Re: [backpackgeartesters] Re: Attn. fellow Comet backpack testers....

  • ken bennett
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 3, 2005
      On 7/3/05 9:32 PM, "chcoa" <jdeben@...> wrote:

      > So the main bend in the supports faces outward. How weird! THat's
      > what I thought I remembered but it was so uncomfortable to wear I
      > thought it must be wrong. I hiked with them concaved for about 3 hours
      > on Sat. and it felt fine. I guess I better switch it around so my
      > tesing isn't off.

      If it's not comfortable, it may not be right. When I got my Starlite pack,
      it came with the optional stays. I put them in (they could only go in one
      direction over the pad pocket), but I couldn't figure out how they anchored
      at the top. I was doing it wrong for a couple of months until I asked Ron
      Moak about it. (He said now he sends the packs out with the stays
      installed.)

      You might give him a call or email. I think a lot of customers (like me)
      might take the stays out and not be able to get them back in properly.

      Ken B
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 3, 2005
        Thanks Coy. I guess my having to ask shows my inexperience with
        frame optional packs. But I'm learning. :)

        have a wonderful 4th
        jamie d

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@y...>
        wrote:
        > most pack staves are shapes like this. pretend you are facing left
        > looking at the screen. your back will be on the right. the top of
        > the pack stave(s) will bend this way over your shoulders. \ then
        going
        > down your back it/they will bend this way. / then lowest of all
        > it/they will bend back the other way away from your hip like this. \
        >
        > Coy Boy
        >
        > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...>
        wrote:
        > > So the main bend in the supports faces outward. How weird!
        THat's
        > > what I thought I remembered but it was so uncomfortable to wear I
        > > thought it must be wrong. I hiked with them concaved for about 3
        hours
        > > on Sat. and it felt fine. I guess I better switch it around so
        my
        > > tesing isn't off.
        > >
        > > thanks
        > > jamie d
        > >
        > > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "George G"
        <griffin42@t...>
        > > wrote:
        > >

        > > > Short part at the bottom and convex. :)
        > > >
        > > > Geo
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 3, 2005
          Yeah I thought that was very helpfull for the pack to come iwht the
          stays already in place and I even told myslef to make a mental note
          of how they looked when I took them out but I guess I was ignoring
          myself!! In reality I did remember the right way but after I tried
          it on with them in place it felt so uncomfortable I assumed, not
          trusting my memory, that I put them in backwards. I'll have to
          change them back and try it on again. A small note on the hangtag or
          shipping directions about the right way would be nice. I'm going to
          mention that in my FR.

          jamie

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, ken bennett
          <bennettk@w...> wrote:

          > If it's not comfortable, it may not be right. When I got my
          Starlite pack,
          > it came with the optional stays. I put them in (they could only go
          in one
          > direction over the pad pocket), but I couldn't figure out how they
          anchored
          > at the top. I was doing it wrong for a couple of months until I
          asked Ron
          > Moak about it. (He said now he sends the packs out with the stays
          > installed.)
          >
          > You might give him a call or email. I think a lot of customers
          (like me)
          > might take the stays out and not be able to get them back in
          properly.

          > Ken B
        • Coy
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 4, 2005
            Once you get them in right:') you can bend them to better fit your
            back...well if they are metal. Carbon fiber would not remember.
            This is a normal practice with backpacks so it would not be a gear
            alteration presay. You can bend them inside the sleeve so your not
            fighting them back in every time you bend them a little. just go
            slow. you want the bend of the stay(s) to match your backs
            profile. this profile would be while leaning forward slightly like
            when hiking with the pack, not your standing posture. I did this on
            my Camp Trails Lobo. it does help.

            wrote:
            > Thanks Coy. I guess my having to ask shows my inexperience with
            > frame optional packs. But I'm learning. :)
            >
            > have a wonderful 4th
            > jamie d
            >
            > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > most pack staves are shapes like this. pretend you are facing
            left
            > > looking at the screen. your back will be on the right. the top
            of
            > > the pack stave(s) will bend this way over your shoulders. \ then
            > going
            > > down your back it/they will bend this way. / then lowest of all
            > > it/they will bend back the other way away from your hip like
            this. \

            > > Coy Boy
            > >
            > > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa"
            <jdeben@h...>
            > wrote:
            > > > So the main bend in the supports faces outward. How weird!
            > THat's
            > > > what I thought I remembered but it was so uncomfortable to
            wear I
            > > > thought it must be wrong. I hiked with them concaved for about
            3
            > hours
            > > > on Sat. and it felt fine. I guess I better switch it around
            so
            > my
            > > > tesing isn't off.
            > > >
            > > > thanks
            > > > jamie d
            > > >
            > > > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "George G"
            > <griffin42@t...>

          • chcoa
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 4, 2005
              Thank Coy. Ron with SixMoon pm'ed me and mentioned the bending for
              better fit option too. I'll have to check that out.

