EDIT for Heather LTR Celestial Gaiters

  • stephanie
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2005
      Hi Heather,

      Thank you for your LTR on the Celestial Gaiters. I have just a few edits
      for your consideration...thanks again

      stephanie swaim
      monitor

      >ring and summer had temperatures
      >anywhere from the 40 F ­ 70F (4-21C) at night and from 60F ­ 90+F
      >(16-32 C) during the day. Since most of my hiking was done in the
      >mountains of north Georgia and North Carolina, elevation ranged from
      >1500- 5000 ft (457-1524 m) and reached up to 93% humidity according
      >to NOAA on a day we headed up a mountain. The gaiters were tested in
      >moderate to mostly light rain, which also caused massive
      >fluctuations in the humidity. One side of the mountain could be cool
      >and dry and the other side could be rainy and humid. Trail
      >conditions were mostly on maintained national forest trails, with
      >some instances of off-trail wanderings usually looking for water or
      >some plant of interest. The trails were sometimes full of blow-downs
      >after storms and still suffering the effects of last years'
      >hurricanes in the infrequently maintained areas.

      EDIT: year's (apostrphe in wrong place)

      >The final phase of my testing began in early March, when the weather
      >in Georgia could still be pretty chilly even during the day and the
      >melting ice and moderate rainfall makes for interesting trail
      >conditions.

      EDIT: made rather than makes

      The gaiters
      >held up very well to all the obstacles the top strap only catching
      >once, and of course the only time I actually cut myself wading
      >through a tree blocking the trail,

      EDIT: I think a comma is needed after "obstacles" as in ...all the
      obstacles, the top strap....

      >Around this time I also began testing the gaiters with new trail
      >runners; the Teva Steep XCR. In testing the gaiters with the
      >Montrails, sometimes the elastic would ride up my heel especially
      >after rock scrambling or near-downhill skiing with my feet on a
      >muddy trail. With the Tevas, I noticed the elastic riding up more
      >often. I'd have to pull it down about twice a hike. The front boot
      >hook also started weaseling its way loose but not riding up over the
      >laces, it would just kinda hang but not hook them. On that same 14
      >mile (km)

      EDIT: missing metric there

      >A final last minute outing was a great test of the gaiters on and
      >off some trails in the Nantahala wilderness of North Carolina. All 4
      >area trails were blue-blazed, and naturally we got on the wrong one.
      >Parts of the trail were literally chest deep of weeds and vines, and
      >we found ourselves wandering off trail a few times then going back
      >to find the blazes.

      EDIT: chest deep with weeds and vines (with rather than of)

      > The hike started with a light rain and the muddy
      >trail and swollen streams attested to the previous nights' heavy
      >rains.

      EDIT: night's (apostrophe in wrong place)