Re: Attn. fellow Comet backpack testers....

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 3, 2005
      most pack staves are shapes like this. pretend you are facing left
      looking at the screen. your back will be on the right. the top of
      the pack stave(s) will bend this way over your shoulders. \ then going
      down your back it/they will bend this way. / then lowest of all
      it/they will bend back the other way away from your hip like this. \

      Coy Boy

      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...> wrote:
      > So the main bend in the supports faces outward. How weird! THat's
      > what I thought I remembered but it was so uncomfortable to wear I
      > thought it must be wrong. I hiked with them concaved for about 3 hours
      > on Sat. and it felt fine. I guess I better switch it around so my
      > tesing isn't off.
      >
      > thanks
      > jamie d
      >
      > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "George G" <griffin42@t...>
      > wrote:
      >

      > > Short part at the bottom and convex. :)
      > >
      > > Geo
    • ken bennett
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 3, 2005
        On 7/3/05 9:32 PM, "chcoa" <jdeben@...> wrote:

        > So the main bend in the supports faces outward. How weird! THat's
        > what I thought I remembered but it was so uncomfortable to wear I
        > thought it must be wrong. I hiked with them concaved for about 3 hours
        > on Sat. and it felt fine. I guess I better switch it around so my
        > tesing isn't off.

        If it's not comfortable, it may not be right. When I got my Starlite pack,
        it came with the optional stays. I put them in (they could only go in one
        direction over the pad pocket), but I couldn't figure out how they anchored
        at the top. I was doing it wrong for a couple of months until I asked Ron
        Moak about it. (He said now he sends the packs out with the stays
        installed.)

        You might give him a call or email. I think a lot of customers (like me)
        might take the stays out and not be able to get them back in properly.

        Ken B
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 3, 2005
          Thanks Coy. I guess my having to ask shows my inexperience with
          frame optional packs. But I'm learning. :)

          have a wonderful 4th
          jamie d

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@y...>
          wrote:
          > most pack staves are shapes like this. pretend you are facing left
          > looking at the screen. your back will be on the right. the top of
          > the pack stave(s) will bend this way over your shoulders. \ then
          going
          > down your back it/they will bend this way. / then lowest of all
          > it/they will bend back the other way away from your hip like this. \
          >
          > Coy Boy
          >
          > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...>
          wrote:
          > > So the main bend in the supports faces outward. How weird!
          THat's
          > > what I thought I remembered but it was so uncomfortable to wear I
          > > thought it must be wrong. I hiked with them concaved for about 3
          hours
          > > on Sat. and it felt fine. I guess I better switch it around so
          my
          > > tesing isn't off.
          > >
          > > thanks
          > > jamie d
          > >
          > > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "George G"
          <griffin42@t...>
          > > wrote:
          > >

          > > > Short part at the bottom and convex. :)
          > > >
          > > > Geo
        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 3, 2005
            Yeah I thought that was very helpfull for the pack to come iwht the
            stays already in place and I even told myslef to make a mental note
            of how they looked when I took them out but I guess I was ignoring
            myself!! In reality I did remember the right way but after I tried
            it on with them in place it felt so uncomfortable I assumed, not
            trusting my memory, that I put them in backwards. I'll have to
            change them back and try it on again. A small note on the hangtag or
            shipping directions about the right way would be nice. I'm going to
            mention that in my FR.

            jamie

            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, ken bennett
            <bennettk@w...> wrote:

            > If it's not comfortable, it may not be right. When I got my
            Starlite pack,
            > it came with the optional stays. I put them in (they could only go
            in one
            > direction over the pad pocket), but I couldn't figure out how they
            anchored
            > at the top. I was doing it wrong for a couple of months until I
            asked Ron
            > Moak about it. (He said now he sends the packs out with the stays
            > installed.)
            >
            > You might give him a call or email. I think a lot of customers
            (like me)
            > might take the stays out and not be able to get them back in
            properly.

            > Ken B
          • Coy
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 4, 2005
              Once you get them in right:') you can bend them to better fit your
              back...well if they are metal. Carbon fiber would not remember.
              This is a normal practice with backpacks so it would not be a gear
              alteration presay. You can bend them inside the sleeve so your not
              fighting them back in every time you bend them a little. just go
              slow. you want the bend of the stay(s) to match your backs
              profile. this profile would be while leaning forward slightly like
              when hiking with the pack, not your standing posture. I did this on
              my Camp Trails Lobo. it does help.

              wrote:
              > Thanks Coy. I guess my having to ask shows my inexperience with
              > frame optional packs. But I'm learning. :)
              >
              > have a wonderful 4th
              > jamie d
              >
              > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > most pack staves are shapes like this. pretend you are facing
              left
              > > looking at the screen. your back will be on the right. the top
              of
              > > the pack stave(s) will bend this way over your shoulders. \ then
              > going
              > > down your back it/they will bend this way. / then lowest of all
              > > it/they will bend back the other way away from your hip like
              this. \

              > > Coy Boy
              > >
              > > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa"
              <jdeben@h...>
              > wrote:
              > > > So the main bend in the supports faces outward. How weird!
              > THat's
              > > > what I thought I remembered but it was so uncomfortable to
              wear I
              > > > thought it must be wrong. I hiked with them concaved for about
              3
              > hours
              > > > on Sat. and it felt fine. I guess I better switch it around
              so
              > my
              > > > tesing isn't off.
              > > >
              > > > thanks
              > > > jamie d
              > > >
              > > > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "George G"
              > <griffin42@t...>

