Attn. fellow Comet backpack testers....

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2005
      I need some help. I took out the metal frame stays about 4 weeks ago
      to see how the pack performed without them and now I'm not sure I
      remember how they are supposed to go back in. Could not find any info.
      on this. I know the short bent part goes at the bottom near the hip
      belt but I can't remember if they are supposed to be concave or convex
      along my back.

      My thanks in advance.
      jamie d
    • George G
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2005
        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...>
        wrote:
        > I need some help. I took out the metal frame stays about 4 weeks
        ago
        > to see how the pack performed without them and now I'm not sure I
        > remember how they are supposed to go back in. Could not find any
        info.
        > on this. I know the short bent part goes at the bottom near the hip
        > belt but I can't remember if they are supposed to be concave or
        convex
        > along my back.
        >
        > My thanks in advance.
        > jamie d

        Short part at the bottom and convex. :)

        Geo
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 3, 2005
          So the main bend in the supports faces outward. How weird! THat's
          what I thought I remembered but it was so uncomfortable to wear I
          thought it must be wrong. I hiked with them concaved for about 3 hours
          on Sat. and it felt fine. I guess I better switch it around so my
          tesing isn't off.

          thanks
          jamie d

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "George G" <griffin42@t...>
          wrote:

          > Short part at the bottom and convex. :)
          >
          > Geo
        • Coy
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 3, 2005
            most pack staves are shapes like this. pretend you are facing left
            looking at the screen. your back will be on the right. the top of
            the pack stave(s) will bend this way over your shoulders. \ then going
            down your back it/they will bend this way. / then lowest of all
            it/they will bend back the other way away from your hip like this. \

            Coy Boy

            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...> wrote:
            > So the main bend in the supports faces outward. How weird! THat's
            > what I thought I remembered but it was so uncomfortable to wear I
            > thought it must be wrong. I hiked with them concaved for about 3 hours
            > on Sat. and it felt fine. I guess I better switch it around so my
            > tesing isn't off.
            >
            > thanks
            > jamie d
            >
            > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "George G" <griffin42@t...>
            > wrote:
            >

            > > Short part at the bottom and convex. :)
            > >
            > > Geo
          • ken bennett
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 3, 2005
              On 7/3/05 9:32 PM, "chcoa" <jdeben@...> wrote:

              > So the main bend in the supports faces outward. How weird! THat's
              > what I thought I remembered but it was so uncomfortable to wear I
              > thought it must be wrong. I hiked with them concaved for about 3 hours
              > on Sat. and it felt fine. I guess I better switch it around so my
              > tesing isn't off.

              If it's not comfortable, it may not be right. When I got my Starlite pack,
              it came with the optional stays. I put them in (they could only go in one
              direction over the pad pocket), but I couldn't figure out how they anchored
              at the top. I was doing it wrong for a couple of months until I asked Ron
              Moak about it. (He said now he sends the packs out with the stays
              installed.)

              You might give him a call or email. I think a lot of customers (like me)
              might take the stays out and not be able to get them back in properly.

              Ken B
            • chcoa
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 3, 2005
                Thanks Coy. I guess my having to ask shows my inexperience with
                frame optional packs. But I'm learning. :)

                have a wonderful 4th
                jamie d

                --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@y...>
                wrote:
                > most pack staves are shapes like this. pretend you are facing left
                > looking at the screen. your back will be on the right. the top of
                > the pack stave(s) will bend this way over your shoulders. \ then
                going
                > down your back it/they will bend this way. / then lowest of all
                > it/they will bend back the other way away from your hip like this. \
                >
                > Coy Boy
                >
                > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...>
                wrote:
                > > So the main bend in the supports faces outward. How weird!
                THat's
                > > what I thought I remembered but it was so uncomfortable to wear I
                > > thought it must be wrong. I hiked with them concaved for about 3
                hours
                > > on Sat. and it felt fine. I guess I better switch it around so
                my
                > > tesing isn't off.
                > >
                > > thanks
                > > jamie d
                > >
                > > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "George G"
                <griffin42@t...>
                > > wrote:
                > >

