EDIT: LTR Gregory Whitney 95 Backpack Arnold

  • edwardripleyduggan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2008
      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "al peterson"
      <alp4982@...> wrote:

      > LTR Gregory Whitney 95 Backpack Arnold Peterson
      >
      > URL for HTML in test folder: http://tinyurl.com/67hjhq
      >

      > LONG-TERM REPORT
      >
      > LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS
      >
      > I did two bushwhacking hikes on very steep parts of mountains in the
      > Franconia area in May when most of the snow was gone. Temperatures
      > were about 50 F (10 C) and the slopes were a combination of sloping
      > rock, grassy areas, and dense evergreens. I hiked around Echo Lake
      > to Profile Lake and return

      ### EDIT: returned

      to Echo Lake. I hiked Mt Moosilauke 4802
      > ft (1464 m) on a 60 F (15.6 C)

      ### EDIT: space after end of parenthesis. Also, just (16 C) will
      do--round up

      day, when winds at the top were about
      > 35 mph (56 km)

      ### EDIT: period at end of sentence

      I backpacked in Douglas State Forest with a
      > temperature of about 80 F (26.7 C) and no wind. When I backpacked
      > for three nights on the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway Trail and the
      > surrounding areas of Washington New Hampshire, day temperatures were
      > at least 80 F (26.7 C) with little or no breezes and the nights were
      > about 60 F (15.6 C) with lots of insects.
      >
      > PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD
      >
      > I have been impressed with the comfort, even on long hikes and
      > backpacks. I have worn the pack for as long as 7 hours and have not
      > felt the need to take it off. I have been in 80 F (27.6 C) weather
      > and have been comfortable. I did notice when the winds were about 35
      > mph (56 km), I was pushed around a bit.

      ### COMMENT: More than normal with a pack in those conditions? Or just
      the average amount. I've had problems in the Whites keeping my footing
      with quite a small pack, so I want to make sure that the pack isn't
      getting unfair blame here.

      > I used the fanny pack for two bushwhacking hikes on the mountains
      > near Franconia Notch. I carried a 1 liter water bottle, camera, cell
      > phone, sun lotion and insect repellent on these 2 hours hikes. I
      > found that the fanny pack was great to use on these short hikes where
      > the slopes were very steep. I have hiked here before with a backpack
      > and wished my center of gravity was lower. With the fanny pack I
      > could accomplish this goal and feel balanced.
      >
      > I did a 2 hour hike with the Whitney with a 25 lb (11.3 kg) pack from
      > Echo Lake to Profile Lake and back. This was mostly on a bicycle
      > trail and I was able see how stable the Whitney was when I was
      > walking at a faster rate. The path was mostly level with a few steep
      > areas. There was a trail around the lakes which was mostly small
      > rock and tree roots. I found the stability excellent on all parts of
      > this hike.
      >
      > On the Mt Moosilauke hike, I was carrying 17 lb (7.7 kg), the temp
      > was 60 F (15.6 C) and the winds at the summit were about 35 mph (56
      > km). The pack was comfortable throughout this 7 hour hike.
      >
      > I backpacked with 5 other hikers to a shelter in Douglas State
      > Forest. My pack was loaded to about 33 lbs (15 kg) this included 4
      > liters of water. The 5 (8 km) miles

      ### edit: "the 5 mi (8 km)" reads better

      to the shelter took about 4 hrs,
      > it was hot and I required a lot of stopping for rest. The pack was
      > comfortable at all times and felt a part of me. One of my hiking
      > companions made slight adjustments to my backpack. The hike out took
      > only 2 hrs, and the pack was about 5 lb (2.3 kg) lighter and it was a
      > little cooler. I had space left over in my backpack even with a
      > bivy, air and foam pad, sleeping bag, down pillow, food,
      > miscellaneous clothes, and 4 liters of water. Other items including
      > camera, cell phone, sun lotion, insect repellent, compass, head lamp,
      > and personal items were in the bonnet which was still not quite full.
      >
      > On the three night backpack on the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway Trail I
      > hiked with a 25 lb (11.3 kg) backpack. We did about 6 hour hikes on
      > 2 days of about 6.3 mi (10.1 km) and 5.5 mi (8.9 km). We spent our
      > first night at General Washington Shelter. See picture below. The
      > second day we drove north and spotted a car at Pillsbury State Park
      > and hiked to the Max Israel Campsite. See picture below. The
      > temperature that day was about 80 F (26.7 C)

      ### EDIT: (27 C)

      and the humidity was