TEST CALL: Getting Better Backcountry Sleep, Part 1

  • nwcurt
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2008
      Get a better night's sleep with this hybrid air/plush pillow during
      your test of the Cocoon Ultralight Air-Core Pillow. It's bigger than
      most AND lighter than most. The details:

      Cocoon Ulralight Air-Core Pillow
      Best viewed at http://www.rei.com/product/766035
      Newbie Limit does NOT apply
      US Shipping is fine (international assumed okay if tester pays postage)
      Curt is the Mod
      Please include the word "Cocoon" in your posted application
      Applications deadline is 11:59 pm PST (GMT -7) on Tuesday, July 8th.

      Sweet dreams!
    • Andrew Preece
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30, 2008
        Hi
        Can I apply for this first part, the pillow without applying for the
        second part?
        Thanks
        Andrew Preece

        nwcurt wrote:

        > Get a better night's sleep with this hybrid air/plush pillow during
        > your test of the Cocoon Ultralight Air-Core Pillow. It's bigger than
        > most AND lighter than most. The details:
        >
        > Cocoon Ulralight Air-Core Pillow
        > Best viewed at http://www.rei.com/product/766035
        > <http://www.rei.com/product/766035>
        > Newbie Limit does NOT apply
        > US Shipping is fine (international assumed okay if tester pays postage)
        > Curt is the Mod
        > Please include the word "Cocoon" in your posted application
        > Applications deadline is 11:59 pm PST (GMT -7) on Tuesday, July 8th.
        >
        > Sweet dreams!

      • Leesa J
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 30, 2008
          Hi Andrew,

          They are 2 separate items - you don't need to apply for both.

          Leesa

          On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:42 PM, Andrew Preece <
          max.headroom.cacher@...> wrote:

          > Hi
          > Can I apply for this first part, the pillow without applying for the
          > second part?
          > Thanks
          > Andrew Preece
          >

          > nwcurt wrote:
          > >
          > > Get a better night's sleep with this hybrid air/plush pillow during
          > > your test of the Cocoon Ultralight Air-Core Pillow. It's bigger than
          > > most AND lighter than most. The details:
          > >
          > > Cocoon Ulralight Air-Core Pillow
          > > Best viewed at http://www.rei.com/product/766035
          > > <http://www.rei.com/product/766035>
          > > Newbie Limit does NOT apply
          > > US Shipping is fine (international assumed okay if tester pays postage)
          > > Curt is the Mod
          > > Please include the word "Cocoon" in your posted application
          > > Applications deadline is 11:59 pm PST (GMT -7) on Tuesday, July 8th.
          > >
          > > Sweet dreams!

        • Greg
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1 3:54 PM
            Here you go Curt, an application to get your pile started.

            Greg M

            Application to Test: Cocoon Ultralight Air-Core Pillow
            Date: 07/01/2008

            Please accept my application to test the Cocoon Ultralight Air-Core
            Pillow. I have read the BGT By-Laws (v. 0609) including Chapter 5 and
            will comply with all testing requirements. My signed tester agreement
            is on file, acknowledged by Chuck Carnes on April 16, 2008.

            Personal Information:
            Name: Greg McDonald
            Age: 21
            Height: 6' 0" (1.83 m)
            Weight: 225 lb (102.00 kg)
            E-Mail: gdm320 AT yahoo DOT com
            Location: Boynton Beach, Florida, United States

            Backpacking Background:
            I have been camping for 16 years, 11 of them have included hiking in
            the backcountry. I earned the rank of Eagle Scout and completed a 10-
            day, 100+ mile (160+ km) trek at the Philmont Scout Ranch in the
            mountains of New Mexico. The majority of my hikes are between 1 and 3
            nights, mostly on the Florida Trail. I am a lightweight but
            comfortably equipped hiker with a loaded pack including food and
            water between 25 and 30 lb (11 and 14 kg).

