Revised Application to test Brasslite Turbo I D Arnold

  • al peterson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2008
      Application to test Brasslite Turbo I D

      Arnold Peterson
      I have read the by-laws and all the required material including BGT
      Bylaws v. 0609 and will abide by the rules. I have also mailed in a
      signed test agreement in late 2006.

      Date: June 2, 2008

      Biographical Information
      Name Arnold Peterson
      Age 69
      Gender M
      Height 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      Weight 165 lb (74.8 kg)
      Email Address ALP4982 AT yahoo DOT com
      Location Wilmington Massachusetts USA

      Backpacking Background: At this time almost all my experience has
      been hiking in New Hampshire, Florida, Colorado USA, New Brunswick,
      and Nova Scotia Canada using an 11 lb (5 kg) day pack. I have
      backpacked on Mt. Washington and Imp Shelter located between North
      Carter and Mount Moriah mountains in New Hampshire. The gear I will
      be writing about has been used a lot hiking mostly all year around in
      New Hampshire. I have recently completed the forty-eight 4000 footers
      (1219 m) of New Hampshire. My longest day hike was 12 hours covering
      almost 20 miles (32 km). I spend most of my time in Mt Lafayette
      5260 ft (160 m) area of New Hampshire. There is usually snow and ice
      above 2500 ft (762 m) starting in late October.

      I will be testing the Coleman car camping stove, and that should not
      interfere with my testing a backapcking stove. I have been looking
      for a backapcking stove and have been using other backpackers stoves.

      Test locations for the Brasslite Turbo I D

      I will be testing in NH, MA, ME, and VT USA With the high cost of
      gas I have not planned trips to Canada or other places far away. I
      recently hooked up with a couple that do a lot of backpacking
      fromConcord New Hampshire and that is about an hour from my house.
      They are planning a couple backpack each month until ski season
      starts. I will be experiencing temperatures from 95 F (35 C)) to 20
      F (-7 C) and possibly lower. Winds will be up to 30 mph (48 km/hr)
      and ocasionally higher.

      Test plan for the Brasslite Turbo I D

      I will look at how well the stove packs in my backpack. How soon
      after cooking can the stove be packed in my backpack? Will it be
      easy to level the stove after placing it on an uneven surface? How
      secure is the cooking pot on the stove? The light weight attracted
      me as I need to cut down on my total weight and still have a stove
      that does the job.

      Ease of use

      A lot of the food I cook requires periods of simmering. Can the
      flame be adjusted to very low levels and remain lit? How well does
      the wind shield work? Are there any wind directions where the flame
      is vulnerable? How well does the burner distribute the heat over the
      surface of the cooking pan? Will there be any hot spots that will
      burn food? Is the burner easy to light under various weather
      conditions, like wind and rain? How much noise does the burner make
      while being used? Will it be easy to tell when the canister runs out
      while cooking?

      Will there be any degradation in the parts that are used a lot? Will
      there be any signs of corrosion during the test period? If the I D
      gets rained on, will this cause adverse effects?

      Stoves can get very dirty and can't be easily cleaned until arriving
      back at the house. Can the stove be easily cleaned even under the
      worse possible conditions? Does the stove require a lot of
      disassemble in order to get a good cleaning?

      Previously Written Reports

      Current Projects

      LTR Black Diamond Headlamp due May 13 uploaded
      LTR Kahtoola MICROspikes due June 3
      LTR Gregory Whitney Backpack due July 8 FR uploaded
      LTR Big Agnes 3 Wire Bivy due July 22
      Coleman stove
      I don't see any problems in achieving these goals.
      Applications under consideration
      MontBell jacket.
      I wish to thank those who will be evaluating my application for the
      Brasslite Turbo I D

      Arnold Peterson