            • chcoa
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 4, 2005
                Thank Coy. Ron with SixMoon pm'ed me and mentioned the bending for
                better fit option too. I'll have to check that out.

                jamie

                wrote:
                > Once you get them in right:') you can bend them to better fit your
                > back...well if they are metal. Carbon fiber would not remember.
                > This is a normal practice with backpacks so it would not be a gear
                > alteration presay. You can bend them inside the sleeve so your not
                > fighting them back in every time you bend them a little. just go
                > slow. you want the bend of the stay(s) to match your backs
                > profile. this profile would be while leaning forward slightly like
                > when hiking with the pack, not your standing posture. I did this
                on
                > my Camp Trails Lobo. it does help.
                >
                > Coy Boy
                >

                > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...>
                > wrote:
                > > Thanks Coy. I guess my having to ask shows my inexperience with
                > > frame optional packs. But I'm learning. :)
                > >
                > > have a wonderful 4th
                > > jamie d
                > >
                > > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Coy"
                <starnescr@y...>
                > > wrote:
                > > > most pack staves are shapes like this. pretend you are facing
                > left
                > > > looking at the screen. your back will be on the right. the
                top
                > of
                > > > the pack stave(s) will bend this way over your shoulders. \
                then
                > > going
                > > > down your back it/they will bend this way. / then lowest of all
                > > > it/they will bend back the other way away from your hip like
                > this. \
                > > >
                > > > Coy Boy
                > > >
                > > > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa"
                > <jdeben@h...>
                > > THat's
                > wear I
                > 3
                > > hours
                > so
                > > my

                > > <griffin42@t...>

              • George G
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 9, 2005
                  <griffin42@t...> wrote:

                  > Short part at the bottom and convex. :)
                  >
                  > Geo

                  O.K I may have made a mistake on this. When the pack arrived I
                  checked it to make sure everything was O.K. and looking at the stays
                  they were in convex and I assumed that this was the correct way.
                  For two weeks in Wales I was mainly using the pack as a large day-
                  pack carrying around 10/15 lb (4/6 kg) and all seemed fine.

                  I was leaving the next day for a 5 day backpacking trip when I
                  answered Jamie d`s question and this was just a quick look at the
                  pack before I left.

                  My pack for the 5 days was 24 lb (11 kg) before food & water and I
                  noticed that the pack wasn`t sitting to well, talk to my backpacking
                  buddy and looking at his frame pack, we concluded that the stays
                  were actually in wrong, after changing them to concave the pack sat
                  much better.

                  So to seems that concave is correct and not convex.

                  On a different note; how long did it take for the testers to notice
                  the pockets on the flaps over the top of the stays, for me it was 5
                  weeks :( :)

                  Geo

                  George
                • chcoa
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 9, 2005
                    Hi George,

                    Ron M. from SixMoon Design's pm'ed me with the correct way just the
                    other day. I am glad you figured it out though becuase I was pretty
                    sure they were in the other way when they arrived too. I had a
                    horrible backpack trip with them in after receiving the pack in May
                    and I'm thinking this might have been part of the reason. I will
                    make sure to note this in my FR btw...

                    I noticed the little pockets when I took the stays out but failed to
                    remember them when I put the stay back in. This made them stick up
                    and I new that was not right so I started inspecting the strip they
                    fit into more closely and figured it out. Lesson learned here is to
                    pay more attention to the NEW pack when removing stays or other vital
                    parts....duh jamie.

                    <griffin42@t...> wrote:
                    > O.K I may have made a mistake on this. When the pack arrived I
                    > checked it to make sure everything was O.K. and looking at the
                    stays
                    > they were in convex and I assumed that this was the correct way.
                    > For two weeks in Wales I was mainly using the pack as a large day-
                    > pack carrying around 10/15 lb (4/6 kg) and all seemed fine.
                    >
                    > I was leaving the next day for a 5 day backpacking trip when I
                    > answered Jamie d`s question and this was just a quick look at the
                    > pack before I left.
                    >
                    > My pack for the 5 days was 24 lb (11 kg) before food & water and I
                    > noticed that the pack wasn`t sitting to well, talk to my
                    backpacking
                    > buddy and looking at his frame pack, we concluded that the stays
                    > were actually in wrong, after changing them to concave the pack sat
                    > much better.
                    >
                    > So to seems that concave is correct and not convex.
                    >
                    > On a different note; how long did it take for the testers to notice
                    > the pockets on the flaps over the top of the stays, for me it was 5
                    > weeks :( :)
                    >
                    > Geo
                    >
                    > George
                  • Ron Moak
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 10, 2005
                      George,

                      > O.K I may have made a mistake on this. When the pack arrived I
                      > checked it to make sure everything was O.K. and looking at the
                      stays
                      > they were in convex and I assumed that this was the correct way.
                      > For two weeks in Wales I was mainly using the pack as a large day-
                      > pack carrying around 10/15 lb (4/6 kg) and all seemed fine.

                      My apologies, when we sent out some of the first Comet Packs, my
                      wife inserted the stays in backwards. I didn't think any of those
                      packs went to any of you gear testers. She's been instructed on the
                      correct method of insertion and all packs are correctly setup when
                      shipped.

                      Documenting the little pockets at the top of the stays would be
                      nice, however it's not clear that putting it on the hang tag would
                      be all that useful. Most people discard that within a few minutes of
                      getting the pack. I'll try and get it up on the Website in the FAQ
                      at sometime.

                      If there are any questions, please don't hesitate to call or email
                      me.

                      Thanks,
                      Ron