                > > > Short part at the bottom and convex. :)
                > > >
                > > > Geo
              • chcoa
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 3, 2005
                  Yeah I thought that was very helpfull for the pack to come iwht the
                  stays already in place and I even told myslef to make a mental note
                  of how they looked when I took them out but I guess I was ignoring
                  myself!! In reality I did remember the right way but after I tried
                  it on with them in place it felt so uncomfortable I assumed, not
                  trusting my memory, that I put them in backwards. I'll have to
                  change them back and try it on again. A small note on the hangtag or
                  shipping directions about the right way would be nice. I'm going to
                  mention that in my FR.

                  jamie

                  --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, ken bennett
                  <bennettk@w...> wrote:

                  > If it's not comfortable, it may not be right. When I got my
                  Starlite pack,
                  > it came with the optional stays. I put them in (they could only go
                  in one
                  > direction over the pad pocket), but I couldn't figure out how they
                  anchored
                  > at the top. I was doing it wrong for a couple of months until I
                  asked Ron
                  > Moak about it. (He said now he sends the packs out with the stays
                  > installed.)
                  >
                  > You might give him a call or email. I think a lot of customers
                  (like me)
                  > might take the stays out and not be able to get them back in
                  properly.

                  > Ken B
                • Coy
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 4, 2005
                    Once you get them in right:') you can bend them to better fit your
                    back...well if they are metal. Carbon fiber would not remember.
                    This is a normal practice with backpacks so it would not be a gear
                    alteration presay. You can bend them inside the sleeve so your not
                    fighting them back in every time you bend them a little. just go
                    slow. you want the bend of the stay(s) to match your backs
                    profile. this profile would be while leaning forward slightly like
                    when hiking with the pack, not your standing posture. I did this on
                    my Camp Trails Lobo. it does help.

                    Coy Boy

                    wrote:
                    > Thanks Coy. I guess my having to ask shows my inexperience with
                    > frame optional packs. But I'm learning. :)
                    >
                    > have a wonderful 4th
                    > jamie d
                    >
                    > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > most pack staves are shapes like this. pretend you are facing
                    left
                    > > looking at the screen. your back will be on the right. the top
                    of
                    > > the pack stave(s) will bend this way over your shoulders. \ then
                    > going
                    > > down your back it/they will bend this way. / then lowest of all
                    > > it/they will bend back the other way away from your hip like
                    this. \

                    > > Coy Boy
                    > >
                    > > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa"
                    <jdeben@h...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > > So the main bend in the supports faces outward. How weird!
                    > THat's
                    > > > what I thought I remembered but it was so uncomfortable to
                    wear I
                    > > > thought it must be wrong. I hiked with them concaved for about
                    3
                    > hours
                    > > > on Sat. and it felt fine. I guess I better switch it around
                    so
                    > my
                    > > > tesing isn't off.
                    > > >
                    > > > thanks
                    > > > jamie d
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "George G"
                    > <griffin42@t...>

                  • chcoa
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 4, 2005
                      Thank Coy. Ron with SixMoon pm'ed me and mentioned the bending for
                      better fit option too. I'll have to check that out.

                      jamie

                      wrote:
                      > Once you get them in right:') you can bend them to better fit your
                      > back...well if they are metal. Carbon fiber would not remember.
                      > This is a normal practice with backpacks so it would not be a gear
                      > alteration presay. You can bend them inside the sleeve so your not
                      > fighting them back in every time you bend them a little. just go
                      > slow. you want the bend of the stay(s) to match your backs
                      > profile. this profile would be while leaning forward slightly like
                      > when hiking with the pack, not your standing posture. I did this
                      on
                      > my Camp Trails Lobo. it does help.
                      >
                      > Coy Boy
                      >

                      > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > Thanks Coy. I guess my having to ask shows my inexperience with
                      > > frame optional packs. But I'm learning. :)
                      > >
                      > > have a wonderful 4th
                      > > jamie d
                      > >
                      > > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Coy"
                      <starnescr@y...>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > > most pack staves are shapes like this. pretend you are facing
                      > left
                      > > > looking at the screen. your back will be on the right. the
                      top
                      > of
                      > > > the pack stave(s) will bend this way over your shoulders. \
                      then
                      > > going
                      > > > down your back it/they will bend this way. / then lowest of all
                      > > > it/they will bend back the other way away from your hip like
                      > this. \
                      > > >
                      > > > Coy Boy
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa"
                      > <jdeben@h...>
                      > > THat's
                      > wear I
                      > 3
                      > > hours
                      > so
                      > > my

