FR- Flej Solo Cup- Peter Spiller

  • phspiller
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2008
      Hi Pam,

      Below is my Field Report for the Flej Solo cup to edit at your
      leisure. You can find the HTML version here:

      http://snipurl.com/38zm3

      Thanks so much for the time and effort it takes to go through and edit
      these reports. As I gain experience in BackPackGear test, I have a
      growing appreciation for the dedication that people have for this
      orginization.

      Field Report
      August 1, 2008

      The Flej solo cup has been my constant companion during 15 days of
      camping thus far this summer. I have used the Flej Solo cup as my
      primary drinking vessel while base camping as well as backpacking.
      The cup has seen a variety of beverages including coffee, tea,
      lemonade, wine and water. The cup has been used for an extended
      period in the field with only limited maintenance and cleaning. The
      following is my report on its performance.

      Field Locations:

      Silver Lake- June Lake loop Sierra Nevada Mountain Range, California-
      8days June/July 2008

      Elevation: 6772 ft (2064 m)
      High Temperature: 90.2 F (32.3 C)
      Low Temperature: 41.6 F (5.3 C)
      Precipitation: .02 in (.5 mm)

      The Flej solo cup primarily served as my morning coffee cup, and my
      evening tea cup while base camping on Silver Lake.

      Twin Lakes- Mammoth Lakes, CA -5 days July 2008

      Elevation: 8202 ft (2499 m)
      High Temperature: 83.0 C (28.3 C)
      Low Temperature: 44 F (6.7 C)
      Precipitation: 0 in (0 mm) (while no precipitation was recorded, the
      location we camped received several seasonal thunder storms that
      dropped more than a trace amount of precipitation.

      Again the Flej solo cup primarily served as my morning coffee cup, and
      my evening tea cup while base camping at Twin Lakes.

      Heart Lake- Little Lakes Valley, CA- overnight July 2008 1-day

      Elevation: 10300 ft (2064 m) at trailhead
      High Temperature (approximate): 80 F (32.3 C)
      Low Temperature (approximate): 40 F (5.3 C)
      Precipitation: trace amount (a short evening thunderstorm dropped rain
      for about 30 minutes)

      The Flej solo cup was the only drinking vessel I had during this
      backpacking trip. I brewed tea in it during the evening and for
      breakfast, as well as using the cup for water while in camp.

      Three Sisters Falls- San Diego County, CA July 2008 1-Day

      Elevation: 2800 ft (853 m) at trailhead
      High Temperature (approximate): 90 F (32 C)
      Low Temperature (approximate): 55 F (13 C)
      Precipitation: 0 in (0 mm)

      The Flej solo cup was the only drinking vessel I had during this
      backpacking trip. As with the previous trip I brewed tea in it during
      the evening and coffee for breakfast.

      Field Performance

      The Flej Solo Cup has worked solidly as a camping/backpacking cup. I
      have used it extensively, and it had proven to be functional and durable.

      During one extended trip in June and July, I used the cup daily for 14
      day without having the opportunity to disassemble the components of
      the cup and thoroughly clean them. Cleaning consisted of rinsing the
      cup with clean water, pumping the "agitator" a few times, pouring out
      the water and rinsing a second time. The cup held a variety of
      liquids during this trip, and I did not notice any flavor cross
      contamination as long as I rinsed the cup after use. When I arrived
      home, the exterior of the cup was very dirty, and I found that there
      was some build-up on the internal components when I disassembled the
      cup. I put the plastic components in the dishwasher, and washed the
      neoprene sleeve with warm water and dish soap, which returned the cup
      to a respectably clean condition.

      Before leaving for my first camping trip, I tried activating the
      "agitator" feature by sucking on the spout as indicated in the
      directions. I was very hesitant to do this initially with hot liquid
      in the cup, so I initially tested it with cold water. I was able to
      activate the mixing feature this way but I needed to apply more
      suction than I expected. While no water splashed up onto my lips, I am
      still hesitant to mix my hot beverages using this method, and almost
      always mix them by depressing the rubber button on the bottom of the
      cup with my finger. I wondered how useful the mixing would be for me
      as I drink my coffee black, and do not add anything to my tea. I did
      find that using the mixing feature while brewing tea speeds up process
      significantly by forcing the water through the teabag.

      The neoprene sleeve works well to keep my beverage warm or cool for a
      reasonable period of time. It also has insulated my fingers from the
      heat of the hot beverages while gripping the cup. As it is summer, I
      have not had the opportunity to use the cup during temperatures colder
      than 40 F (5.3 C) and cannot comment on whether the neoprene
      insulation will work as well in colder weather. The sleeve has held
      up decently during 15 days of use, although the edges of the sleeve
      have sustained more areas that are frayed or pulling apart. There is
      one small knick in the sleeve; probably as a result of the many times
      I have tightly packed the cup in various backpacks and daypacks. The
      lid has a few minor scratches. At this point all of the wear is cosmetic.

