Application for test: Exped MultiMat - Kurt Papke

  • kwpapke
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2008
      Application: Exped MultiMat - Kurt Papke

      Please accept my application to test the Exped MultiMat. I agree to
      comply with all the report requirements including Chapter 5 found in
      the BackpackGearTest.org bylaws v. 0609 which I most recently read on
      June 6, 2008.

      Name: Kurt Papke
      Age: 54
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 4" (193 cm)
      Weight: 220 lbs (100 kg)
      Email address: kwpapke at gmail dot com
      City, State, Country: Minneapolis, MN USA
      Date: July 1, 2008

      Backpacking Background: mostly in Minnesota - I've done all of the
      Superior Hiking Trail (SHT) and Border Route (BRT). Dayhiking in
      Michigan, Wisconsin, Utah, Colorado and Oregon. Mostly Spring/Fall
      seasons, but plan to do more summer hiking this year. Have been a tent
      camper in the past, but started using my new Hennessey hammock this
      Spring. Typically hike with ~20-25 lb baseweight, 15-17 miles/day
      pace, most backpacking trips are 1 week in duration.

      Field information:
      Testing would take place in Oregon (spending July with my daughter in
      Portland) if it arrives in time, on the North Shore of Minnesota, the
      Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and western Wisconsin. The terrain would
      be forested hills/valleys, with some mountain hiking in Oregon.
      Temperatures will vary during the test period from around the freezing
      point to the 80's in July, though if the LTR period stretches into
      November the mat could see some temperatures well below freezing.

      Test plan:

      My principal use will be as bottom insulation for my Hennessey
      Explorer Ultralight Hammock. I am an ardent user of the Hennessey
      SuperShelter, so I will test its performance in many hammock
      - Laying on it directly in the hammock with/without the SuperShelter
      - Using it as an adjunct to my Thermarest (no SS) inside the hammock
      to keep my shoulders warm. I could likely fold to double or even
      quadruple the layers to test its effectiveness on my shoulders
      - As the sole insulation layer above my Undercover (no OCF pad)
      - As auxilliary insulation in the Supershelter (with OCF pad) as a
      replacement for the space blanket I currently use
      - As an additional layer to augment the OCF pad and space blanket

      The way I have tested my current insulation system is to begin the
      night with minimal insulation underneath me, and add layers as the
      night gets colder. I will use the same methodology with the MultiMat
      to ascertain its effectiveness.

      I will also test the mat a few times as a lining layer in my tent
      underneath my Thermarest while begrudgingly sleeping on the ground.

      I will evaluate the product for:

      - Usability: how easy is the blanket to deploy (and keep in place)
      inside the hammock or in the Undercover?
      - Reliability & robustness: how well does the mat resist rips and
      tears, particularly when entering/exiting the bottom entrance slit in
      my HH?
      - Functionality: How much warmth does the mat add? How does it
      compare with a space blanket?
      - Insulation/weight effectiveness: the Multimat weighs in at 19 oz,
      how well does it stack up to a space blanket or the Hennessey OCF pad
      in warmth delivered versus weight and bulk?
      - Packability: how small does the mat re-pack after use? Can it be
      rolled up in my #4 snakeskins with the rest of my SuperShelter?

      I graduated from noobiness recently with the completion of my Kombi
      Latitude LTR. I am in LTR test on the Mountainsmith Boundary pack and
      FR test on the Adventure Medical products, and waiting on delivery of
      the Aquamira Pro Filter. I have one other application pending on the
      Moflow hydration system.

      My reviews: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/kwpapke

      Thank you for your consideration.