LTR - Princeton Tec EOS Headlamp - Chuck Carnes

  • Chuck Carnes
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
      Here is the html version. Thank you in advance for any
      edits.

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR-PTEOS-CC/

      Princeton Tec EOS Headlamp
      Long Term Report
      Full EOS

      Biographical Information

      Name: Chuck Carnes
      Age: 35
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)
      Weight: 175 lb (79 kg)

      E-mail address: ctcarnes1(at)yahoo(dot)com

      City, State, Country: Greenville, S.C. United States

      Report Date: July 1, 2005

      Backpacking Background

      I love the outdoors – I’ve spent time camping in
      the outdoors since I was born, and have been actively
      hiking and backpacking for the past ten years. I
      consider myself a lightweight hiker, usually carrying
      20 – 30 pounds (11-13 kg) for hikes up to a week in
      length. I hike at an easy pace, averaging 2 mph (3
      kph). I am a one-man tent camper for now until a
      lighter two-man tent comes along and will give me more
      room. I like to carry a single trekking pole when I
      hike to help relieve stress to my legs and knees. I
      like to get out on the trail as often as I can.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Princeton Tec
      Model: EOS
      Year of Manufacture: 2004
      Listed Weight: 3.7 oz (105 g)
      Weight as Delivered: 3.8 oz (108 g)
      Bulb type: 1 L.E.D. (1 Watt Luxeon)
      MSRP: $38.99

      Weight and Dimensions of Light

      Width: 2.4 in (61 mm)
      Height: 1.7 in (43 mm)
      Thickness: 1.6 in (40 mm)
      Mfg. weight: 3.7 oz (105 gm)
      Actual weight: 3.6 oz (102 gm)

      Long Term Report and Field Information

      I really have enjoyed testing the
      Princeton Tec EOS headlamp. It has come in handy
      during the times when I needed light without have to
      hold a flashlight. It has become one of my favorite
      pieces of gear and I can't imagine going hiking or
      backpacking without it.It has held up to much abuse
      and continues to work the way it was intended to.

      The trips I took since my Field Report
      were one and two nights to a local park that my son
      and I and sometimes a friend and I like to visit. It's
      close enough to go quit often and it gets me out with
      nature. The temperatures on these trips ranged from 70
      F to 86 F (21 C to 30 C) at night. I experienced
      afternoon thunder showers and sometimes just a steady
      rain while using the headlamp. I did a few night hikes
      but mostly just walking around in the dark with my son
      so he could find night critters. During the heavy
      rains we stayed in the tent using the headlamp to play
      games and read books. I did some night hikes with my
      friend. some of time it was with the EOS and the other
      times was by the light of the moon.

      These are some questions that I had about
      the Princeton Tec EOS headlamp prior to my first use.
      I am now able to answer these. Answers that are in
      blue are from my Field Report and temperature and
      weather conditions are noted there. Answers in red are
      for my Long Term Report and temperature and weather
      conditions are noted above.

      The web site says that as long as the batteries have
      sufficient voltage, the light will remain at a
      constant brightness. Is the decrease in brightness
      quick and noticeable or is it very slow to give me
      time to change the batteries before I am sitting in
      the dark? At this point in the testing period, I have
      not experienced any dimness due to lack of sufficient
      voltage. I have now experienced the batteries going
      dead and I do see a decrease in brightness as the
      batteries start to die.

      How easy is it to change the bulb and batteries? I
      have not had to change the batteries or the bulb to
      this point. I have not had changed the bulb yet but
      the batteries are very easy to change.

      Do I need a tool to access the bulb and battery
      compartment? The EOS comes equiped with an extended
      flange on the slide adjustment that adjusts the size
      of the head band. This flange acts as a flat head
      screw driver to turn and open the battery compartment
      so that no extra tool is needed. I have found this to
      be very convieniant when I needed to change the
      batteries.

      Does it have an extra bulb? No If not, can I find
      one at most stores that carry bulbs or are they hard
      to find? I have not researched this since I have not
      needed one. This still holds true.

      With the simple design and construction of the
      headlamp, how compact can it get to be placed in a
      backpack or pocket? It is small enough to fit in ones
      pocket or small area in ones backpack. I have also
      placed it in a hip pouch on evening excursions and it
      really packs small and unnoticeable.

      Comfort, to me, is very important when it comes to
      headlamps. I usually wear a baseball cap while hiking
      or at camp. Can I wear the baseball cap and the light
      on the headband together? For me personally I can. The
      head band fits right under the band of the cap. I have
      also found this to be comfortable with the hat on.

      If a hat can be worn, does the brim of the hat affect
      the declination of the light beam? The brim of the hat
      does affect the light from being shown above ones
      head. As it was for me, this was not that important.
      When I have wanted to see what I couldn't see with the
      hat on I have simply removed the hat.

      I would also like to see if I am able to use one hand
      to operate the headlamp, such as turning it on and off
      and adjusting, while on the headband. The body of the
      headlamp is easy to adjust while on wearing it with
      one hand. However, tuning it on and off seemed to be a
      little difficult with gloves on but can still be done
      single handedly. I have gotten use to be able to
      adjust and turn the power on and off effectivly with
      one hand.

      Since the headband has no over-the-head strap, will
      the headlamp have a tendency to slide down during
      walks? I have found the headlamp to stay in the
      position that I place it when I put it on. I have not
      experienced any slippage or change of declination from
      the adjustments being loose. Even running a bit with
      the headlamp on, it seems to stay in the position that
      I set it.

