RE: [backpackgeartesters] REQUEST: Update Origo Traverse Peak IR

  • Jerry Goller
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2008
      When did we start that?? I've never used inHg.

      Nobody ever tells me nothin'......

      Jerry

      reviews and tests on the planet.

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008
        I might be telling you guys in the states to suck eggs, however:

        Today: the air pressure in Melbourne is:
        - 1021.9 hPa
        - 1021.9 mb
        - 102.19 kPa (apparently the Canadians use kPa for weather purposes)
        - 30.18 inHg (inches of Mercury at 0 C)
        - 14.82 psi (pounds per square inch)

        Just about every US weather forecast that I have ever seen normally
        reports numbers around 29 and 30. Sometimes these are called pounds per
        square inch, but if it really was (i.e. 29 or 30 psi, it would be more
        than two atmospheres worth of air pressure!

        I thought America used psi until I wrote my review. What tipped me off
        was the expression "30 inches", when if it was pounds per square inch,
        it might be called "30 pounds".

        I still think it would be a good idea to fix up my IR.

        Regards,
        Wayne

        20c. Re: REQUEST: Update Origo Traverse Peak IR
        Posted by: "Jerry Goller" ChiefModerator@... jerrygoller
        Date: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:15 pm ((PDT))

        When did we start that?? I've never used inHg.

        Nobody ever tells me nothin'......

        Jerry
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008
          Hi Wayne,

          Mike asked Jenn to address this and she asked me. So here goes.

          While we do use psi for the air pressure in tires and tanks and such,
          the atmospheric pressure that you are referring to with the watch in
          done in inches of mercury. The average sea-level pressure (29.921 inHg)
          is the base for which the flucuations above and below that are used
          for weather forcasting, and to measure differences in altitude (in that
          function).

          So yes in the US we report inHg.

          Ray