            Testing Locations, Conditions, and Activities:
            • Myakka State Park & The Florida Trail (Florida, United
            States) – Approximately Sea Level elevation with very little
            variation, a few hundred feet at the most. The summer months are
            particularly hot, with daytime temperatures averaging between 75 and
            100 Fahrenheit (23 and 38 Celsius), cooling off in September to
            October, which would likely be near the end of this test series. Of
            course, rain is extremely common and can range between a weekend-long
            drizzle to a half hour raging monsoon. High dew points are a
            certainty, especially during the summer months. The precise number of
            overnights for these locations will be a minimum of 2 nights,
            possibly as many as 4. During the test series timeframe there will
            also be several day hikes on these trails, likely 4 or 5 of them.
            • Appalachian Trail (North Carolina, United States) – Likely
            elevations ranging between 1450 and 3800 ft (450 and 1200 m) with
            temperatures varying by elevation, average daytime highs are between
            75 and 90 Fahrenheit (23 and 33 Celsius). Precipitation also varies
            by elevation; with the higher elevations becoming increasingly wet
            but the entire region is prone to drastic weather changes and rapidly
            developing storms. This trek has a time length that is to be
            determined, likely to be 3 nights.
            • Acadia National Park (Maine, United States) – Elevations
            ranging between Sea Level and 1500 ft (0 and 500 m) at its highest
            peak. Heavy moisture and steady rain for several straight days is
            entirely normal in this region. Daytime high temperatures range
            between 70 and 80 Fahrenheit (20 and 27 Celsius). This trip will be a
            single-night outing, likely with 2 days of hiking.

            Testing Strategy:
            I currently use a Slumberjack pillowcase which I stuff with whatever
            (preferably clean) spare clothing that I have. On one hand, it only
            adds an ounce or so of weight to my pack. On the other hand, if its
            day 6 on the trail I've blown through my supply of clean clothing and
            the pillow becomes less than desirable.
            • Comfort – Since we're talking about a pillow, how comfortable
            it is might be the most important thing of all. Can I sleep on my
            back, sides, or stomach and have appropriate head and neck support
            but still remain comfortable? I am a restless sleeper, so will I roll
            off the edge of the pillow? What are the overall inflated dimensions
            of the pillow? How soft and comfortable is the microfiber shell on
            the sleeping side? Does the ripstop nylon on the backside keep from
            sliding around inside my sleeping bag hood? Does the pillow remain
            firm and inflated throughout the night? The link provided to see the
            pillow goes to REI, and there are two very negative reviews that both
            said the pillow completely deflated halfway through the night so I
            will be watching it very closely.
            • Setup – How easy is the Cocoon Ultralight Air-Core Pillow to
            inflate? How long and how many breaths does this process take? Is the
            pillow self inflating at all? How long does this pillow take to
            deflate? Does it deflate by itself, or do I have to squeeze it down
            and roll it up tightly before it packs down?
            • Durability – How durable is the pillow? Does the microfiber
            shell hold up well over time? Does the ripstop nylon back hold up as
            well? Do the materials discolor or wear abnormally? Do the edges or
            seams delaminate at all? Can the pillow take some punishment, or does
            it puncture easily?
            • Quality of Construction and Materials – How well is the
            pillow put together? Is the inflation valve of quality and well
            secured to the body of the pillow? Are the seams glued, stitched, or
            both? How complete is the job? Are there any obvious weak spots?
            • Packability – How packable is the pillow? What are the
            overall dimensions and weight when packed? Will the Cocoon Ultralight
            Air-Core Pillow be worth the additional weight and space in my pack?
            • Cleaning – Does the pillow show a lot of dirt, or does it
            keep itself reasonably clean? What are the care instructions? How
            must the pillow be cleaned?
            • Maintenance – What sort of routine or emergency maintenance
            can be performed on the pillow? Can temporary repairs be made easily
            in the field if necessary? How easy or difficult are permanent
            repairs made at home?

            Air-Core Pillow to rigorous usage under a variety of conditions.

            Work Load:
            • Current Tasks:
            1. Scarpa Kailash GTX Boots (IR uploaded, awaiting edit.
            Entering FR stage.)
            2. TrailDog Clothing Wicking T-Shirt (FR stage.)
            3. Drafting one OR, afterwards I will be drafting ORs
            specifically for the July OR Call.

