LTR - Numa SWAT Sunglasses - John Waters

  • exec@bysky.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2008
      Becki,

      Below is the text for my LTR on the Numa SWAT Sunglasses. HTML can be found
      at:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR%20-%20Numa%20SWAT%20Sunglasses%20-%20J%20Waters/
      or http://tinyurl.com/6ccce2 .

      I will be OOP until late Wednesday night, so no hurry on the edits.

      John Waters

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS
      I have continued to wear the SWAT Sunglasses daily in Colorado, Florida and
      Michigan under conditions that ranged from 104 F (40 C) and 10% humidity to
      98 F (37 C) and 100% humidity. The weather in Florida was unbearably hot and
      humid. I'll take Colorado's dry heat any time. Aside from hiking in Colorado
      (actually it's more bushwhacking on some of our recent trips) and playing in
      Florida, I used the SWATs while driving 1250 miles (2013 km) to Michigan
      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD
      The SWAT sunglasses are still performing exceptionally well. Nothing has
      come apart or come even close to doing so. Even after wearing them for
      almost 10 hours straight, changing from polarized to orange lenses during
      the day, these sunglasses never felt uncomfortable. I never had that
      uncomfortable feeling of pressure on my nose or over my ears.

      I never use to put my sunglasses up over my head. I was afraid of them
      falling off. I hate to admit that I did this several times with the Numas
      and I actually forgot they were there. They never came lose and they are so
      light I really had to reach up to touch them to see if they were up there.
      I'm going to get a sports chain though because these sunglasses will be a
      part of me for some time.

      I never experienced fogging even in the 100% humidity of Florida during
      drenching downpours that soaked my clothes. Of course, in Florida, just
      walking outside in that humidity my shirts get soggy, so not having these
      get fogged up was impressive.

      The frames have not discolored even being used in ultra high UV out in
      Colorado, or being left on the dash where the temperature in the car will
      get to over 130 F (54 C). Nor did the frames get soft or get out of shape.

      However, I did get a series of nicks and scratches on the frame. As I have
      said, I do a lot of rock scrambling and, not using a neck rope, I take my
      sunglasses off to read things because I need my reading glasses. So during
      one or two of those transitions, I've dropped the SWATs on some rocks
      underfoot. I would have expected something to break for sure. But, all that
      has happened was tiny nicking of the top of the frame going from side to
      side. It's not visible from the front, but it is visible looking down from
      the top. I would add a picture, but I am over my picture limit for this
      report. So, let's analyze this. The nicks and scratches are black. My frames
      are beige. So the nicks show through the coloring. That means that a) the
      material is not colored all the way through and b) if I didn't want nicks to
      show - I should have gotten the black frames. Does Numa have touch up paint?
      I hate to send these back just for some small nicks and scratches, but I'm
      not sure they'll get worse with time or not.

      SUMMARY
      In all, I really like these sunglasses. Great lens choices that are simple
      to swap. The frames are durable, but I am concerned about the wear along the
      top showing through. Although I think the small pinhead nicks came from
      dropping them on rock, it concerns me that there is also wear along the top
      of the frame. That's the part that faces down when I take these off and rest
      them on a hard surface. The polarized lens work great, as do the orange
      lens. The SWATs look great and they feel great, even after extended wear for
      several hours at a time.
      CONTINUED USE
      I'm going to be using them this weekend on the trip to Beaver Island, up in
      the northern part of Lake Michigan. We'll be dune hiking. Great for
      stressing out the legs and also great for stress testing the ability of the
      SWATs to keep dune sand out of my eyes.

      I will continue to wear these almost daily under all sorts of conditions.
      I'll even wear these at night with the clear lens to keep blowing sand out
      of my eyes (how about a polarized clear lens for night driving Numa?).
      They're great. They stay with me.

      Thank you to Numa and BackpackGearTest.com for letting me participate in
      this test.

      John R. Waters

    • becki_s19
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 2008
        Hi John-

        Looks good, only 2 edits to address before you upload. Hope you had a
        good time out on the dunes!

        _Becky S

        > I never use to put my sunglasses up over my head. I was afraid of
        them
        edit: I think you meant "I never used"

        > falling off. I hate to admit that I did this several times with the
        Numas
        > and I actually forgot they were there. They never came lose and
        Edit: loose