POST: FR - Columbia Hot Shot Shell - askLarry

  • larry
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2008
      Hi Ryan-

      Submitted for your approval...an FR on the Columbia Hot Shot Shell.

      Also can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/4k8nx5

      Thanks in advance for the comments!

      -larry

      FIELD REPORT
      June 29, 2008

      FIELD CONDITIONS

      To date, I have carried the Hot Shot shell with me on a number of
      hiking trips, but I actually only had reason to wear it on one of the
      trips, which was a weekend hiking trip in April in southeast Ohio at
      elevations between 800 and 1000 ft (245-305 m). The temperature on
      the trip was between 65-75 F (18-24 C) during the time I was hiking,
      and somewhat cooler overnight, probably around 60-65 F (16-18 C)
      while I was in camp. It rained towards the late afternoon while I was
      on the trail, as well as on and off while in camp during the evening.
      I have also worn the Hot Shot while biking to/from work on a few
      occasions. This is an 8-mile trip with a few small hills, and the
      weather has been hot (80-85 F/26.5-29.5 C) and humid on the
      afternoons when I have worn the Hot Shot to bike through mild late
      afternoon showers. In addition to using it for these physical
      activities, I have carried the Hot Shot with me to/from work for the
      past 2 months, and have worn it in whenever appropriate.

      FIELD EXPERIENCE

      From the time I wore the Hot Shot on the trail, I can report that it
      functioned extremely well to keep me dry. I had stuffed the Hot Shot
      into my pack and pulled it out at the first few rain drops, and wore
      it for the rest of the afternoon under my pack. It wasn't raining
      particularly hard so most of the time I wore it unzipped, but there
      were a few squalls which made me zip up all the way to the hood.
      Under these conditions, the Hot Shot kept me very dry, and it was
      very comfortable to wear with a fully-loaded pack. I did not feel
      especially hot while wearing the shell, although most of the time it
      was unzipped. When I got to camp that evening, I took my pack off but
      left on the Hot Shot because of continued rain. I felt no restriction
      of my movements while wearing it, and it dried quickly after the rain
      had ceased. When I got home after the weekend, the Hot Shot did not
      show any signs of use. I also had a chance to try out the pockets on
      the Hot Shot. Because they are rather large, I had plenty of room to
      stow trail mix, matches, a compass, and other items I wanted to keep
      handy. I also had no problem with water getting in the pockets when I
      opened them in the rain, although it was not raining hard when this
      was going on.

      In terms of my other use of the Hot Shot, I have only ridden my
      bicycle with the Hot Shot unzipped. As noted above, it has been quite
      hot and humid during these times, and I have felt quite hot when
      riding. Wearing the Hot Shot while riding in these conditions makes
      me sweat quite heavily as it blocks the wind and prevents evaporation
      from my arms while riding. One thing that I have noticed is that the
      hood is big enough to flip over my helmet while riding (although this
      is usually unnecessary, as the helmet shelters my head adequately).
      For daily (non-hiking) use, I have found the Hot Shot to be a great
      thing to have around. It is light and easily stuffed into my bag, or
      tied around my waist. As noted, it keeps me very dry, although has a
      tendency to make my pants very wet, as the rain runs off the bottom
      of the jacket onto them. I don't think this would be a problem on the
      trail, as I usually wear my rain pants if it is raining that heavily.

      WEAR AND TEAR

      As noted, I have carried the Hot Shot around on any day with even a
      hint of rain in the forecast. Usually, it is stuffed into my bag, and
      taken out when needed. With this type of abuse, in addition to the
      hiking/biking use described above, I have not noticed any signs of
      use on the jacket. The Hot Shot looks about the same now as it did
      when I pulled it out of its box for the first time.

      FIELD IMPRESSIONS

      Overall, I have been extremely impressed with the performance of the
      Columbia Hot Shot Shell. Its solid construction has held up without
      fault over 2 months of testing, which has included some backpacking,
      some biking, and a lot of wearing around town. It keeps my upper body
      completely dry, although this can expense of water running onto my
      pants. I feel that the fabric breathes reasonably well, but because
      it blocks out the wind, it struggles with activity in the extreme
      heat/humidity.

      Over the final two months of the test, I will continue to use the Hot
      Shot for biking and walking around town, and currently have 3 camping
      trips planned which will allow me to use it more on the trail. All of
      this will be in fairly hot weather, so I will see how I tolerate
      being hot and dry in my Hot Shot, versus being cooler and wet without
      it.

      This concludes my Field Report on the Columbia Hot Shot Shell. Please
      check in back in about 2 months for my final report on this item.
    • Ryan L. Christensen
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2008
        Larry,

        Nice report. You've made my job very easy. I do however have a
        comment.

        <COMMENT> you mention that you have carried the shell on several trips,
        but only used it once. How many trips have you carried the shell with
        you, and why did you not use it? I think readers would like to know.

        Other than that, you are good to upload. See you agian in two months.

        Ryan
      • larry
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2008
          Hi Ryan-

          Thanks--I'm trying!

          The only reason I didn't wear the shell on some trips is because it
          wasn't raining! I have changed the wording of that part a little and
          uploaded.
          See you in 2 months

          -larry

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan L. Christensen"