LTR- EUREKA MOUNTAIL BREEZE TENT- RALPH DITTON
- Hello Michael,
I attach my LTR for your red pen.
A copy is in the test file and can be reached through:
LONG TERM REPORT
DATE: 7th August, 2008
Field Locations and Conditions
I spent three nights and four days at the Prickly Bark campsite on the
Coastal Plain Trail which sits at 60 m (197 ft). The soil is very sandy.
Overnight temperatures over the three nights ranged from a low of 0.3 C
to a high of 10.8 C (32.5 F to 51.5 F). (Source. Bureau of Meteorology).
On the last night, rain fell for a short time and 2 mm (0.08 in) was
As I had been to this location on many occasions, I knew that the
supplied tent pegs would be useless in the very loose sand so I used my
own sand pegs which are 18.5 cm (7.3 in) long. These pegs gave me a good
purchase in the sand.
I had a lot of help this time when I started to erect the tent. I had
two twelve year olds who wanted to help. So as not to disappoint, I had
one of them place, then hold the tent pole arrangement in the grommets
at the opposite end to me whilst the other child held one pole tip end
of the structure at my end whilst I placed my pole tip into its grommet
housing. The youngster then likewise did the same to the pole tip she
was holding. Many hands made light work of setting the inner up.
However, I still had some difficulty with the fly when I was trying to
complete the insertion of the roof pole tips into the tiny sewn-in
pockets. I also again experienced the same degree of difficulty when
dismantling the tent at this location. Perhaps a hook and loop system
would be better with a little cup shape at the end to prevent the end of
the pole from sliding through.
The tent performed very well over the three nights and I did not
experience any condensation dripping through the mesh of the inner
during my first night. Condensation did form on the outside of the fly
but as the photo shows, it was just a light covering. The Dew Point was
close to the temperature on my first night, but at midnight it was 0.8 C
(33.4 F) and the temperature was 0.3 C (32.5 F). Hence the condensation.
I did not experience any condensation on the other two nights.
condensation on tent
The reflective tapes on the tent and the reflective guy lines worked
very well. They made it very easy for me and the other members of the
group not to go tripping over my guylines, or blunder into my tent
because it was pitched near the water tank.
I took a photo of how it looked under headlamp illumination.
tent at night
The tent has stood up to the rigours of our bush without any damage to
the material from either the weather or vegetation. All of the seams are
still intact and no loose threads are visible.
Over the test period I only used the tent for seven nights. However, I
did plan on eleven nights but the temporarily repaired pole with duct
tape failed, so I had to forgo four nights with this tent and use a
The manufacturer was very helpful in replacing the tent. All I had to do
was cover the cost of postage for the tent that I sent back with the
What I loved about the tent was the very ample interior space. I could
sit up with bumping my head on the roof. The walls were steep so I did
not feel claustrophobic when laying down. I could spread my gear about
on the floor of the tent and I even used a gear loft from one of my
other tents so that I could store my headlamp and change of underwear up
One negative aspect of the tent is its weight and compression size.
Weight reduction could be achieved using silnylon for the fly and
greater use of no-see-um mesh for the interior. The roof panels do not
have to be of a solid material. There is not much that can be done about
the rolled height due to the length of the folded down pole sections.
As far as erecting the tent, it took me a little while to get used to
the poles feeding into the DAC Sunflower Connector Hub system which
ended up looking like a TV aerial as I had never seen this set up
before. Also, before I started to bend the pole assembly, it was a case
of checking, checking again and more checking to make sure that all of
the pole sections were seated correctly. I did not want to give the pole
arrangement any leeway that might encourage the possibility of a split
pole. Not the best sound to hear.
When folding up the pole structure, I tried various arrangements until I
found the most practical method that would accept rubber bands to hold
various sections together so that when I undid the arrangement I had no
difficulty in removing the rubber bands. In my earlier efforts, I put
the rubber bands on too soon and I folded over them which made it very
difficult to unfold the poles when I wanted to set the tent up. One of
those little bug bears.
I did not notice any stretching of the fabric when it got wet from rain.
It only sagged a tad when water pooled above the door way entrances as
seen in the photo in the Field Report section above.
The zippers never gave any trouble and continue to work smoothly along
On every occasion the tent cleaned up very well when I got home and gave
it a bath in straight luke warm water. I always clean up my tent after
an outing so that it is stored away dry and clean.
The "Likes" and "Dislikes still remain the same as mentioned in the
Field Report section.
This report concludes the series of reports and I thank Eureka for
making this tent available for testing.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]