FR - Pedco ULTRA POD DIGITAL tripod - Ed Morse

  • Edwin Morse
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2008
      FR - Pedco ULTRA POD DIGITAL tripod - Ed Morse

      James E,
      Here, for your editing entertainment, is my FR for the Ultrapod
      Digital tripod. I find the testing much more fun than writing the
      reports. I hope I haven't left in too many mistakes.
      The complete HTML version should be found at one of the following
      locations in the TESTS folder.

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR%20-%20Pedco%
      20Ultrapod%20Digital%20tripod%20-%20Ed%20Morse/

      Tiny URL here: http://tinyurl.com/55vdoc

      TEST SERIES BY EDWIN MORSE
      FR
      August 01, 2008

      <a name="FRPT">FIELD REPORT</a>

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      All my experience with the Ultrapod Digital tripod in the last two
      months has been in northern Lower Michigan. The weather has varied
      from a low of 45 F (7 C) to a high of 85 F (29 C) and from bright and
      sunny to driving rain.

      The hiking and backpacking was on both easy and well maintained
      trails to poorly marked and poorly maintained trails. The terrain has
      varied from sandy hills with pine and oak forests to wet swamp and
      thick underbrush.

      I've used the Ultrapod Digital while on one day hike on easy and well
      maintained trails. I have also used the Ultrapod Digital on two
      backpacking trips: one short overnight mostly to see if my ankle
      could stand to walk with a backpack again, and a seven-night, eight-
      day hike on the High Country Pathway (HCP) in northeast Lower
      Michigan.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      The day hike was with a new friend on the North Country Trail in the
      Pere Marquette State Forest. We stopped at Sand Lakes for lunch,
      after walking just over 5 miles. I explained a little about Backpack
      gear Testing and that I was testing 2 items I had with me. I took off
      the low gaiters so I could get a picture of the Tevas. Then I got out
      the Ultra Pod Digital tripod to take our picture. While I was getting
      the tripod set up Duane made the comment that it would be more useful
      with a little tripod to be able to fasten it in a tree so it would be
      up higher. I looked around for useable trees but there were none
      close enough. So I grabbed one of my hiking poles and jabbed it hard
      into the sandy ground. Then I wrapped the Velcro around the hiking
      pole and took our picture again. Duane took a picture of me getting
      the camera set up.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Setting up Ultrapod and camera" IMAGE
      CAPTION = "Setting up the Ultrapod and camra">> setting up camera and
      Ultrapod for a picture
      I had not thought about using a hiking pole until that moment but it
      worked just fine.
      Here is one of the pictures I took with the camera strapped to the
      hiking pole.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Lunch at Sand Lakes" IMAGE CAPTION
      = "lunch break">>
      The overnight trip was on the North Country Trail, in the Manistee
      National Forest, was a solo trip starting July 10, 2008 and ending
      July 11, 2008. I needed pictures of other gear I'm testing. There
      were lots of trees around but none with branches low enough to use.
      Here is another picture I took with the camera on the Ultrapod
      strapped to my hiking pole. Following that is another of the Ultrapod
      on the hiking pole.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Breakfast on overnight" IMAGE CAPTION
      = "breakfast in the pines">>

      This is where the camera was for the previous picture
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "camera location for previous picture"
      IMAGE CAPTION = "Ultrapod on hiking Stix">>

      The eight-day hike on the High Country Pathway was the biggest
      opportunity yet to test the Ultrapod and, I felt, my hardest hike
      ever on my out of shape body with a still healing ankle. I've done
      harder hikes but I was always in better physical shape when I
      started. I didn't take as many pictures this hike as I had hoped.
      First it rained much of the first three days and I wanted to keep the
      camera dry. Then I was too busy searching for the trail to think
      about the pictures I should have taken. When I did take pictures on
      this trip using the Ultrapod I used it as a tripod. Here is a picture
      from early on the second day of my hike. I was camped at Grass Lake
      and it was still a little dark.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "HCP 2nd day brealfast" IMAGE CAPTION
      = "HCP starting 2nd day">>

      On the fourth hiking day I got out the Ultrapod and camera while I
      was resting and eating lunch.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "HCP 4th day lunch" IMAGE CAPTION
      = "lunch at a
      campground">>
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "HCP after lunch ready
      to hike" IMAGE CAPTION = "Ready to hike after lunch">>

      The Ultrapod tripod has done very well for me. It is light and easy
      to pack. I've found a way to set it up and take pictures any time
      I've tried to do so.

      SUMMARY

      The Pedco Ultrapod Digital tripod has been a pleasure to take on my
      hikes. I'm sure I will find more and different ways to use the
      Ultrapod for my pictures.

      Things I like:
      Light weight,
      Small,
      The head adjusts easily in many positions.

      Things I am doubtful about:
      The head is best packed in one position or it is bulky,
      The foot piece of the longer leg has started to come off but only
      when I pull it out of a pack pocket.

      This concludes my field Report. The Long Term Report will be added in
      about 2 months.

      I would like to thank BackpackGearTest.org and Pedco for giving me
      the opportunity to test the Ultra Pod Digital tripod.

      Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
    • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2008
        > FR - Pedco ULTRA POD DIGITAL tripod - Ed Morse
        >
        > Tiny URL here: http://tinyurl.com/55vdoc

        Hi Ed! Nice job on the Field Section of your Ultra Pod tripod report.
        Nice photos to tell the story, and I especially like the one of you
        setting up the camera on a trekking pole.

        I only have a few things that caught my eye, which are listed below. As a
        general comment some of your photo captions are capitalized and some are
        not. Since several of them start with proper names I would suggest you
        just capitalize the first letter in all of them.

        Thanks again for your report, Ed. Interesting reading, and well written!

        James T.
        UltraPod Monitor

        +++++++++++++++++++

        I explained a little about Backpack gear Testing and that I was testing 2
        items I had with me.
        [EDIT] Not sure about the capitalization of Backpack and Testing. If you
        are going to capitalize them, then you should capitalize "Gear" as well,
        since we are BGT. So either all words capitalize or all lower case.
        [COMMENT] The general convention is that numbers under ten get spelled
        out, and numbers 11 and above get written numerically. (Exceptions being
        lists and tables, and a few others.) But your meaning is clear, so it is
        entirely up to you. (Whether you change it or not, make sure you are
        consistent.)

        Setting up the Ultrapod and camra
        setting up camera and Ultrapod for a picture
        [EDIT] You seem to have two captions for this picture. If you use the
        first caption, there is a spelling error in "camera"

        The overnight trip was on the North Country Trail, in the Manistee
        National Forest, was a solo trip starting July 10, 2008 and ending July
        11, 2008.
        [EDIT] You have "was" in this sentence twice. I would replace the first
        one with a comma and remove the comma after "Trail": "The overnight trip,
        on the North Country Trail in the Manistee National Forest, was"

        I didn't take as many pictures this hike as I had hoped.
        [EDIT] Add the word "on". "pictures on this hike"

        First it rained much of the first three days and I wanted to keep the
        camera dry.
        [COMMENT] Using the word "first" twice in this short sentence is slightly
        awkward. I would like to suggest using "Initially" instead of the first
        "First".

      • Edwin Morse
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2008
          James T,
          All EDITS and comments changed. My HTML has been uploaded to the
          correct foloder under Photography Assessories.
          I deleted my HTML from the TESTS folder.

          Thanks for the EDITS and comments. I appreciate the help.
          Back in about two months with the LTR.

          Ed M