FR Ruff Wear Bark'n Boots Grip Trex Jo Ann Moffi

  • Jo Ann Moffi
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2008
      Hi Ryan,

      Here is my FR for the Bark'n Boots.

      http://snipurl.com/2s6l7

      Thanks!
      Jo Ann

      **************************
      FIELD REPORT
      July 1, 2008

      Testing Locations:
      Morgan has worn the boots on our hiking and backpacking outings. Most
      of our hiking and backpacking has been in the Hiawatha Highlands and
      Voyageur Trail system areas in the Algoma region just outside of Sault
      Ste. Marie, Ontario. These two areas have many linked trails
      meandering through red and white pine old-growth forests and dense
      boreal stands of jack pine and spruce linked by a network of rivers,
      lakes, and wetlands. Elevations range from 225 to 315 m (738 to 1033
      ft) above sea level. We have also ventured up into Lake Superior
      Provincial Park, about 2 hours north of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. The
      terrain here consists of trails similar to those found along the
      Voyageur Trail with the addition of rock and pebble beaches, long
      sandy stretches, and numerous stream crossings.

      We hike an average of 5 km (3 mi) per week. Sometimes this would be a
      2 km (1.2 mi) trek, others times it would be a 7 km (4.4 mi) trek.
      Over the past two months, I estimate Morgan has worn the boots for 20
      km (12,5 mi) of trails and bushwhacking. This is a very rough estimate
      though, as my husband and I only walk along the our path once, but
      Morgan trots and runs all over in the bush, running up ahead and
      coming back to us the entire time we are on the trail. She is not
      leashed when we are hiking and backpacking unless we are in a well
      traveled area. A rough estimate would be her traveling 3-4 times the
      distance we do depending on how interesting the bush is along the
      trail.

      Testing Conditions:
      The weather has been cool for spring; temperatures have ranged from 0
      to 24 C (32 to 75 F). Although we haven't had any snow as
      precipitation, there has been snow pack in the bush into early June
      this year. The skies have been clear, cloudy, and dark with
      thunderstorms over the field testing period.

      Terrain and Footing:
      Morgan has worn the boots on hard packed dirt trails, leaf and twig
      strewn forest floor, large rocky beaches, sandy and small pebble
      beaches, muddy and boggy areas in the bush.

      The Fit of the Bark'n Boots Grip Trex:
      Getting the boots on and off Morgan is pretty easy. She's used to
      wearing boots, so she stands there while I stand over her and go from
      foot to foot putting the boots on. She does not move as freely with
      the Bark'n Boots as she does with other boots she has worn. The sole
      is fairly rigid for a dog boot.

      Once she starts out on the trail, she almost seems to forget she is
      wearing them. I say almost because after wearing them for an hour or
      more, she starts to lick at the cuff of the boot. This is her
      indicating that something is not comfortable. When I take off the
      offending boot or boots (it only occurs on her front legs), she licks
      at her dew claw for a bit. I have examined her dew claw for signs of
      irritation, but I haven't seen anything visible. When I further
      inspected the fit of the boot on Morgan's leg, the cuff reaches about
      a 1.25 cm (0.5 in) above her dew claw, just below the carpal pad. This
      is where the manufacturer states the boot should fit, but the strap
      and lash closure then rides right over top of her dew claw. In order
      for the boots to stay on, they need to be snugly closed, which has
      this strap tightened right over her dew claw. It seems this is ok for
      a while but becomes irritating over long periods of wearing the boots.
      It also seems to become more bothersome if Morgan has gone into water
      with them on. The point of her licking at the cuff starts sooner.

      In The Field Performance:
      On our first backpacking trip of the season, Morgan wore the boots
      while we bushwhacked through about 4 km (2.5 mi) of unmaintained trail
      and bush. They were really put through their paces as she ran through
      the bush, into muddy puddles and boggy areas, over logs and brush,
      along large flat rocks near the shore of a small lake, and over
      boulders. The boots performed quite well in helping Morgan keep her
      footing and protecting her feet. She did have some trouble when
      climbing over logs and boulders. It was like she wasn't used to the
      extra centimeter or so (1/2 inch) of boot protruding beyond where her
      toes would normally end. She would occasionally get her toe caught on
      whatever she was climbing over.

      On other hikes Morgan has worn the boots along maintained trails with
      no obstacles, but I find they are unnecessary on those infrequent
      occasions. Our hikes usually start out on these types of trails or
      along an old logging road, and then end up bushwhacking or along
      unmaintained trails. She will start out without them on then I will
      put them on when we start to get into heavier terrain. Either she will
      carry them in her pack or I toss them into an outside pocket in mine.

      One hike we went on had us climbing over melon sized rocks along the
      shores of Lake Superior. On that particular day I forgot the boots at
      home. At the end of the day, Morgan's feet were sore. I was feeling
      terrible that I was such a bad parent for forgetting about her feet to
      when we left the house. We will definitely not be doing that again
      without the Bark'n Boots!

      Durability:
      Other than the boots being very dirty, they are holding up very well.
      There aren't any areas of excessive wear, stitching coming loose, or
      other issues. Morgan does not try to chew or pull at them to get them
      off, but she is obviously has no concern for being careful with the
      boots. They are well engineered and manufactured.
    • Heather
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 8, 2008
        Doh, just got this!! Luckily I'm fast.

        Nice report Jo Ann, good html too. Just a couple tiny edits:

        Thanks,
        Heather

        >This is a very rough estimate
        >though, as my husband and I only walk along the our path once,

        EDIT: the `the' is unnecessary

        > the end of the day, Morgan's feet were sore. I was feeling
        >terrible that I was such a bad parent for forgetting about her feet to
        >when we left the house.

        EDIT: the use of `to' seems awkward too me. Did you mean `too', it
        sounds fine without the `to' in any case.