Ibex Approach Tights FR (Cora)

  • Cora
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
      Hi Chuck,

      Sorry for the delay on this one.
      The html is in test > TESTS under Ibex Approach Tights...
      One additional note is that I know that the link to the IR
      does not work. I'm uploading via a half-mounted usb key
      and don't want to mess with editing right now. I'll fix it
      for the final version, I promise. ;)
      DSL is still not up for me, but at least sneaker net always
      works. I hope you are doing well, and thank you in advance
      for your editing help.
      Cora

      Ibex Approach Tights

      Field Report

      Reviewer Information
      Name: Cora Shea Background: I began backpacking in 1997.
      I love backpacking in spring and winter snow more than
      anything, especially on skis. My pack weight ranges from 15
      to 90 lb (7 to 40 kg), and I vary sleeping in a tarp, tent,
      quinzhee, snowcave, bolt-hole, bivy, people-pile, or
      straight under the stars. I spend a lot of my time
      outdoors, and I prioritize gear durability and
      functionality above weight.
      Age: 24
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)
      Weight: 150 lb (70 kg)
      Email address: cahhmc at yahoo dot com
      Location: Los Angeles, California, USA
      Date: June 20, 2005

      Basic Product Information
      Manufacturer: Ibex, ($95 US) Year of Manufacture: 2005
      Product: Approach Tights (Midlayer)
      Listed weight: 12.4 oz (352 g) Weight as delivered: 12.8
      oz (363 g) Size: Women's Medium

      The Approach Tights are black, woolly, form-fitting tights.
      They have an elastic waistband and drawcord, a folding mesh
      pocket on the waist for storing small items, and clean
      cuffs which are designed to be worn inside boots.

      This field report covers field use from March to June,
      2005. For more information on appearance and other items
      which can be commented on without testing, please see my
      Initial Report.

      Field Conditions

      I've used the Approach Tights on about twenty field days
      since my Initial report, if only to sleep in at night on
      some field days. If you've come here from reading my
      Initial Report, you probably have guessed that I loved
      these tights from the first day I skiied in them. Today,
      not much has changed.

      Winter Use: (10 days total) Skiing and Mountaineering in
      the Sierras, California
      Weather: Cold (-5 to 65 F / -20 to 18 C) with some
      snow, hail, and wind
      Elevation: 8000 ft to 11,000 ft (2500 to 3400 m)
      Terrain: Snowy and mountainous

      Use: I wore these tights under my bibs and inside my
      ski boots for many days of skiing in the backcountry. The
      bibs came off at night, the tights didn't. Basically, this
      amounted to a week-plus of living in these tights.

      Brief Comments: Simply said, the tights are amazing. We
      had a cold and snowy winter this year in the Sierra, and as
      a multipurpose underlayer in cold weather, I've not
      experienced an equal to these tights. I felt that I just
      could not sweat enough to get the tights wet, and whenever
      I zipped up against the wind, the tights were always ready
      to be toasty warm the instant I covered them with my shell.
      Wow.

      Spring Use: (6 days total) Mountaineering in the Sierras
      and San Bernardinos, California
      Weather: Cool (15 to 65 F / -10 to 18 C) with some wind
      and snow
      Elevation: 8000 ft to 11,000 ft (2500 to 3400 m)
      Terrain: Snowy and mountainous

      Use: These days mostly involved short trips where I'd
      hike in late at night, and then have a very aerobically
      challenging day the next day. Again, the tights stayed on
      the whole time, but were shoved in mountaineering boots
      instead of ski boots and were worn for much shorter periods
      each time.

      Brief Comments: On these trips, I got less frustrated
      with the small difficulties of the tights (such as
      re-adjusting the high waist under my bibs after a bathroom
      break) but also was not able to appreciate their great
      attributes (no stink over long trips, great fit in ski
      boots) as much because of the shorter style of the trips.
      Overall, the tights worked well but seemed much more
      spectacular on the longer winter trips.

      Nighttime-Only Use: (4 days total) Los Angeles, California
      Weather: Mild (30 to 75 F / -1 to 24 C) with some wind
      and rain
      Elevation: 8000 ft to 11,000 ft (2500 to 3400 m)
      Terrain: Snowy and mountainous (still!)

      Use: These are the days where I carried the tights
      during the day because it was too warm to wear them, and
      slept in them at night. They served as a warmer layer at
      night, like fleece pants.