                      > > <griffin42@t...>

                    • George G
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 9, 2005
                        <griffin42@t...> wrote:

                        > Short part at the bottom and convex. :)
                        >
                        > Geo

                        O.K I may have made a mistake on this. When the pack arrived I
                        checked it to make sure everything was O.K. and looking at the stays
                        they were in convex and I assumed that this was the correct way.
                        For two weeks in Wales I was mainly using the pack as a large day-
                        pack carrying around 10/15 lb (4/6 kg) and all seemed fine.

                        I was leaving the next day for a 5 day backpacking trip when I
                        answered Jamie d`s question and this was just a quick look at the
                        pack before I left.

                        My pack for the 5 days was 24 lb (11 kg) before food & water and I
                        noticed that the pack wasn`t sitting to well, talk to my backpacking
                        buddy and looking at his frame pack, we concluded that the stays
                        were actually in wrong, after changing them to concave the pack sat
                        much better.

                        So to seems that concave is correct and not convex.

                        On a different note; how long did it take for the testers to notice
                        the pockets on the flaps over the top of the stays, for me it was 5
                        weeks :( :)

                        Geo

                        George
                      • chcoa
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 9, 2005
                          Hi George,

                          Ron M. from SixMoon Design's pm'ed me with the correct way just the
                          other day. I am glad you figured it out though becuase I was pretty
                          sure they were in the other way when they arrived too. I had a
                          horrible backpack trip with them in after receiving the pack in May
                          and I'm thinking this might have been part of the reason. I will
                          make sure to note this in my FR btw...

                          I noticed the little pockets when I took the stays out but failed to
                          remember them when I put the stay back in. This made them stick up
                          and I new that was not right so I started inspecting the strip they
                          fit into more closely and figured it out. Lesson learned here is to
                          pay more attention to the NEW pack when removing stays or other vital
                          parts....duh jamie.

                          <griffin42@t...> wrote:
                          > O.K I may have made a mistake on this. When the pack arrived I
                          > checked it to make sure everything was O.K. and looking at the
                          stays
                          > they were in convex and I assumed that this was the correct way.
                          > For two weeks in Wales I was mainly using the pack as a large day-
                          > pack carrying around 10/15 lb (4/6 kg) and all seemed fine.
                          >
                          > I was leaving the next day for a 5 day backpacking trip when I
                          > answered Jamie d`s question and this was just a quick look at the
                          > pack before I left.
                          >
                          > My pack for the 5 days was 24 lb (11 kg) before food & water and I
                          > noticed that the pack wasn`t sitting to well, talk to my
                          backpacking
                          > buddy and looking at his frame pack, we concluded that the stays
                          > were actually in wrong, after changing them to concave the pack sat
                          > much better.
                          >
                          > So to seems that concave is correct and not convex.
                          >
                          > On a different note; how long did it take for the testers to notice
                          > the pockets on the flaps over the top of the stays, for me it was 5
                          > weeks :( :)
                          >
                          > Geo
                          >
                          > George
                        • Ron Moak
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 10, 2005
                            George,

                            > O.K I may have made a mistake on this. When the pack arrived I
                            > checked it to make sure everything was O.K. and looking at the
                            stays
                            > they were in convex and I assumed that this was the correct way.
                            > For two weeks in Wales I was mainly using the pack as a large day-
                            > pack carrying around 10/15 lb (4/6 kg) and all seemed fine.

                            My apologies, when we sent out some of the first Comet Packs, my
                            wife inserted the stays in backwards. I didn't think any of those
                            packs went to any of you gear testers. She's been instructed on the
                            correct method of insertion and all packs are correctly setup when
                            shipped.

                            Documenting the little pockets at the top of the stays would be
                            nice, however it's not clear that putting it on the hang tag would
                            be all that useful. Most people discard that within a few minutes of
                            getting the pack. I'll try and get it up on the Website in the FAQ
                            at sometime.

                            If there are any questions, please don't hesitate to call or email
                            me.

                            Thanks,
                            Ron