              jamie

              wrote:
              > Once you get them in right:') you can bend them to better fit your
              > back...well if they are metal. Carbon fiber would not remember.
              > This is a normal practice with backpacks so it would not be a gear
              > alteration presay. You can bend them inside the sleeve so your not
              > fighting them back in every time you bend them a little. just go
              > slow. you want the bend of the stay(s) to match your backs
              > profile. this profile would be while leaning forward slightly like
              > when hiking with the pack, not your standing posture. I did this
              on
              > my Camp Trails Lobo. it does help.
              >
              > Coy Boy
              >

              > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...>
              > wrote:
              > > Thanks Coy. I guess my having to ask shows my inexperience with
              > > frame optional packs. But I'm learning. :)
              > >
              > > have a wonderful 4th
              > > jamie d
              > >
              > > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Coy"
              <starnescr@y...>
              > > wrote:
              > > > most pack staves are shapes like this. pretend you are facing
              > left
              > > > looking at the screen. your back will be on the right. the
              top
              > of
              > > > the pack stave(s) will bend this way over your shoulders. \
              then
              > > going
              > > > down your back it/they will bend this way. / then lowest of all
              > > > it/they will bend back the other way away from your hip like
              > this. \
              > > >
              > > > Coy Boy
              > > >
              > > > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa"
              > <jdeben@h...>
              > > THat's
              > wear I
              > 3
              > > hours
              > so
              > > my

              > > <griffin42@t...>

            • George G
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 9, 2005
                <griffin42@t...> wrote:

                > Short part at the bottom and convex. :)
                >
                > Geo

                O.K I may have made a mistake on this. When the pack arrived I
                checked it to make sure everything was O.K. and looking at the stays
                they were in convex and I assumed that this was the correct way.
                For two weeks in Wales I was mainly using the pack as a large day-
                pack carrying around 10/15 lb (4/6 kg) and all seemed fine.

                I was leaving the next day for a 5 day backpacking trip when I
                answered Jamie d`s question and this was just a quick look at the
                pack before I left.

                My pack for the 5 days was 24 lb (11 kg) before food & water and I
                noticed that the pack wasn`t sitting to well, talk to my backpacking
                buddy and looking at his frame pack, we concluded that the stays
                were actually in wrong, after changing them to concave the pack sat
                much better.

                So to seems that concave is correct and not convex.

                On a different note; how long did it take for the testers to notice
                the pockets on the flaps over the top of the stays, for me it was 5
                weeks :( :)

                Geo

                George
              • chcoa
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 9, 2005
                  Hi George,

                  Ron M. from SixMoon Design's pm'ed me with the correct way just the
                  other day. I am glad you figured it out though becuase I was pretty
                  sure they were in the other way when they arrived too. I had a
                  horrible backpack trip with them in after receiving the pack in May
                  and I'm thinking this might have been part of the reason. I will
                  make sure to note this in my FR btw...

                  I noticed the little pockets when I took the stays out but failed to
                  remember them when I put the stay back in. This made them stick up
                  and I new that was not right so I started inspecting the strip they
                  fit into more closely and figured it out. Lesson learned here is to
                  pay more attention to the NEW pack when removing stays or other vital
                  parts....duh jamie.

                  <griffin42@t...> wrote:
                  > O.K I may have made a mistake on this. When the pack arrived I
                  > checked it to make sure everything was O.K. and looking at the
                  stays
                  > they were in convex and I assumed that this was the correct way.
                  > For two weeks in Wales I was mainly using the pack as a large day-
                  > pack carrying around 10/15 lb (4/6 kg) and all seemed fine.
                  >
                  > I was leaving the next day for a 5 day backpacking trip when I
                  > answered Jamie d`s question and this was just a quick look at the
                  > pack before I left.
                  >
                  > My pack for the 5 days was 24 lb (11 kg) before food & water and I
                  > noticed that the pack wasn`t sitting to well, talk to my
                  backpacking
                  > buddy and looking at his frame pack, we concluded that the stays
                  > were actually in wrong, after changing them to concave the pack sat
                  > much better.
                  >
                  > So to seems that concave is correct and not convex.
                  >
                  > On a different note; how long did it take for the testers to notice
                  > the pockets on the flaps over the top of the stays, for me it was 5
                  > weeks :( :)
                  >
                  > Geo
                  >
                  > George
                • Ron Moak
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 10, 2005
                    George,

                    > O.K I may have made a mistake on this. When the pack arrived I
                    > checked it to make sure everything was O.K. and looking at the
                    stays
                    > they were in convex and I assumed that this was the correct way.
                    > For two weeks in Wales I was mainly using the pack as a large day-
                    > pack carrying around 10/15 lb (4/6 kg) and all seemed fine.

                    My apologies, when we sent out some of the first Comet Packs, my
                    wife inserted the stays in backwards. I didn't think any of those
                    packs went to any of you gear testers. She's been instructed on the
                    correct method of insertion and all packs are correctly setup when
                    shipped.

                    Documenting the little pockets at the top of the stays would be
                    nice, however it's not clear that putting it on the hang tag would
                    be all that useful. Most people discard that within a few minutes of
                    getting the pack. I'll try and get it up on the Website in the FAQ
                    at sometime.

                    If there are any questions, please don't hesitate to call or email
                    me.

                    Thanks,
                    Ron