      Brief Comments: When compared to long underwear, the
      tights are much more bulky, and when compared to fleece
      pants, the tights are lighter and more compact. However, I
      did miss some advantages of fleece pants, such as side zips
      to put them on without having to strip. Plus, the tights
      weigh nearly as much as my insulated pants, without having
      the same insulative value. So, I liked wearing the tights
      much better than carrying them, because when wearing them
      their superior wicking and aerobically-insulating value
      came out.

      Field Use Opinions

      Fit:
      I love the fit of these tights. When worn alone, I've done
      lots of lounging, stretching, relaxing, and other
      activities that I can do only in a set of pants that I feel
      completely comfortable in.

      When worn under bibs, the fit gets somewhat complicated
      because of the high waist. My bibs have a drop-away seat,
      which allows womanly relief when any type of long underwear
      is used (not just those types with a thru-zip), but since
      the waist of the Approach Tights sit well above my belly
      button, it is quite a job to wiggle the waist back up where
      it belongs under the bibs after every potty break. Thin
      shirts tuck really well into the tights (again, more easily
      without bibs) and the tights layer easily under all my
      shells and stay put.

      Even beyond the great body fit, however, is the great ankle
      fit. I appreciated this good fit the most when skiing on my
      winter trips. I wear pretty tight ski boots (tight enough
      that the thread lines of my socks actually leave imprints
      in my shins) and the tights are pretty much the most
      comfortable inside-ski-boot layer I've worn. They're even
      more comfortable than my thinnest long underwear. This
      benefit became less obvious as I switched to my looser and
      lower-ankled mountaineering boots in the spring, but these
      have become my favorite skiing layer just for the ankle
      cuffs alone.

      Comfort:
      These tights are very comfortable on me. They conform well,
      and stretch beyond my limit of flexibility. Also, even
      though the fabric is not necessarily soft, it is certainly
      nice-feeling on my skin. I've worn the tights directly on
      my skin for days on end with no adverse affects (even with
      long underwear I sometimes get some skin irritation from a
      sweat and fabric wear combination).

      The tights feel best when they are worn as intended - with
      the waist pulled high and the ankle cuffs lying right at my
      ankles. When the waist is at my waist, the crotch sags
      akwardly and although I can pull the ankle cuffs up, they
      aren't very comfortable up there because the tights then
      bunch around my thighs. Thus, the tights don't have many
      venting options. Which is fine, because they have such a
      wide comfortable temperature range (from very cold when
      under layers to about 50 F or 10 C when worn alone and I'm
      working aerobically).

      Warmth:
      These tights are quite warm. They are as warm as my warmest
      expedition-weight long underwear, but not as warm as my
      fleece pants. The best part of these tights is that they've
      never felt clammy even once. I've felt clammy with even
      light long underwear under shells at times, and I've
      certainly felt clammy when doing anything aerobic with
      fleece pants. Thus, I'd say that their wicking ability is
      certainly their strongest point, and helps the tights
      actually be warm when I need them to be. The tights stay
      dry and warm with any amount of sweat I've poured into
      them.

      Weather Resistance:
      This is the tradeoff for exceptional wicking ability, but
      not by much. The tights are not very wind resistant at all
      (not that they were advertised to be) nor are they water
      resistant. When new, water spray would bead up on the
      outside, but after a week of use, the fabric just got damp
      when snow melted on it. Additionally, dry powder sticks to
      the outside of the tights, so I preferred to layer the
      tights under shells for the majority of the test so far.
      And, with their great wicking, they perform so much better
      under shells than alone that I find no reason to wear them
      alone in bad weather.
      Summary

      Overall, the Approach Tights have been excellent. They are
      quite warm and thus not well suited for warmer weather
      activity, but in cold weather I have found them to be the
      ideal everything-layer. When windy, I need a shell over
      them to stay warm, and dry snow tends to stick to the
      outside, but besides that the tights wick like nothing else
      and are always warm for me.

      Likes Dislikes
      A Great fit Not very wind resistant
      Wool stays dry and warm like magic! Hard to pull high
      waist up under bibs
      Ankle cuffs are comfy in ski boots No easy cinch on the
      waist string
    • Chuck Carnes
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2005
        Everything looked good to me. Great report Cora! No
        edits. And when you get your 'Initial Report' thing
        worked out you may upload when ready.

        Chuck Carnes

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Cora
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2005
          Thanks Chuck.

          I'm back for an hour (yes an hour) right now, but I'll be
          back out of the field again on Tuesday, July 12. I'll
          upload then, or late Monday night hopefully.
          Have a great day.
          Cora