IR - DryShirt UK Prowik shirt - Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1 9:35 AM
      Following is my IR and link for the Prowik shirt.  I am leaving today for vacation/backpacking and won't be back until 8/11 to receive the edits.
      Nancy
      http://tinyurl.com/68zaks

      DRYSHIRT UK PROWIK SHORT SLEEVE SHIRT
      TEST SERIES BY NANCY GRIFFITH
      IR
      August 01, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Nancy Griffith
      EMAIL: bkpkrgirlATyahooDOTcom
      AGE: 42
      LOCATION: Northern California
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
      WEIGHT: 132 lb (60.00 kg)

      My outdoor experience began in high school with involvement in a local canoeing/camping group called Canoe Trails.  The culmination was a 10-day canoe voyage through the Quebec wilds.  I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania, then for years in Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina and now mostly in the Sierra Nevada of California.  Most of my trips are section hikes or loops from a few days to a week.  I mostly hike in the summer and fall.  I've recently discovered the virtues of lightening the load by updating some older gear, but I'm not an ultralight backpacker.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: DryShirt UK
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.dryshirt.co.uk" LINK TEXT = "www.dryshirt.co.uk">>
      MSRP: £19.99
      Listed Weight: Not listed
      Measured Weight: 5.4 oz (153 g)
      Other details:
      Size tested: Small
      Other sizes available on the website are Medium and X-Large.
      Color tested: Titanium (light grey)
      No other colors show on the website as available.
      Photo courtesy of DryShirt UK

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The Prowik short-sleeved shirt arrived in size S in color titanium as requested.
      It is made of a 100% nylon helix micro fiber knit and has an Invasan AM 110 Anti Microbial anti odor system.
      The website claims a UPF 50+ rating, anti-static, stain release properties and 100% made in the USA.
      The shirt appears to be well-constructed.  The collar is round and the shirt tail is square with no slots in the sides of the hem.  There is a Prowik logo on the right sleeve.
      The seams are neat and straight with no loose or stray threads.  The hem seam is such that the material is slightly gathered at the bottom.
      The shoulder seams do not lie flat.  Photo is taken with shirt inside out.
      However, the collar, sleeve and hem seams do lie flat.  Photo is taken with shirt inside out.

      TRYING IT OUT

      I tried the shirt on and it is loose fitting and slightly large for me.  The shoulder/sleeve seam is about 1" off of my shoulder and the tail is a bit long.  I used the sizing chart on the website and chose the smallest size available.  It fits just about exactly as I would expect based on the dimensions shown on the chart.  It is a men's shirt, so it is not tailored for a woman's body as expected.
      I like the softness of the fabric.  It isn't as stiff as some other synthetic fabric shirts that I own, but it is not quite as soft as cotton.  It is slightly stretchy.  It also does not catch on dry skin on my fingers as some of my other shirts do.  The fabric feels cool to the touch.
      I shuffled around in rubber-soled shoes on carpet to check out the anti-static properties. It didn't cause any clinging problems.  I tried the same thing with another 100% nylon shirt and although the shirt did not cling, I was able to build up a shock easily.  Then I put the Prowik shirt back on and found it very difficult to build up a shock in the same way.  Then I tried rubbing my other 100% nylon shirt between my hands with a pair of wool socks and it became clingy.  I tried the same with the Prowik shirt and was not able to make the fabric cling to itself.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      The shirt is tagless.  Printed on the inside of the shirt below the collar is the size, material, washing instructions and country of manufacture.  There was no hang tag or other product information included.
      The washing instructions are:  Wash in mild detergent in cold water.  Hang dry out of direct sun.

      TESTING STRATEGY

      During the test period, I plan to wear this shirt as often as possible for athletic activities.  I will wear it for running, backpacking, day hiking and mountain biking.  In cooler weather conditions, I plan to wear it as a base layer under a light fleece or jacket.
      My stategy is to evaluate the comfort, fit, ease of washing/drying on the trail and durability.  I will also check out the claims of being odor resistant, anti-cling, stain release and the SPF 50 rating.  Since the shoulder seam is right along the top of the shoulder and the seam does not lie flat, I am also interested in how the shoulder seams will feel with a backpack on.

      SUMMARY

      Overall, my initial impression of the shirt is that it seems to be of high quality and as advertised on the DryShirt UK website.
      Thanks to DryShirt UK and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to test this shirt.
      This concludes my Initial Report.  The Field Report will be amended to this report in approximately two months from the date of this report.  Please check back then for further information.

      Copyright 2008.  All rights reserved.