REPOST APPLICATION: Brasslite Turbo I-D Stove- Peter Spiller

  • phspiller
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2008
      Let me try this again without the typing hiccups in the title.

      I would have had this completed this earlier, but administering
      finals to my classes always takes more time than I think. I am
      thrilled at the possibility of testing a quality alcohol stove such as
      this.

      here is my application:

      Please accept my application to test the Brasslite Turbo I-D Stove. I
      have read the BackpackGearTest.org bylaws v. 0609 including, but not
      limited to, Chapter 5. I will adhere the listed requirements. I
      assure you I will provide quality reports that will maintain the high
      standards of backpackgeartest.org.

      Tester Information
      Name: Peter Spiller
      Age: 38
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 0" (1.9 m)
      Weight: 190 lbs (77.1 kg)
      Email address: phspiller@...
      Website: http://www.outsidesd.com
      City: La Mesa
      State: California
      Country: USA
      Date:June 2, 2008

      Backpacking Background:

      I have been camping and hiking avidly since childhood. In the last
      several years my passion for backpacking and kayaking has grown. I am
      a Chapter Outing Leader for the Sierra-Club; I have trained in
      Wilderness First Aid and am a staff member for a Wilderness-Basics
      course. I enjoy solo backpacking and group trips. I have an
      adaptable style that is fueled by my interest in backpacking gear. I
      pack as light as possible when the situation dictates, but I am not
      against hauling creature comforts. I average 1-hike a week and
      1-backpack a month year-round.

      Field Conditions and Test Locations:

      During the duration of this test, I plan to use the Brasslite Turbo
      I-D Stove in the following locations under the following conditions:

      June

      The month of June will host two overnight backpacking trips on the
      Pacific Crest Trail. My father and I will begin formally section
      hiking the PCT this June, and complete the first two sections. We
      will be traveling from the southern trailhead to Lake Morena,
      California, and from Lake Morena to the Mount Laguna, California. The
      weight saving features of the Brasslite stove will be ideal for the
      "fast and light" nature of these trips. I have been considering
      finding a lighter alternative to my traditional canister and white gas
      stoves and think that a well made alcohol stove may just fit in that
      niche. It would be fantastic to test the stove to find out.

      The Averages in the Mount Laguna, CA for June:

      High: 89 F (31 C)
      Low: 45 F (17 C)
      Precipitation: 2.58 in (6.55 cm)
      Elevation: 6000 ft (1800 m)

      July

      I will be on a 2-week car camping trip in the Sierra Nevada Mountain
      Range, visiting areas such as Red's Meadow, and Yosemite. Day hikes
      and quick overnight backpacking trips will be a daily occurrence. The
      stove will see extensive use as a method to make warm meals and drinks
      during lunches on day hikes, and a primary cooking stove during
      overnight trips.

      The Averages in the Mammoth Lakes, CA for July:

      High: 60 F (16 C)
      Low: 53 F (12 C)
      Precipitation: 2.58 in (6.55 cm)
      Altitude: 8000 ft (2400 M) - 11000 ft (3400 M)

      August

      August concludes my summer break with a 3-day father daughter camping
      trip to Yosemite and surrounding areas. My two daughters and I will be
      car camping, and will be day hiking extensively throughout Yosemite
      and the Sierra-Nevada Mountains. The stove will serve primarily as a
      hot chocolate/coffee maker.

      The Averages in the Yosemite National Park, CA for August:

      High: 99 F (37 C)
      Low: 51 F (10 C)
      Precipitation: .14 in (.3.6 mm)
      Elevation: 4000 ft (1200 M)

      In addition to the long term planning for the listed trips, I day hike
      regularly. As the test corresponds to summer (I am a teacher with a
      summer break) the number of spontaneous backpacking trips will
      increase significantly.

      Test plan

      I love to camp year-round, and I am fortunate enough to live in an
      area that features very diverse camping conditions close by during
      most every time of year. San Diego County allows me to Kayak in
      shorts one day, and sled in a snowstorm the next. I take advantage of
      this diversity when camping, hiking and backpacking, and plan my trips
      to experience different environments during my regular outings. During
      the testing period, I will plan trips that will expose the Brasslite
      turbo I-D Stove to as many different conditions as possible to help
      evaluate it's quality and functionality.

      I have not previously used an alcohol stove. I have had a growing
      interest in reducing the weight of my cooking set-up, and have been
      considering using an alcohol stove for some time. I would be an ideal
      "alcohol stove amateur" tester, and believe I can bring a different
      perspective to the test from those who have used alcohol stoves in the
      past.

      I will test the Brasslite Turbo I-D Stove using the following criteria
      under a multitude of camping conditions:

      Quality/Durability:

      •Is the stove constructed with high quality standards?
      •Are the components durable?
      •Does the one moving part operate smoothly and reliably?
      •Is the stove true to its listed weight and dimensions?
      •Are the materials durable enough to withstand repeated packing and
      unpacking?

      Functionality:

      •Is the stove easy to set up and use?
      •What is the fuel consumption rate, does it vary in different climates?
      •How easy is it to clean the stove?
      •Is it easy and convenient to refill the fuel reservoir?
      •How long does it take to boil a predetermined volume of water?
      •How much fuel does it take to boil a predetermined volume of water?
      •Are there extraneous factors that alter the boil time?
      •Are there extraneous factors that alter fuel consumtion?
      •Are there situations in which the stove cannot boil water?
      •Can you do more that just boil water on this stove?

      Current Tests:

      I am currently testing the following gear:
      •Big Agnes Three Wire Bivy- field testing
      •Flej Solo Cup- field testing

      The newbie rule does not apply to the Brasslite Turbo I-D Stove. I am
      applying for this stove, as I have a prime opportunity to test it as
      it thoroughly indicated by my test plan. Please consider my
      application as I firmly feel I can perform an outstanding test series
      for Brasslite and Backpackgeartest.org.
      Pending Applications:

      I have 1 pending application

      REI Venturi Daypack