Re: Mountainsmith Edits

  • exec@bysky.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 2, 2008
      Tim,

      Ok on the elevation change - I see now.

      As for the Report headings, I realize the various monitors and editors edit differently, but I thought my edit was standard. Time to ask a more senior mod to step in.

      John Waters
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 2, 2008
        > As I use the BGT Report Writer I have a limited amount of flexibility in
        > this
        > sort of thing.

        If you use the Report Writer, there is no need to modify the report to match
        the date requirements. You are completely excused. I'll have an update for
        the Report Writer soon, but 'soon' is probably three or four weeks.

        Shane
      • exec@bysky.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 2, 2008
          I also use Report Writer and the report headings change from Initial to
          Field to LTR whenever I post the next report. Can you explain why Tim's are
          different from mine, please?

          John Waters

          >> As I use the BGT Report Writer I have a limited amount of flexibility in
          >> this
          >> sort of thing.
          >
          > If you use the Report Writer, there is no need to modify the report to
          > match
          > the date requirements. You are completely excused. I'll have an update
          > for
          > the Report Writer soon, but 'soon' is probably three or four weeks.
          >
          > Shane

          > http://www.eset.com

        • Roger Caffin
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 3, 2008
            > Finally, carabiner vs Carabineer...
            Check definitions.
            One is a snap-link used in rock climbing. The other is an cavalry soldier
            armed with a carbine.

            Cheers
          • Tim Tessier
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 3, 2008
              Let me ask you a question...

              Do you cut and paste all the tabs into the next section before you start? That wasn't clear let me try again...

              In Report Writer there are 3 lines for each report, however, the only one ever populated is the first one. Do you cut and paste the data from the first one into the second one, and then add your FR, then cut and paste all the data from the second into the third and do your LTR?

              If so, maybe that's why yours is working and mine isn't...

              If so, let me know... I've still got a few days before this is due so I could mess with it.

              exec@... wrote:
              I also use Report Writer and the report headings change from Initial to
              Field to LTR whenever I post the next report. Can you explain why Tim's are
              different from mine, please?

              John Waters

              >> As I use the BGT Report Writer I have a limited amount of flexibility in
              >> this
              >> sort of thing.
              >
              > If you use the Report Writer, there is no need to modify the report to
              > match
              > the date requirements. You are completely excused. I'll have an update
              > for
              > the Report Writer soon, but 'soon' is probably three or four weeks.
              >
              > Shane

              > http://www.eset.com

            • Rick Allnutt
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 3, 2008
                Roger's distinction is correct, but probably only temporary. English
                does seem to change.

                A Carabine originally referred to a lightly equipped soldier (ultralight
                hiker), later a mounted one. In old French he was a Carbine.

                After a while, carabine or carbine began to refer to a short rifle
                carried by the carabine.

                Someone discovered that carrying cartridges for a carbine worked best if
                one found a wide belt and sewed small pockets in it and slung it over
                one shoulder. Think Pancho Villa's bandoleer.

                The Germans discovered the utility of hooking the carbine onto the
                carabine's bandoleer. They called the hook a karabiner because it was
                used to hook the karabine to the karabine's bandoleer.

                The French needed a good word for the kind of hook with a closing gate
                and they called it a carabiner and began to use it for more than hooking
                a carbine to a bandoleer. They began to use it for mountain climbing
                rope work.

                Meanwhile the English needed a word for the mounted soldier carrying the
                carbine as a weapon. They christened him a carbineer and sometimes a
                carabineer. Doubtless he still hooked his carbine (carabine) to his
                bandoleer with a carabiner.

                Oh, but things got complicated when outdoor wear and things used in
                mountain climbing became popular in the 1970s! Suddenly, people
                discovered that carabiners were useful for anchoring boats and carrying
                car keys. The mini carabiner was born. As was the term 'biner, which is
                obviously pronounced beaner.

                So if someone happens to slip up and mix up carabiner and carabineer, I
                think it is something I will not correct. I hate long explanations...
                and it will likely be obvious whether the writer was referring to
                someone riding a horse and carrying a carabine (carbine) or whether they
                were referring to a small gated hook. Even 'biner is probably OK in my
                book. That shortened form might be what a
                carabine/carbine/carabineer/carbineer might have preferred anyway. Just
                don't call someone carrying a carbine a hooker.

                Please remember, when responding to this email that one of the main
                purposes of BGT is having fun.

                Rick

                Roger Caffin wrote:

                > > Finally, carabiner vs Carabineer...
                > Check definitions.
                > One is a snap-link used in rock climbing. The other is an cavalry soldier
                > armed with a carbine.
                >
                > Cheers

              • Shane Steinkamp
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 3, 2008
                  >I also use Report Writer and the report headings change from Initial to
                  > Field to LTR whenever I post the next report. Can you explain why Tim's
                  > are
                  > different from mine, please?

                  Because there are actually two versions of the Report Writer that are
                  slightly different releases. I am going to consolidate a few things. Right
                  now, though, I have to get BridGeT to be 100% before I go chopping up the
                  Report Writer.

                  Shane
                • gmail
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 3, 2008
                    Very nice reply. and some what instructive.
                    Andrew Preece

                  • theMiddleSister@usaring.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 3, 2008
                      Ah, further down in the list postings, you'll see that Shane says there are
                      actually two versions of Report Writer which explains the differences we are
                      experiencing. And no, I don't cut and paste. So carry on, ignore my edit
                      and upload.

                      John Waters
                      .
                      > Do you cut and paste all the tabs into the next section before you start?
                      > That wasn't clear let me try again...
                      >
                      > In Report Writer there are 3 lines for each report, however, the only one
                      > ever populated is the first one. Do you cut and paste the data from the
                      > first one into the second one, and then add your FR, then cut and paste
                      > all the data from the second into the third and do your LTR?
                      >
                      > If so, maybe that's why yours is working and mine isn't...
                      >
                      > If so, let me know... I've still got a few days before this is due so I
                      > could mess with it.
                      >
                      > exec@... wrote:
                      > I also use Report Writer and the report headings change from
                      > Initial to
                      > Field to LTR whenever I post the next report. Can you explain why Tim's
                      > are
                      > different from mine, please?
                      >
                      > John Waters

                    • Shane Steinkamp
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 3, 2008
                        > Ah, further down in the list postings, you'll see that Shane says there
                        > are
                        > actually two versions of Report Writer which explains the differences we
                        > are
                        > experiencing.

                        Which is actually a dark and terrible secret, so don't spread it around.

                        Shane
                      • theMiddleSister@usaring.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 3, 2008
                          Well, you will note, I'm using my wife's computer today so I will remain
                          blameless.

                          John Waters

                          >> Ah, further down in the list postings, you'll see that Shane says there
                          >> are
                          >> actually two versions of Report Writer which explains the differences we
                          >> are
                          >> experiencing.
                          >
                          > Which is actually a dark and terrible secret, so don't spread it around.
                          >
                          > Shane

                          > http://www.eset.com

                        • Shane Steinkamp
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 3, 2008
                            > Well, you will note, I'm using my wife's computer today so I will remain
                            > blameless.
                            >
                            > John Waters

                            Clever boy...

                            You already knew because you are one of the people running the second,
                            secret version.

                            Shane