Application to Test: Kelty Binto Bar - Dawn Larsen

  • Dr. Dawn Larsen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2008
      Application for Kelty Binto Bar

      Please accept my application to test the Kelty Binto Bar. My test
      agreement was mailed 2 July 2008. I agree to comply with all the
      report requirements including Chapter 5 found in the BackpackGearTest.
      org bylaws v. 0609, which I most recently read on July 2, 2008.

      Name: Dawn Larsen
      Age: 47
      Gender: female
      Height: 5' 4" (163 cm)
      Weight: 165 lb (74 kg)
      Email address: vicioushillbilly AT yahoo DOT com
      Florence, South Carolina USA
      Date: 2 July 2008

      Backpacking Background:
      I used to backpack in college a zillion years ago and just recently
      (in the last year) backpacked some private trails twice in Tennessee.
      I have been an avid car-camper for ten years and I have kayak/canoe
      camped for three years, both mostly in Tennessee, Missouri and
      Arkansas. I use a lot of the same equipment for both. I hike
      hilly/rocky trails especially in Tennessee and Missouri. I just moved
      to South Carolina and am planning to check out the terrain here with
      my fifteen year-old son.

      Field Information

      I am currently on summer break and plan several trips through July and
      August. I am more versed in car camping than any other camping. We
      take our meals pretty seriously, going gourmet as much as we can. If
      the Binto Bar arrives early enough, the testing would take place in:

      1. Missouri near the Current River on private land in Van Buren, July
      14-17. Fairly hilly terrain, but we are car camping in a field on a
      private farm. Temperatures vary, but usually between 80-95 degrees F
      (27 0 32 degrees C) daytime and 65-75 degrees F (18 – 24 degrees C)
      nighttime, generally very humid. It has been fairly wet so there will
      be a good chance of rain.

      2. Tahlequah, Oklahoma on private land near the Illinois River, July
      20-24. About the same terrain and temperatures as in Van Buren.
      Oklahoma has been a little drier this season, however. We will be
      camping in a private field.

      3. Arkansas on the Buffalo River July 29-31. We plan to camp at a
      private campground. Again, temperatures and terrain very similar to
      the Missouri trip.

      4. South Carolina at Dreher Island State Park Aug 11-13. South
      Carolina is hotter with temperatures generally falling in the 90 – 100
      degree F (32 – 38 degrees C) range during the day and 70 – 80 degree F
      (21 – 27 degrees C) range at night. It is also drier in South
      Carolina. The soil is sandy and that particular park sits in the
      middle of a large lake so it is very windy.

      5. There may be other trips during these two months, as well. After
      mid August, all car camping (every couple of weekends) will be in
      South Carolina most likely in state parks. We especially like to camp
      in the fall when the weather is not so warm. We also plan to do a
      beach camp on weekend. Same behavior applies to future trips. We like
      to cook and eat when camping.

      Test Plan:
      My strategy is to use the Kelty Binto Bar just as I do my plastic tub
      that I keep all my cooking paraphernalia in. This tub keeps the water
      out, but I can never find anything in it. All the small stuff seems
      to fall to the bottom even if I use stuff sacks. I will keep the
      Binto Bar on a folding table under my Kelty Sunshade day and night.

      Organization – this would be the most important factor when testing
      this equipment. Will I be able to find all my utensils and gear?
      Will it be large enough to hold all my gear: (backpacking stove (as a
      spare), skillet, matches and lighters, plates, papertowels, knives,
      utensils, etc. Will it crunch my crackers? Will I need extra plastic
      bags so my crackers don't get humidly soggy?

      Dry – Is it water resistant enough to leave out under the sunshade
      even if it rains? I don't like hauling items in and out of the car.

      Durability – Will the carrying straps and shoulder strap withstand
      multiple trips? Will the item withstand our hard use. Is it made from
      quality materials and made well?

      Ease of Use – Can I lug it around easier than my plastic tub? Are the
      carrying straps convenient and do they work well?

      Clean – If it has a food prep area, can that be cleaned easily both at
      camp and then at home? Can the entire item be cleaned easily from
      spills and general camping dirt?

      Previously Written Reports can be found at

      Thank you for considering this application and thanks to Kelty for
      providing this Binto Bar for testing – Dawn Larsen.