Application-Lorpen MultiSport Tri Layer Socks

  • suzi_q_jones
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29 7:42 PM
      Please accept my application to test the Lorpen MultiSport Tri Layer Socks. My signed
      tester agreement was submitted on July 12, 2008. I have read the BGT Bylaws (v. 0609;
      June 2008) including Chapter 5 and agree to comply with all the testing and report
      requirements.

      Name: Suzi Gibson
      Age: 30
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'6" (1.7 m)
      Weight: 165 lb (74.8 kg)
      Email address: suzi_q_jones at yahoo dot com

      City, State, Country: Anderson, South Carolina, USA

      Backpacking Background: I've gone on many family camping trips to various places along
      the east coast of the US since I was a child. The backpacking bug was always there,
      whispering in my ear until finally in my early twenties it bit me! I've since done several
      backpacking trips in Florida, Washington, Virginia, and North Carolina. I typically backpack
      with around 30 lb (13.6 kg) of essential gear (sleeping bag and mat, tent, stove, and
      clothes), food and water and usually go for 2 to 3 days. My current tent and bag comprise
      almost half of the pack weight.

      Field Information:

      Currently, the majority of my outings focus on day hikes in North and South Carolina, USA.
      Fall temperatures in these states range from 65 F (18 C) daytime highs and 41 F (5 C)
      nighttime lows. Early winter temperature range from 44 F (6 C) daytime highs and 33 F (1
      C) nighttime lows. Precipitation is 0.1 in (0.3 cm) in the Fall and 0.14 in (0.4 cm) in the
      winter. Exact hiking and backpacking itineraries are still being formalized. Currently, I do
      plan on conducting several day hikes of at least 5 miles over varying terrain and at least
      one overnight trip on the Carolina Foothills Trail in South Carolina. In addition, there is
      potential for hiking trips on both private and public trails in Maryland, USA as well as the
      Florida Panhandle during early winter. Mean high temperatures in the Florida Panhandle
      are typically 57 F (13 C) with mean low temperatures 46 F (7 C). Mean high temperatures
      in Southern Maryland are 46 F (7 C) with mean low temperatures around 29 F (-1 C). Trails
      hiked in both of these states would be at or below 100 feet (30.5 m) above mean sea level.

      Test Plan:

      I've rarely encountered socks that required a break in period. Nonetheless, I'll use them
      on my daily walks around the neighborhood to gain some early impressions before hitting
      the trails. During testing, I will investigate and report on a series of questions about the
      Lorpen MultiSport Tri Layer Socks.

      Fit & Comfort:
      • How well do they fit prior to and after their first washing?
      • How well are they constructed?
      • How well do they fit during the initial hike? After several hikes?
      • Do they bunch in any area?
      • Do they conform to my feet?
      • Does the instep cross brace provide adequate support?
      • How does the flat toe seam feel?
      • Does the Tri Layer provide too much or too little padding?
      • Does the Coolmax layer wick away water and perspiration well?
      • How does the nylon in the toe, heal and shin interact with the traction inside my
      hiking shoes and if so, how?

      Durability:
      • How well do all the seams and stitching hold up during testing?
      • How well do the socks hold up to potential underbrush snags?
      • Do any of the layers breakdown?
      • Do the antimicrobial properties keep my feet funk in check during an outing?
      • Does the sock wear well or does it tend to wear poorly in high friction spots?

      Performance and Versatility:
      • Do the socks perform well with trail running shoes as well as boots?
      • Do they wick away moisture as claimed?
      • Do they seamlessly integrate into my trail footwear?
      • How well do they handle complete saturation and how does this affect their
      performance?
      • How long do they take to dry? Can they be successfully worn while damp?

      Cleaning and Care:
      • Are the instructions easy to follow?
      • Does cleaning require special detergents?
      • How long does it take to clean them?

      In closing, thank you for taking the time to consider my application for the Lorpen
      Multisport Tri Layer socks. I feel that I can provide a suitable testing environment and
      report my findings back to BGT and Lorpen in an unbiased manner.

      Previously Written Reports

      Owner Reviews:
      Kelty Chuck Wagon Dog Pack (May 12, 2008)
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Animal%20Companion%20Gear/Dog%20Packs/
      Kelty%20Chuck%20Wagon%20Dog%20Pack/Owner%20Review%20by%20Suzi%20Gibson/

      MSR Heat Exchanger (July 11, 2008)
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Cooking%20Accessories/MSR%2
      0Heat%20Exchanger/Owner%20Review%20by%20Suzi%20Gibson/

      Completed Tests:
      None currently

      Currently Testing:
      None Currently

      Currently Serving As Monitor For:
      None

      Applications Pending:
      Lorpen Multisport Trilayer Socks

      Thanks for considering this application,
      Suzi Gibson