high temperatures of 85 F (29 C) and averaging 600 ft (185 m) of
      elevation gain for every 1 mi (1.6 m). I had to shoulder extra weight
      for another in our party and even with the extra workout; I was able
      to stay comfortable. I use an older-model backpack which does not
      have any air flow features built in, so any noticeable difference
      should really be a result of the t-shirt. I noticed that the shirt
      did a good job of wicking the moisture away from my back.

      With other non-wicking shirts I have worn, I notice that the moisture
      accumulates throughout the day, but this shirt, while damp in spots,
      was mostly dry at the end of the hike. What remained was able to
      quickly evaporate! I have noticed this pattern on each of my hikes as
      well as my bike rides. This is one dry dog.

      One a few nights, I have experimented with layers over and under the
      t-shirt. The fabric is thin, so I added both long underwear and a
      fleece jacket on several nights when the temperature was below 50 F
      (10 C).

      On the cleandog feature, I have found that the t-shirt does not hold
      odors any more than other t-shirts. While on trail, the t-shirt does
      have a build up of odors, however they do go away after washing. I
      have been careful to wash and dry the t-shirt according to the
      manufactures recommendations. So far, this feature is working quite

      With as much sun as I have had on trail, I was able to test the
      sundog feature as well. I applied a topical sunblock on my arms, neck
      and face, being careful not to apply any to my shoulders, back or
      chest. I am happy to report that I did not get any sunburns on any
      areas covered by the TrailDog Wicking T-shirt!

      I noted in my initial report that there were some loose threads in a
      couple of areas. These have not noticeably impacted the performance
      of the t-shirt.

      This concludes my Field Report on the TrailDog Wicking T-Shirt.
      Please check back in approximately two months for my Long Term

      I would like to thank BackpackGearTest.org and TrailDog Clothing for
      allowing me to be involved in this test series.