            • Pending Applications: Humangear capCAP

            • My reviews are available here:
            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/gdm320

            I would like to thank the involved call managers, monitors,
            moderators, and Cocoon for your careful consideration of my
            application to test the Cocoon Ultralight Air-Core Pillow, I look
            forward to the selections.
          • S
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 4 7:27 PM
              Please accept my application to test the Cocoon Ultralight Air-Core Pillow. I have read the
              tester reporting requirements and agree to comply. I have also read the BackpackGearTest
              Survival Guide, Version 0609, including Chapter 5. My Tester Agreement is on file.

              TESTER BIO
              Name: Sheila Morrissey
              Age: 27
              Gender: Female
              Height: 5'8" (1.7 m)
              Weight: 155 lb (70 kg)
              Email Address: geosheila(at)yahoo(dot)com
              City, State, Country: Goleta, California, USA
              Date: July 4, 2008

              BACKPACKING BACKGROUND:
              I hike and camp at every opportunity and in every season. I especially enjoy backpacking
              in the Sierra Nevada and in Los Padres National Forest. My pack typically weighs around
              25 lb (11 kg), including consumables. I use a tent, sleeping bag and sleeping bag when
              backpacking, usually with a fleece jacket rolled up for a pillow. If selected to test this
              pillow, I will mostly be using it in the pillow pocket of my Big Agnes Elbert sleeping bag.

              FIELD INFORMATION:
              Plans are in the works, but here's what I'm thinking for upcoming hiking/backpacking
              trips. I will be sticking to California over the next few months. I will either hike at
              elevations close to sea level or close to 9,000 ft (3,000 m). I might see sea spray or sunny
              weather or thunderstorms. I'll hope for nice temperatures around 75 F (24 C) this summer,
              but will see lower temperatures for sure in the fall, perhaps 45 F (7 C) at night.

              Were you jealous of Rebecca's Lost Coast photos? I was. For my birthday (late July), I'm
              headed up there for a few days to do the 25-mi (40-km) north-to-south beach walk.

              After the birthday trip, so sometime in August probably, I'm going to the Sierras with my
              other usual hiking partner. Turns out there are some lakes with the same name as her last
              name, so I wrote her an email yesterday saying we have to go visit them. She responded,
              "yes." I have an idea that they're at about 9,000 ft (3,000 m).

              School starts again in late September, so I'll want to head up to the Eastern Sierra for
              some hiking, either day hiking or backpacking, for a couple of days before classes begin.

              I tend to stay on local trails more often during the quarter, so I'll probably go run around
              for a weekend close to home in Los Padres National Forest at some point.

              TESTING PLAN AND STRATEGY:
              During my test of the Air-Core Pillow, I will address the following issues:

              1. Comfort:
              How comfortable is this pillow? Is it most comfortable only half-inflated? Can I feel any
              seams?

              2. Durability:
              I read the rumors that this pillow can't hold air very well overnight. Hopefully they've fixed
              the problem and I'll be looking at just this – does the pillow hold air overnight? Does the
              pillow survive being tossed in a pack and perhaps being stepped on by a puppy dog?

              3. Weight:
              My main question will be – is it worth the weight and space this pillow takes up in my
              pack?

              CURRENT TESTS:
              Eureka! Mountain Breeze tent – LTR due mid August
              Timex Expeditions E-Tide Temp Compass watch – LTR due early September
              Big Agnes Elbert SL 35 sleeping bag – FR due early September
              Big Agnes Clearview Air Pad – FR due early September

              PENDING APPLICATIONS:
              Westcomb Syncro Pant

              TEST REPORT AND OWNER REVIEWS:
              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/geosheila

              TESTER TRACKING PAGE:

              MONITORING:
              LuxuryLite Gear Koozy Kitchen
              I'm second in line for another one as well.

              OTHER:
              I am also an OR editor and a mentor. I have completed 13 ORs, plus a BP in the works.