REQUEST: Update Origo Traverse Peak IR

  • Wayne Merry
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2008
      Hello,

      I have discovered that my IR has an error in it. America does not use
      psi (pounds per square inch) to measure air pressure, rather it uses
      inches of Mercury (inHg) at 32 F. I request that I correct my posted IR
      as appropriate.

      Regards,
      Wayne
    • krb84108@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 31, 2008
        Wayne

        We do use psi all the time. You are good to leave it.

        Cheers

        Kenny B

        > I have discovered that my IR has an error in it. America
        > does not use
        > psi (pounds per square inch) to measure air pressure,
        > rather it uses
        > inches of Mercury (inHg) at 32 F. I request that I correct
        > my posted IR
        > as appropriate.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Wayne

      • Jerry Goller
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 31, 2008
          When did we start that?? I've never used inHg.

          Nobody ever tells me nothin'......

          Jerry

          reviews and tests on the planet.

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008
            I might be telling you guys in the states to suck eggs, however:

            Today: the air pressure in Melbourne is:
            - 1021.9 hPa
            - 1021.9 mb
            - 102.19 kPa (apparently the Canadians use kPa for weather purposes)
            - 30.18 inHg (inches of Mercury at 0 C)
            - 14.82 psi (pounds per square inch)

            Just about every US weather forecast that I have ever seen normally
            reports numbers around 29 and 30. Sometimes these are called pounds per
            square inch, but if it really was (i.e. 29 or 30 psi, it would be more
            than two atmospheres worth of air pressure!

            I thought America used psi until I wrote my review. What tipped me off
            was the expression "30 inches", when if it was pounds per square inch,
            it might be called "30 pounds".

            I still think it would be a good idea to fix up my IR.

            Regards,
            Wayne

            20c. Re: REQUEST: Update Origo Traverse Peak IR
            Posted by: "Jerry Goller" ChiefModerator@... jerrygoller
            Date: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:15 pm ((PDT))

            When did we start that?? I've never used inHg.

            Nobody ever tells me nothin'......

            Jerry
          • rayestrella1
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008
              Hi Wayne,

              Mike asked Jenn to address this and she asked me. So here goes.

              While we do use psi for the air pressure in tires and tanks and such,
              the atmospheric pressure that you are referring to with the watch in
              done in inches of mercury. The average sea-level pressure (29.921 inHg)
              is the base for which the flucuations above and below that are used
              for weather forcasting, and to measure differences in altitude (in that
              function).

              So yes in the US we report inHg.

              Ray