Application - Julbo Trail Sunglasses - S Pearson

  • Sophie
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2008
      Please accept my application to test the Julbo Trail Sunglasses. My
      test agreement was mailed May 2008. I agree to comply with all of the
      test requirements, including Chapter 5 found in the
      backpackGearTest.org bylaws v. 0609, which I most recently read on
      August 23, 2008. I would prefer the mocha color if possible if I get
      selected.

      Name: Sophie Pearson
      Age: 26
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5' 8" (1.71 m)
      Weight: 179 lb (81 kg)
      Email address: sophiep3 at gmail dot com
      Location: Tampa, Florida USA

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND
      I first started backpacking as a teenager in England. I did a
      month-long trip in the Arctic but most of my backpacking experience
      has been weekend to 10-day trips, in a range of terrains and climates.
      I am a volcanologist so also do day hikes carrying loaded packs over
      intense terrain. Nowadays I am nearly always in sub-tropical or
      tropical climates. I am heading more and more towards ultralight
      packing, and unless I am sharing I use a bivy rather than a tent. I
      try to pack under 20 lb (9 kg) for long weekend trips but have carried
      over 50 lb (23 kg).

      FIELD INFORMATION
      If selected, I intend to wear the Julbo Trail sunglasses kayaking
      every weekend, playing tennis at least twice a week, cycling to and
      from work at least once a week 10 miles (16 km) round trip, at the
      beach, on occasional sailing trips, on recreational bike rides and
      around town. Essentially they will be worn pretty much every day, in a
      wide range of activities. This is primarily in west central Florida,
      where temperatures range between 60 F (16 C) and 100 F (38 C) and
      there is an average of 361 days of sunshine a year. I would also use
      them on backpacking trips to the southern end of the Appalachian Trail
      in November for 4 days, where elevation ranges between 2500 ft (760
      m) and 4500 ft (1370 m) and temperatures are between 40 F (4 C) and 70
      F (20 C), and to Yosemite National Park for 3 days in December, where
      temperatures range between 20 F (-6 C) and 50 F (10 C). On a roadtrip
      for 2 weeks in NE USA and SE Canada over Christmas I will get to try
      them while skiing too. I will be going down to Nicaragua to do
      fieldwork on the volcanoes for about 10 days at some point in the next
      few months, and these sunglasses would definitely go there with me
      also, where the weather is similar to Florida. Other trips tend to
      show up at the last minute as well.

      TEST STRATEGY
      I own 2 pairs of sunglasses, both of which cost under $10. I have
      never bought an expensive pair of glasses, because although I never
      lose them, I have a bad habit of sitting on them and permanently
      deforming them, or of scratching them. Having had laser eye surgery in
      2003 my eyes have become very light sensitive and sunglasses are now a
      necessity rather than a fashion statement. I spend every minute not in
      the office out on the water, cycling or hiking and sunglasses are a
      necessity for a large portion of the year, and are worn by many people
      year round. I would therefore have plenty of opportunity to test the
      Julbo Trail sunglasses and there are a number of things I would be
      looking at in particular:

      Color – How quickly does the lens color change, for example when in
      one of the brief Florida thunderstorms, looking one way will be bright
      sunshine and the other will be black, dark thunderclouds, or playing
      tennis at dusk as I usually do? Also do they get dark enough to be
      really useful? This is very important for me with my light-sensitive
      eyes. How light do they get and in what weather? Do they give a Wizard
      of Oz green tint or a murky-brown tint to the world like other
      sunglasses? Or is the color tint natural while still getting rid of
      the sun glare? Is it in an issue that they are not polarized when on
      the water? I would probably ask people to test this for me, as my
      current glasses are not polarized so I am not going to notice a
      difference.

      Fit – Do these sunglasses stay on or do they fall off when I look
      down? Do they slide down my nose? Are they too tight, which has given
      me headaches with other glasses? Do my eyelashes touch them? How light
      are they; am I conscious of wearing them all the time?

      Shock-absorbing – Does this really make a difference? I play tennis at
      least twice a week, and as well as the impact from running, I appear
      to be a popular target for my tennis club mates. Currently my
      sunglasses dig in every time there is a hard impact (especially to the
      face, yep, my tennis opponents really do like me!!!), will the
      shock-absorbing sections mitigate this?

      Ventilation – Living in Florida and working in Nicaragua, I am
      constantly in very hot, humid conditions where sunglasses make me even
      sweatier. Does the ventilation that the website mentions actually
      work? Do the glasses fog up and if so how long do they take to clear?

      Flexible lenses – Can they cope with me sitting on them (wouldn't be
      the first time!) Do they scratch easily? Do they pack in my backpack
      without getting damaged? If the lenses do get flexed, do they warp
      eventually?

      Panoramicness – Do they go far enough around to the sides to not be
      annoying? One of the reasons for me to get laser eye surgery was that
      I hated the fuzzy, blurred peripheral vision of my glasses so I will
      definitely be conscious of this with the sunglasses too.

      Looks – Do they look OK with a cycling helmet and without? Are they a
      bit masculine? Are they a bit sporty for everyday wear? If I put them
      up on top of my head, do they catch in my hair? Do they leave
      attractive nose-piece marks? Do people notice them/like them? (I know,
      sometimes I can be very female, but after all, sunglasses are a
      fashion accessory!!!)

      In the past I have worn sunglasses only when I had to to be able to
      see when there was strong glare. It drives me crazy when glasses are
      constantly sliding down my nose, or fall off whenever I move my head
      too fast. Many times, I have sat in my very narrow, sit-in kayak
      watching a pair of glasses gradually sinking beneath me and wondering
      how long it will take me to get back into the kayak when I go to
      retrieve them (up to an hour!). I hate the sweaty feeling that glasses
      tend to give living in Florida. Having had laser eye surgery it is a
      vanity issue too – I paid money to not have to have frames on my nose,
      why would I choose to do that again unless the glasses really made a
      difference without me being constantly conscious of them?! I have
      great hopes that these glasses would solve these problems if I am
      selected for the test, and finally make wearing sunglasses a pleasure.

      PREVIOUSLY WRITTEN REPORTS
      Owner Reviews:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/sophp333?PHPSESSID=9ec14ae61843f21814f9d651901f5ea8

      COMPLETED TESTS
      None at this time

      CURRENTLY TESTING
      Nothing at this time

      CURRENTLY SERVING AS MONITOR FOR
      Nothing

      APPLICATIONS PENDING
      Seattle Sports Hydralight Zipaway Dry Stuff Sack
      Lorpen MultiSport Socks

      Thank you very much for your consideration,
      Sophie Pearson