Application to test - SteriPEN Journey - Sam Stamey

  • samstamey
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2008
      Please accept my application to test the SteriPEN Journey. I have
      read Chapter Five of the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide, version
      0609, and I will follow all requirements. My tester agreement was
      mailed in on 7/1/2008.

      Tester Bio
      Name: Sam Stamey
      Age: 42
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 0" (1.83 Meters)
      Weight: 170 Pounds (77 Kilograms)
      Email address: samstamey@...
      City, State, Country: Santa Rosa, California, U.S.
      Date: August 6, 2008

      Backpacking Background: I started backpacking two years ago with my
      wife and two children (ages 8 and 10 at the time). We have been car
      camping for 20+ years.
      Most of our backpacking has been three season camping in the Sierras,
      6000 -12,000 ft (1800 m - 3658 m) and on the Northern California
      Coast. We mostly do a combination of car camping and backpacking.
      Our family recently switched from one 4 person tent to using two 2
      person tents. I usually carry most of the weight and my internal
      frame pack weighs between 40-50 lb (18-22 kg).

      Field Information: Just in time for Summer Cross County running! I am
      the Club manager and assistant coach for a local youth Cross County
      running club. Our club runs 3 days a week and average 12-15 miles (19-
      25 Kilometers) a week. In addition I run another 3 -5 miles (4-8
      Kilometers) a week without the club. Carrying water for our runners
      has always consisted of carrying water bottles or going without water
      for the runs.

      I intend to test the SteriPEN Journey while running with the club. We
      run past two lakes and a creek. Carrying the SteriPEN a couple of
      water bottles I could quickly treat water for the team and get back
      on the trail in no time. The season starts in the summer and goes
      into December.

      Other testing plans include a day hike up to the top of Mount Whitney
      (14,500 ft, 4420 m) in California. This day hike consists of 15-18
      hours on the trail with temperatures ranging from 40 - 90 F (4.44 C –
      32.22 C) and climbing well above tree line. Water is essential on
      this trip and also keeping the daypack weight at a minimum. I the
      past a ceramic filter pump has been used to filter water at the
      various water supplies along the trail. The SteriPEN would be well
      tested on this hike.

      Two more backpack trips are planned this fall. One of the trips will
      be in the Sierras at altitudes of 6000 – 9000 ft (1829 – 2743 m) and
      temperatures ranging from 40 – 80 F (4.44 - 27 C). Water for our
      family of four will be taken from various streams and lakes.

      The other trip is planned for the California coast at Point Reyes
      National park which sits just above sea level. Daytime temperatures
      range from 40 – 80 F ((4.44 - 27 C). Water will be used from lakes
      and creeks as well as from campsites with well water which I have
      always had my suspicions about being not always the cleanest. Again I
      will be using the product to purify water for a family of four.

      I day hike on weekends several times a month at local State parks and
      beaches. Elevation is close to sea level and daytime temperatures
      average in the 70s F (21 C). Carrying lots of water is essential on
      these hikes and the SteriPEN would allow me to carry one water bottle
      instead of many water bottles and give me the chance to fully test
      the SteriPEN's claims.

      Testing Plan:
      Portability – Is the product as light and easy to pack as claimed?
      Does the shape of the product make it easy to fit into the various
      pockets of packs?

      Durability – How does the product hold up for two months, six months,
      and more while being carried in a backpack and daypack? What about
      dropping, I am sure I will no doubt drop the product at least once
      while backpacking. Can it handle everyday use for extended periods of
      time?

      Usability – How easy is it to use? Change batteries? Does it work as
      fast as claimed? Does is still work as fast in six months? How easy
      is the LCD to read during full daylight and also with a flashlight in
      the evenings?

      Battery life – Will the batteries last for the 50 liters that it
      claims it will last? I pack with a family of four so I should be able
      to test this about fairly quickly and thoroughly.

      Floaties – Because this product does not have a pre filter will I
      need to use something else for a pre filter or will the water I use
      be clear enough? This will be a good test because I usually use a
      ceramic based pump with a pre filter.

      The SteriPEN looks like a good alternative to the ceramic based
      filter that I usally carry and it does not leave an aftertaste like
      the tablets that I have tried in the past. I would be very interested
      in testing this product. Thank you for the consideration.

      Previously Written Reports:
      Owner Reviews:
      Benchmade Mini Griptilian 556 knife
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Knives/Folding/Benchmade%
      20556%20Mini-Griptilian/Owner%20Review%20by%20Sam%20Stamey/

      REI Power Stretch Shirt (April 1, 2008)
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Shirts/REI%20Power%
      20Stretch%20Shirt/Owner%20Review%20by%20Sam%20Stamey/

      Completed Tests:
      None at this time.
      Currently Testing Other Items:
      None at this time.