LTR- EUREKA MOUNTAIL BREEZE TENT- RALPH DITTON

  • Ralph Ditton
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2008
      Hello Michael,

      I attach my LTR for your red pen.

      A copy is in the test file and can be reached through:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR-%20Eureka%20Mountain%
      20Breeze%20Tent/

      Or

      http://tinyurl.com/6maqdp

      Cheers

      Ralph

      LONG TERM REPORT

      DATE: 7th August, 2008

      Field Locations and Conditions

      I spent three nights and four days at the Prickly Bark campsite on the

      Coastal Plain Trail which sits at 60 m (197 ft). The soil is very sandy.

      Overnight temperatures over the three nights ranged from a low of 0.3 C

      to a high of 10.8 C (32.5 F to 51.5 F). (Source. Bureau of Meteorology).

      On the last night, rain fell for a short time and 2 mm (0.08 in) was

      recorded.

      As I had been to this location on many occasions, I knew that the

      supplied tent pegs would be useless in the very loose sand so I used my

      own sand pegs which are 18.5 cm (7.3 in) long. These pegs gave me a good

      purchase in the sand.

      I had a lot of help this time when I started to erect the tent. I had

      two twelve year olds who wanted to help. So as not to disappoint, I had

      one of them place, then hold the tent pole arrangement in the grommets

      at the opposite end to me whilst the other child held one pole tip end

      of the structure at my end whilst I placed my pole tip into its grommet

      housing. The youngster then likewise did the same to the pole tip she

      was holding. Many hands made light work of setting the inner up.

      However, I still had some difficulty with the fly when I was trying to

      complete the insertion of the roof pole tips into the tiny sewn-in

      pockets. I also again experienced the same degree of difficulty when

      dismantling the tent at this location. Perhaps a hook and loop system

      would be better with a little cup shape at the end to prevent the end of

      the pole from sliding through.

      The tent performed very well over the three nights and I did not

      experience any condensation dripping through the mesh of the inner

      during my first night. Condensation did form on the outside of the fly

      but as the photo shows, it was just a light covering. The Dew Point was

      close to the temperature on my first night, but at midnight it was 0.8 C

      (33.4 F) and the temperature was 0.3 C (32.5 F). Hence the condensation.

      I did not experience any condensation on the other two nights.

      condensation on tent

      The reflective tapes on the tent and the reflective guy lines worked

      very well. They made it very easy for me and the other members of the

      group not to go tripping over my guylines, or blunder into my tent

      because it was pitched near the water tank.

      I took a photo of how it looked under headlamp illumination.

      tent at night

      The tent has stood up to the rigours of our bush without any damage to

      the material from either the weather or vegetation. All of the seams are

      still intact and no loose threads are visible.

      Summary

      Over the test period I only used the tent for seven nights. However, I

      did plan on eleven nights but the temporarily repaired pole with duct

      tape failed, so I had to forgo four nights with this tent and use a

      substitute.

      The manufacturer was very helpful in replacing the tent. All I had to do

      was cover the cost of postage for the tent that I sent back with the

      broken pole.

      What I loved about the tent was the very ample interior space. I could

      sit up with bumping my head on the roof. The walls were steep so I did

      not feel claustrophobic when laying down. I could spread my gear about

      on the floor of the tent and I even used a gear loft from one of my

      other tents so that I could store my headlamp and change of underwear up

      there.

      One negative aspect of the tent is its weight and compression size.

      Weight reduction could be achieved using silnylon for the fly and

      greater use of no-see-um mesh for the interior. The roof panels do not

      have to be of a solid material. There is not much that can be done about

      the rolled height due to the length of the folded down pole sections.

      As far as erecting the tent, it took me a little while to get used to

      the poles feeding into the DAC Sunflower Connector Hub system which

      ended up looking like a TV aerial as I had never seen this set up

      before. Also, before I started to bend the pole assembly, it was a case

      of checking, checking again and more checking to make sure that all of

      the pole sections were seated correctly. I did not want to give the pole

      arrangement any leeway that might encourage the possibility of a split

      pole. Not the best sound to hear.

      When folding up the pole structure, I tried various arrangements until I

      found the most practical method that would accept rubber bands to hold

      various sections together so that when I undid the arrangement I had no

      difficulty in removing the rubber bands. In my earlier efforts, I put

      the rubber bands on too soon and I folded over them which made it very

      difficult to unfold the poles when I wanted to set the tent up. One of

      those little bug bears.

      I did not notice any stretching of the fabric when it got wet from rain.

      It only sagged a tad when water pooled above the door way entrances as

      seen in the photo in the Field Report section above.

      The zippers never gave any trouble and continue to work smoothly along

      the tracks.

      On every occasion the tent cleaned up very well when I got home and gave

      it a bath in straight luke warm water. I always clean up my tent after

      an outing so that it is stored away dry and clean.

      The "Likes" and "Dislikes still remain the same as mentioned in the

      Field Report section.

      This report concludes the series of reports and I thank Eureka for

      making this tent available for testing.