IR - Zamberlan RICA Hiker - Leesa

  • Leesa J
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 26 7:27 AM
      My IR is posted here, and copied below.
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/Zamberlan%20RICA%20-%20IR/

      Thanks!

      Zamberlan
      155 Rica GT - Woman's Hiking Shoe
      Test Series

      Initial Report: August 23, 2008

      Tester Information:
      Name: Leesa Joiner
      Age: 46
      Location: Western Maine, USA
      Email: leesaj@...
      Height: 5'7" (1.7 m)
      Weight: 155 (70 kg)

      Background:
      My outdoor experiences include trips varying in length from one-day
      hikes to two-week trips. Most involve my three children. While my style
      isn't as 'high adventure' as some, I do enjoy the time we spend outdoors.
      My load used to be HEAVY - think pack mule. Now that the kids carry their
      own gear, plus the two oldest help carry the food, etc, my load is lighter.
      I go for durability over weight when selecting gear.
      While outdoors, I spend time hiking, geocaching, snowshoeing,
      cross-country skiing and camping. I spend almost as much time outdoors
      during the winter as I do during the summer.

      INITIAL REPORT

      Product Information:
      Manufacturer: Zamberlan
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.zamberlanstore.com/
      Year Manufactured: 2008
      MSRP: $125.00 US
      Measured Weight: 18 oz (510 g) size 9.5 (one shoe)
      Advertised Weights: 16.76 oz (475 g) size 8 (one shoe)

      Product Description:

      From the Manufacturer: A low-cut hiking shoe built on a women's specific
      last using premium quality Hydrobloc� treated water-resistant split-leather.
      The waterproof breathable GORE-TEX(R) membrane and gusseted-tongue
      construction keeps water out while still allowing your foot to expel
      moisture from within.

      Upper: Hydrobloc� Premium Split-leather/ Nylon Cordura(R)
      Upper Protection: Rubber reinforced toe-cap
      Hardware: High Resistance Treatment
      Lining: GORE-TEX(R)
      Footbed: Zamberlan 3-Action Anatomic Footbed
      Padding: Zamberlan Air System
      Midsole/shank: Zamberlan Modular Flex GT
      Toe & Heel: Thermoplastic
      Sole: Zamberlan� A.M.S. grip rubber sole

      First Impressions:

      The Zamberlan RICA GT is a low cut, women's specific hiking shoe. It
      arrived looking as I expected from the company's web page. The hikers are
      two- tone brown and black, made with Hydrobloc� treated water-resistant
      split-leather. The laces feed through reinforced, alternating offset fabric
      loops. The tongue is cushioned on the top inside.

      I found the RICA to be very comfortable. The V notch that is cut out of the
      top of the tongue, keeps the tongue from rubbing against my lower leg (where
      it meets my foot). The back of the hiker also has a notch cut out, that
      keeps it from rubbing against my achilles tendon. There is extra padding
      around the top of the shoe, that so far has kept it from rubbing
      uncomfortably.

      Having worn the RICA's for a few miles, I find them to be comfortable and
      they fit well. I am looking forward to wearing them on many hikes, in many
      different locations and in different weather. I am curious as to their
      ability to handle water, and how well they do on slippery surfaces. The
      manufacturer's claim that they 'expel water from within' is interesting. I
      am not sure if they mean water that comes in from the outside - such as from
      when I may step in a puddle, or if they mean perspiration. Either one
      would be welcome.

      The front toe box of the RICA is a reinforced rubber.

      One of the interesting features of these hikers are the back and tongue
      loops. The back loop makes sliding the hiker on much easier. The front
      loop also serves the same purpose and allows me to put the hiker on while
      standing up, without holding on to anything for support. The lacing is easy
      to loosen and tighten, allowing for quick changes. As seen in the
      pictures, the small black areas on the sides and back of the hikers are
      ventilation areas.
      bottom tread

      The hikers appear to be well made, and are extremely comfortable. The
      shoe is fairly rigid and provides adequate support but remains flexible
      enough to be comfortable. The rubber tread on the bottom of the hikers is
      fairly aggressive. The outside lugs are arranged diagonally around the
      outside of the sole, with the center lugs being in a more front to back
      arrangement (see picture).

      Living in Maine, will give me the opportunity to test these hikers in a wide
      range of weather conditions. Summer is just winding down as we head into my
      favorite outdoor season. Fall is usually beautiful in Maine, with warm
      days and cool nights. November tends to be rainy, which will give me the
      opportunity to try out the 'Waterproof, breathable Gore-Tex' claims that the
      company makes. In the coming 4 months I will be looking at issues related
      to comfort, waterproofness, traction and durability. Please check back in
      approximately 2 months for my field report.

    • cmcrooker
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2008
        IR - Zamberlan RICA Hiker - Leesa

        Hi Leesa,
        HTML looks good. Link to mfr website works. One tiny suggestion, see
        below.
        Carol, Monitor

        The hikers are two- tone brown and black, made with Hydrobloc™
        *** two-tone ***