      How comfortable is the headlamp on the forehead for an
      extended length of time? I must have the sizing just
      right because I have not experienced any discomfort on
      my forhead or anywhere else on my head. I did
      experience a little bit of discomfort that made me
      adjust the band a bit while wear it for three hours
      straight. The headlamps power was not on this whole
      time but it stayed positioned on my head.

      Does the headlamp feel front heavy or is it
      comfortable and light enough to not notice? The
      headlamp does not feel front heavy at all. It is very
      light and I do not notice it on my head most of the
      time. This still holds true.

      Waterproof tests will be performed in the field if
      cases of rain occur. If accidents of dropping the
      headlamp in a river or lake has not occurred by the
      end of the review, I will submerge the headlamp in
      water to test the effects if this happening in the
      field. Does the light still work? I have not
      experienced heavy rain or dropping it in a river up to
      this point. I have now experienced some rain and high
      humidities and the headlamp was not effected in any
      way. I did do a quick test with the headlamp being
      submerged in water at about 2 ft. (61 cm) deep for 10
      seconds while the power was on. Still no effects. The
      power stayed on and the light shone bright.

      Does water get into the bulb compartment? See previous
      answer. No, I did not see any water in the bulb
      compartment.

      Will it short out or become dim? See previous answer.
      No, the power stayed on and the light shone bright.

      If and when the headlamp is to be cleaned, how easy is
      it to disassemble to perform this task? I have not had
      to clean the inside at this point but it is very easy
      to remove the body of the headlamp from the elastic
      headband to clean behind battery compartment area. I
      have not really had to clean it except for on the
      outside and that was with mild soap and water but the
      battery compartment and rear of the headlamp is very
      easy to disassemble.

      Is there a waterproof seal that is not to be broken? I
      have not had to open the light bulb compart at this
      point. I still have not had to open the light bulb
      compartment but I don't think it's possible with out
      doing damage to the light. I have attempted to do
      nothing more that trying to pry the battery
      compartment from the base of the light with my fingers
      with no success.

      Overall I have been very pleased with the
      Princeton Tec EOS headlamp. It still stays close by me
      at all times when I am at home and on the trail. I
      will continue to use the Princeton Tec EOS as long as
      neccessary. In my opinion, it is designed very well
      and functions as said on the web site.

      Thank you again Princeton Tec and BGT for giving me
      the opportunity to test this wonderful light.

      Chuck Carnes

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • AsABat
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2005
        Chuck-

        Here's my EDITS, Edits, and Comments. Make the EDITS and consider the
        rest, posting when done. Thanks!

        Bill Jeffrey
        BGT Monitor

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Carnes
        <ctcarnes1@y...> wrote:

        > Long Term Report and Field Information
        >
        > I really have enjoyed testing the
        > Princeton Tec EOS headlamp. It has come in handy
        > during the times when I needed light without have to
        > hold a flashlight. It has become one of my favorite
        > pieces of gear and I can't imagine going hiking or
        > backpacking without it.It has held up to much abuse
        > and continues to work the way it was intended to.

        ###EDIT: You need a space before the last sentence.

        > The trips I took since my Field Report
        > were one and two nights to a local park that my son
        > and I and sometimes a friend and I like to visit.

        ###Comment: Just a suggestion: This would be less ackward written
        something like "...to a local park I like to visit with my son or a
        friend."

        > It's close enough to go quit often and it gets me out with
        > nature.

        ###EDIT: "quite"

        > some of time it was with the EOS and the other
        > times was by the light of the moon.

        ###EDIT: Capitalize "Some." You might consider leaving out the part
        about going out without the EOS, since the test is on the EOS.

        > The web site says that as long as the batteries have
        > sufficient voltage, the light will remain at a
        > constant brightness. Is the decrease in brightness
        > quick and noticeable or is it very slow to give me
        > time to change the batteries before I am sitting in
        > the dark? At this point in the testing period, I have
        > not experienced any dimness due to lack of sufficient
        > voltage. I have now experienced the batteries going
        > dead and I do see a decrease in brightness as the
        > batteries start to die.

        ###Comment: I'm not sure you have answered your question: Is the
        decrease quick or slow? In other words, should the last line be "I do
        see a GRADUAL decrease in brightness as the batteries start to die"
        or "I do see a decrease in brightness JUST as the batteries start to
        die?"

        > I would also like to see if I am able to use one hand
        > to operate the headlamp, such as turning it on and off
        > and adjusting, while on the headband. The body of the
        > headlamp is easy to adjust while on wearing it with
        > one hand. However, tuning

        ###EDIT: "turning"

        > seemed to be a
        > little difficult with gloves on but can still be done
        > single handedly. I have gotten use to be able to
        > adjust and turn the power on and off effectivly with
        > one hand.

        ###Edit: I think this should read "I have gotten use to being
        able..." as you are still able to do so. (The grammar police would
        probably suggest not using "have gotten use", maybe "I am able to
        adjust..." or "I have found I can adjust...")_

        > Is there a waterproof seal that is not to be broken? I
        > have not had to open the light bulb compart at this
        > point. I still have not had to open the light bulb
        > compartment but I don't think it's possible with out
        > doing damage to the light.

        ###EDIT: "without doing damage..."
      • Chuck Carnes
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 7, 2005
          Thanks Bill! I will edit and upload. I hate when this
          happens. I read over it several times and I didn't
          even see these simple mistakes. Thanks again.

          http://mail.yahoo.com