      The design of the cup for me has proven to be a compromise of size,
      shape weight and capacity. Initially I was concerned that the cup was
      too small, and was disappointed that the 9 oz capacity would not work
      for me as an every day "commuter" cup. Upon reflecting on my use of
      the cup as a camping and backpacking cup I have accepted that this cup
      was never intended as for everyday use, and the volume and shape are
      designed for the size constraints imposed when backpacking. The 10 oz
      (.3 L) capacity has worked in the more relaxed environment while
      camping where I can just reach out to my stove and refill the cup.
      The ovoid shape with no extruding parts make it easy to stuff into a
      tight nook in my backpack without worrying about breaking or bending
      any of the components. The plastic smell and taste initially
      encountered when the cup was new has completely disappeared, and at
      this point I cannot detect any taste or smell coming from the plastic
      components of the cup.

      Summary

      The Flej Solo Cup has performed well in two months of testing. I has
      come through 15 days in the field with what I deem an acceptable
      amount of wear and tear; all of which is cosmetic and does not
      adversely affect the performance of the cup.

      The worst I can say about the Flej Solo Cup, is that it has somewhat
      of an identity issue among my backpacking gear. When I am packing for
      a "light and fast" minimal trip, the built in stirring feature
      (agitor) seems like a way to save weight, but I already carry a spoon
      that would accomplish the same task. A cup without the "agitor" would
      be slightly lighter, without the added redundancy; better fitting my
      "light and fast" philosophy. When packing for trips where comfort is
      more of a priority than weight and volume, I would prefer to pack a
      cup with a larger capacity. I would like to have two separate versions
      , one ultralight version without the stirring feature, and a larger
      version with the "agitor" built in.

      Please check back in about two months when I report on the performance
      of the Flej Solo Cup after four months of testing. Thank you Sedge
      Warbler and BackPackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this fine
      cup.
    • pamwyant
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 6, 2008
        Hi Peter –

        Nice report. It's sometimes very hard to think of what to write
        about a simple item, but you've come up with some good information.
        Just a few edits and a comment. Upload when you've addressed them.

        Pam

        Twin Lakes- Mammoth Lakes, CA -5 days July 2008

        Elevation: 8202 ft (2499 m)
        High Temperature: 83.0 C (28.3 C)
        Low Temperature: 44 F (6.7 C)

        ### EDIT: I think you mean 83 F instead of C. Also, remove the .0
        after 83 to be consistent with your other F temperatures.

        During one extended trip in June and July, I used the cup daily for 14
        day without having the opportunity to disassemble the components of
        the cup and thoroughly clean them.

        ### EDIT: …for 14 *days*
        I did find that using the mixing feature while brewing tea speeds up
        process
        significantly by forcing the water through the teabag.

        ### EDIT: …speeds up *the* process
        (Comment: Clever use!)

        There is one small knick in the sleeve; probably as a result of the
        many times
        I have tightly packed the cup in various backpacks and daypacks.

        ### EDIT: Spelling of *nick*
        The
        lid has a few minor scratches. At this point all of the wear is
        cosmetic.

        Upon reflecting on my use of the cup as a camping and backpacking cup
        I have accepted that this cup
        was never intended as for everyday use, and the volume and shape are
        designed for the size constraints imposed when backpacking.

        ### Comment: I think it would read better if you took the `as' out
        before `for everyday use'.

        The plastic smell and taste initially encountered when the cup was
        new has completely disappeared, and at this point I cannot detect any
        taste or smell coming from the plastic components of the cup.

        ### EDIT: …when the cup was new *have* completely disappeared…

        I has come through 15 days in the field with what I deem an acceptable
        amount of wear and tear; all of which is cosmetic and does not
        adversely affect the performance of the cup.

        ### *It* has come through…
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6, 2008
          and it is noticed and apprecaited... Well done, [thou] good and
          faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, We will
          make thee ruler/tester over many things: enter thou into the joy of BGT
          testing...

          Coy Boy

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "pamwyant" <pamwyant@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Peter –
          >
          > Nice report. It's sometimes very hard to think of what to write
          > about a simple item, but you've come up with some good information.
          > Just a few edits and a comment. Upload when you've addressed them.
          >
          > Pam
        • pamwyant
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 6, 2008
            You been listenin' to them televangelists again Coy?

            <grin>

            Pam

            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@...> wrote:

            > and it is noticed and apprecaited... Well done, [thou] good and
            > faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, We will
            > make thee ruler/tester over many things: enter thou into the joy of
            BGT
            > testing...
            >
            > Coy Boy
          • phspiller
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 6, 2008
              Televangelists! o'h good.

              I thought we were going "Monty Python". I was wondering where I was
              going to find an English to Medevil English dictionary. :)

              wrote:

              > You been listenin' to them televangelists again Coy?
              >
              > <grin>
              >
              > Pam
              >
              > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@> wrote:
              > >
              > > and it is noticed and apprecaited... Well done, [thou] good and
              > > faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, We will
              > > make thee ruler/tester over many things: enter thou into the joy of
              > BGT
              > > testing...
              > >
              > > Coy Boy

            • phspiller
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 6, 2008
                Changes were made, and the report uploaded. Thanks Pam and Coy for
                the encouraging words.

                Happy Camping,

                Peter