IR- Big Agnes Elbert Sleeping Bag- Will Rice

  • dalenmoney
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1 11:34 AM
      I am encountering some bugs with these public library computers. I
      also ran into a problem using a bmp instead of a jpg. I will take
      back the pics to my home computer and fix that problem. I will be
      back in 2-3 days with that fixed, ready to make edits and upload a
      final IR.

      Please make edits to my text so that when I return I can edit that
      text and upload the final IR, and be done with it. Otherwise, it
      will take me 2-3 days to bring my fixed picture version here to the
      library to be posted and another 2-3 days to edit the text version
      and get it back to the library as well.

      Thanks,

      Will

      BIG AGNES ELBERT SL
      TEST SERIES BY WILLIAM RICE
      INITIAL REPORT
      June 23, 2008

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: William Rice
      EMAIL: tdnarrator@...
      AGE: 27
      LOCATION: Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 7" (1.70 m)
      WEIGHT: 145 lb (65.80 kg)

      I began backpacking at the age of 13 when I first went to summer camp
      (1993). In 1999, I started working with a college tripping
      organization in outdoor trip logistics (in gear preparation), and
      then as a leader. My most frequented hiking locations are in the
      Carolina Appalachians and the Smoky Mountains during the cold early
      spring and the summer. I stopped being a trip leader in 2004, and now
      I average about 4 backpacking trips and 4 day hikes per year. I carry
      between 25 and 35 lbs (11.3-15.8 kg) on multi-day trips.

      ----------

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Big Agnes
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      Manufacturer's Website: www.bigagnes.com
      MSRP: US$ 179.95
      Listed Weight: 2.5 lbs (1.14 g)
      Measured Weight: 2.5 lbs (1.14 kg)
      Shoulder Girth: 67.5" (170.8 cm)
      Hip Girth: 64" (161.92 cm)
      Listed Compressed Bag Size: 7" x 9"
      Measured Stuff Sack Size: 7.5" diam x 15" (19.0 x 38.0 cm)
      Fill: Primaloft SB (18 oz/ 0.51 kg)
      Color: Wine/ Ash/ Black
      Temperature Rating: 35 F (~4 C)

      Manufacturer's Picture

      INITIAL OBSERVATIONS

      The Elbert SL comes with a large mesh bag for storage and a smaller
      stuff sack for packing. The small stuff sack compresses the sleeping
      bag, but not to its full compression.

      The outer part of the sleeping bag is made of a material called WRM,
      created by Big Agnes. This material is a tightly woven nylon that is
      claimed to keep out minor amounts of water and prevent fabric
      saturation.

      The bag is filled with PrimaLoft Insulation. The info tag claims that
      PrimaLoft is more compressible than continuous filament. It also
      claims to be the warmest, wet or dry.

      Features
      - integrated sleeve for sleeping pad
      - integrated sleeve for pillow
      - fabric loops for securing liners
      - shoulder flaps to prevent draft
      - mummy shape

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      The only instructions for use were for the sleeping pad installation.
      The instructions are clear and simple. It says to sit at the head of
      the pad and slide bag over it like a pillow case. This method works
      very well for slipping the sleeping pad into the sleeping bag's
      sleeve.

      TRYING IT OUT

      This sleeping bag is very light and much smaller than my current bag.
      It also feels very comfortable. I slept inside the bag in my bed and
      it kept me very cozy with the AC turned down to 65 F (~18 C). It does
      not have a bottom zipper to let air in for my feet. I foresee that
      this might be a problem for warmer temperatures. The zipper seems
      small to me, but has not presented too much trouble starting or
      zipping. It was relatively easy to find and zip up in the dark.

      The shoulder flaps have me excited. I have to sleep with a shirt on
      in the winter because when my shoulders get any kind of air contact
      on them, I wake up. These flaps looks like they will solve that
      problem.

      The fit of the bag allows me to lay on my stomach as well. Although
      its a mummy and its much closer in all areas, I still think I am
      going to be able to lay on my side and on my stomach.

      TESTING STRATEGY

      I plan to sleep outside in inclement weather under a tarp and in
      clear skies with just the bag/pad. I am going to try and get at least
      one trip to a higher elevation locale (such as Mt. Mitchell) where
      the temperatures will be cooler. I also want to try this bag out on
      grass, hard packed dirt, and rocky terrains.

      Although the bag is intended for back sleeping (since it is a mummy),
      I want to also try it out sleeping on my side and on my stomach.

      SUMMARY

      The bag appears to be everything it claims to be. It is comfortable,
      light, and warm.

      It also integrates well with the pad, so far.

      Likes:
      - Very light

      Dislikes:
      - No bottom zipper for foot ventilation

      This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer
      Version 1. Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
    • rayestrella1
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2 5:00 PM
        Hi Will,

        I am editing this for Mark. You do still need to put the HTML version
        in the test folder and alert us here.

        Ray

        EDIT: must be changed

        ***Listed Weight: 2.5 lbs (1.14 g)

        EDIT: that is a light bagÂ… I think you mean 1.14 "kg"

        ***The bag is filled with PrimaLoft Insulation. The info tag claims
        that
        PrimaLoft is more compressible than continuous filament.

        EDIT: PrimaLoft SB (PrimaLoft makes different kinds of insulation)

        Also this is not much of a description. Take a look at some other bag
        reviews and see what we are looking for.

        ***I slept inside the bag in my bed and it kept me very cozy with the
        AC turned down to 65 F (~18 C).

        Comment: this is not the type of testing we do. I think that you need
        to talk about how it works in a backpacking situation, not at home in
        your bed

        ***I foresee that this might be a problem for warmer temperatures.

        EDIT: rather than speculating about its shortcomings why don't you
        wait until you have proof of it before complaining?

        ***The shoulder flaps have me excited.

        Comment: what shoulder flaps? You should have that in your product
        description so the readers will know what you are talking about.

        ***The fit of the bag allows me to lay on my stomach as well. Although
        its a mummy and its much closer in all areas, I still think I am
        going to be able to lay on my side and on my stomach.

        Edit: In one sentence you say that you can, then in the next you say
        you think you will be able. Which is it?