LTR - AMK GlacierGel and Blister Medic - Mark McLauchlin

  • Mark McLauchlin
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2008
      Hello,

      Please find the LTR for the AMK products, Blister Medic and GlacierGel.

      URL; http://tinyurl.com/5gcz65

      Text below,

      Also could I please have my IR deleted in anticipation of a new upload, its
      located here Reviews > Health & Safety > First Aid Kits > Adventure Medical
      Kit Blister Medic Gel

      Many thanks
      Mark

      GlacierGel Long-Term Report

      The GlacierGel Blister and Burn Dressing kit has formed part of my medical
      kit since May when I received the item for testing. The kit has accompanied
      me on approximately 14 days worth of hiking, covering some 200 km or 120
      miles. The hikes ranged from several overnight trips along the coastal
      plains and the Bibbulmun Track as well as some shorter full day walks in
      various national parks in the state of Western Australia.

      I encountered temperatures from as low as 5 C (41 F) at night to a high of
      33 C (91 F) during the day. I walked on hard compacted grounds as well as
      sandy trails, which definitely gave my calf muscles a workout.

      It wasn't until towards the end of the test period that I was able to test
      the GlacierGel on a burn. Whilst out in the shed welding some new shelf
      supports to my work bench one of the hot sparks which you often get when
      welding fell straight through my shirt and onto my shoulder causing a mild
      burn mark. The first thing I did was run inside and reach for the GlacierGel
      kit that is stored away with my hiking gear.

      Reading the instruction on the back of the kit were quite simple, they
      basically state to clean and dry the blister or burn area.Then remove the
      white plastic inner liner to expose the adhesive and gel. Keep the white
      paper backing on and apply the patch to the skin, then remove the paper
      backing and hey presto, all done. What the kit didn't say to was to apply
      the Alcohol Prep Pad to clean the area, and perhaps it shouldn't, as this
      hurt more than the original burn. Ouch!

      The images above show the tear open feature of the packaging which is very
      handy.

      I was most happy with the comfort the pad provided to the burn, there was an
      almost instant soothingness about it. I can see this to be a great benefit
      while out hiking if a burn is received.

      The pad managed to say in place for several days and sticks well to the
      skin. This may have something to so with the fact the skin on my shoulder is
      fairly tight, doesn't sweat at all and is not near any of my joints so the
      skin does not move around.

      I am not able to report on the healing efficiency of the GlacierGel only due
      to the fact that I do not receive burns on a regular basis so it is
      difficult for me to measure against.

      I would also comment that I did not test this part of the kit on blisters as
      these were something I had to inflict upon myself for the test so I wanted
      to use the Blister Medic for that.

      * Summary

      I am very pleased with the way the GlacierGel Blister and Burn Dressing kit
      performed and this is something I would consider making a permanent part of
      my medical kit. I can also see an advantage in keeping this in the home
      first aid kit.

      Things I liked
      Provided comfort relief very fast.
      Stuck well to the affected area.
      Easy to apply.
      Instructions straight forward and easy to understand.

      Things I disliked
      Nothing at this stage.

      Blister Medic Long-Term Report

      Since receiving the product in May I have taken the Blister Medic Kit out on
      all of my hiking activities with the intention of using them on a naturally
      formed blister. As it happens I was also testing another manufactures hiking
      socks at the time which has eliminated all of my blister issues.

      The field information for the Blister Medic is the same as the above details
      in the GlacierGel as the two kits were carried together as part of my
      medical kit. Based on this I will not highlight all of my hiking details in
      this part of the overall report. Please see full details in the GlacierGel
      Long-Term Report section.

      This now creates and issue. In the interests of testing and putting together
      a well informed report I reluctantly went back to my old socks for several
      of my walks, which promptly gave me several blisters on the heels and small
      toe on both feet. The things we do for the joy of testing gear.

      Initially I though having the patches pre-cut was a good idea and for the
      majority of the time it was. There was the odd occasion where the cutting of
      the various shapes did not appear to be complete so I had to manually cut
      them with a knife. No show stopper but something worth mentioning.

      Application of the Blister Medic Patches was a straight forward process. On
      the first blister I received on my small toe I used the Alcohol Prep Pad to
      clean the area of dirt, then I applied the Moleskin Small Toe (kidney
      shaped) patch directly over the area. Very simple and it did provide some
      relief. After several hours of walking the patch had come unstuck and ended
      up in the end of my sock becoming ineffective. At this point in time I
      applied the larger Medium Toe Moleskin, unfortunately this again end up in
      the end of my sock. At this point I ceased with the testing for that hike.

      Although I was not happy with the results of the Blister Medic Patch on the
      first occasion the Alcohol Pre Pad did a very good job of cleaning the area.

      My second attempt to inflict blisters on myself and use the product was on a
      shorter day walk, in an area that is quite rocky. Elevation ranged from a
      starting level of 50 m to a high point of 250 m. There was also heavy
      precipitation. The hike was 17.5 km in a loop style. The blister that formed
      was on my right heel, an area which have some scarring from previous
      blisters years ago, so is sometimes more susceptible to new ones.

      This time I used the Moleskin Large Oval so that the blister was padded by
      the patch. These patches have a removable centre so that the blister is
      actually visible yet has a complete padded area around it. The patch managed
      to stay on a little longer this time, approximately 2 hours, and only
      started to peel away at the edges. I would estimate though with another few
      hours walking it would have come off altogether.

      The patch provided relief and comfort to the area on and around the blister
      and I am more happy with this shape of patch that the others tested.

      During the test period I did not consume the entire kit, I used five of the
      Mole Skins and six of the alcohol wipes.

      I felt that with the blisters I received and the number of patches I used I
      was able to complete the test series and report on their use to the best of
      my ability.

      * Summary

      Overall I was not very impressed with the performance of the Blister Medic
      Kit. I found the patches to be of very little practical use, they failed on
      all occasions to stick to my feet where blisters had formed. The idea of the
      product is good, however I feel further work is needed on their adhesive
      properties before I would consider using these again.

      Things I liked
      Alcohol Prep Pad cleaned well.

      Things I disliked
      Moleskin patches did not stick.
      Pre-cut Patches were not always fully cut and required some manual
      intervention.

      Thank you to Adventure Medical Kits and BackpackGearTest.org for the
      privilege of testing these GlacierGel and Blister Medic products.